Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Serious question. Due to my wife being pregnant and my school being amazing we have both been at home with our daughter for the last week. The only people we see are my wife's parents who live a street away. They have been self isolating for the last week also to ensure they could still see our daughter.

Are we being dicks to continue this arrangement? We pop to theirs and vice versa but we see no one else. Advice please, I want to do the right thing here. 

We are in exactly the same situation almost down to the letter and were really grappling with this decision too. We have ultimately come to the same conclusion, and that is in part due to the responses in here. Thanks guys!

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

We are in exactly the same situation almost down to the letter and were really grappling with this decision too. We have ultimately come to the same conclusion, and that is in part due to the responses in here. Thanks guys!

We have messaged her parents and told them we are doing it by the letter, it's the right thing to do and I really feel we should lead by example as much as possible. I hope you all stay safe. 

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear about your loss, Neil. 

Matt Hancock's announcement tonight has ostensibly gone against at least some of what Johnson said last night, hasn't it? Go to work if you're not able to work from home? Does this mean places will now be Reopening? Also if you're supposed to stay at home how are they supposed to scare up a quarter of a million volunteers to help the NHS? I can't help but think they've seen how much they may have to pay out to cover wages, protect businesses etc and are now trying to cover their arses. I also wouldn't be surprised if 3 weeks from now they just declared everything was OK and tried to force people to return to their normal lives ASAP. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

If you thought the Tories were concerned about the economy, Trump is absolutely brazen:

Donald Trump is doubling down on previous comments that the US should immediately reopen the economy, bucking advice of health experts. “You can destroy a country this way by shutting it down,” he said on Tuesday.

“You’re going to lose more people by putting the country in a massive recession” or depression. “I would love to have the country opened up and just rearing to go by Easter.” (BBC)

44 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

People are still not taking this seriously enough. My brother has been in work today, just securing everything and making sure that all the flammable liquids were safely stored. The garage next to where he works were doing the same thing and had cancelled all of their work, or so they thought. A man who must have been in his 80s turned up at 10.30 having driven to just south of Lincoln from Scunthorpe wanting his car serviced because he had booked it in and even though he had the message saying it was cancelled he thought he'd be able to get it done because they had cancelled everyone else. He got told to fuck off back to Scunthorpe and stop being a dick. 

Then as he was driving home there were about 30 kids playing football on the playing fields. 

There will have to be a further lockdown yet.

Officials who got elected by convincing the public they're tired of experts and don't want to be told what to do are now dismayed to find the public ignoring expert advice and official directives.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hugh Thesz said:

Are the offices still open to register births and deaths?

Our local one says it's posting out all certificates, which implies you don't go in to register it.

The bill going through parliament at the moment changes the law so that funeral directors can register deaths, so I'd assume the idea is they go in once a day and do everybody on their books, rather than a family member going in.

• Paid Members

Sorry for your loss Neil. What you've mentioned about your g/friend's family sounds utterly grim.

• Paid Members

On a separate subject, am I the only one ambivalent about all the major takeaway chains folding up in rapid succession?

Good to know the police are actually enforcing the restrictions though. Fines will probably start being handed out soon.

Like that they tipped the BBQ over.

Utterly incredible just how pig headed people are being. Is it part of the so called "British culture" that people bang on about?