Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

47 minutes ago, seph said:

Central Bristol was fairly quiet / sensible too. Quite a lot of talk in Tescos about reduced hours, was there a mailshot regarding that, anyone?

I've found Central to North Bristol pretty decent on the whole. I'm up off the triangle (don't judge me,I was lucky enough to find a good deal :P) and all the supermarkets have been generally fine give or take some missing pasta, eggs and toilet paper (and quite a lot of the deli/food places are now selling cheap eggs / basic pasta - although dunno if they're open post lockdown).   People haven't necessarily been completely mindful of space in queues but that's it.  Toilet paper was back in on monday and it seemed only people who needed it were getting it (not that I can ascertain who *needed* it, I just mean - some people took one pack, there wasn't a kerfuffle)

EDIT: Just to be clear I'm specifying central to north because that's the only areas i've been in the last week, not denigrating any other areas!

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

I got the text from the Government. Obviously thought it was spam, but seen it from their twitter account.

I have not walked into town, no point, plus I am working, but yesterday it was dead. We took the kids out for a walk earlier around the streets and everyone who was out were keeping their distance. All except the workman repairing our pavement who were mere feet from each other. The pavement is fine, I think it is the council just draining the last of the budget. All good except for the trains who are doing Sunday service meaning that this morning the train was heaving due to another not being due for 40 minutes. I think the station should only be allowing so many people on each train. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

And I assume (hope?) I'm not the only one who got a text message about it today.

My InfoWars-influenced best friend did too, judging by his FB status: I wonder if anyone else finds it interesting that the text message the government is sending everyone has "Save the NHS" then "Save lives"? Kind of makes me question the government's priorities.

Somebody points out his misquote ("protect the NHS"), and then he gets a commonsense explanation or two: Stay at home -> protect the NHS -> save lives. It seems like a logical sequence of events to me.

Nope:

Or, what they're more concerned about is put first. In reality should protect the NHS even be on there? What are you protecting the NHS from? Finding out where it has failings? Surely if a situation shows us a problem with the NHS, that's a chance for us to fix that issue and make the NHS provide a better service, right?

I'm really mad at him for having allowed himself to digest so much of that InfoWars bullshit that he's gone down this rabbit hole. I don't think there's any way back once you've ignored the lies about Sandy Hook. I suppose we should've spotted it back when he was telling us about how Lesnar can't wrestle, that he's only got one move.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

. I'm up off the triangle (don't judge me,I was lucky enough to find a good deal :P)

Nice going. But having cash - while still really important - is marginally less important than having access to good scran. I managed to get a couple of packs of wholewheat spaghetti but no sign of hand sanitiser. There was also a noticeably reduced amount of meat for sale, although there was enough variety.

3 minutes ago, seph said:

Nice going. But having cash - while still really important - is marginally less important than having access to good scran. I managed to get a couple of packs of wholewheat spaghetti but no sign of hand sanitiser. There was also a noticeably reduced amount of meat for sale, although there was enough variety.

Ha oh yes, that's why I was requesting not to be judged ;) I feel like many of the people who live around here act like the only thing that's important is their bank balance. I feel like I could eat them if things get bad, like those pigs that've been fed on truffles

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

My wife is not coping with this very well. She completely understands the need for this but is annoyed by the actions of the idiots stopping her from seeing her parents. I know everyone is making a sacrifice, it is just so frustrating. 

The thing is, lock down or not, she shouldn't really be seeing her parents anyway. It's just now this is being enforced, or attempted to be, rather then being voluntary. 

Good news, I stand corrected. Nothing needs clarifying at all:

Mr Hancock addresses a question about the clarity of government social distancing advice and on who should be going into work.

He says the new rules are "crystal clear" - and quotes the four reasons why people should be leaving their homes.

Day one of lockdown and my blood glucose and ketone meter flashes low battery.

Nae hassle think as I bought spares.  Look to see this isn't the case.

Nae hassle I think, again, as the spares must be in my spare test kit.

Nope.

Not too serious a situation as I will be able to get some in a day or two and besides   despite being Type One since 1998, I still have all my early warning signs.

Still.  Shit

I had 40 things to do at work today, and that was just for the morning. I did one of them, and spent the rest of the day asleep. I'm planning on starting early tomorrow to catch up a bit, but because I've been asleep all day, I'm going to be awake until really late and not get up early. So tomorrow, instead of flying to Orlando, I'm gonna be tired and miserable and in big trouble. Fuck you, Covid.

23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The thing is, lock down or not, she shouldn't really be seeing her parents anyway. It's just now this is being enforced, or attempted to be, rather then being voluntary. 

I could totally understand that if she was leaving the house and being exposed to anyone but her logic is she is not being exposed to anyone. It's a shit storm in the Blog house tonight. 

• Moderators
On 3/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, neil said:

Looking like this is playing out right now, my girlfriends Dad is now in hospital with breathing issues, hoping they'll actually test him for covid-19. Whats fucked up is that her Mum can't be at the hospital and so no-one knows whats going on. Fucking horrible situation.

Sadly this happened. My girlfriends father passed away over the weekend. To put all this in a horrible context for those who think "fuck social distancing I ain't scared of it", none of their family was able to see their Dad before he passed, none of them have been able to be with their Mum during this whole time. It will be TWO WHOLE WEEKS before she's able to see anyone and has had to deal with her husband dying completely by herself.

So do stay isolated, because if one of your family gets it this is may be what you have to go through.

2 minutes ago, neil said:

Sadly this happened. My girlfriends father passed away over the weekend. To put all this in a horrible context for those who think "fuck social distancing I ain't scared of it", none of their family was able to see their Dad before he passed, none of them have been able to be with their Mum during this whole time. It will be TWO WHOLE WEEKS before she's able to see anyone and has had to deal with her husband dying completely by herself.

So do stay isolated, because if one of your family gets it this is may be what you have to go through.

That's shit.

Hope everyone is as well as they can be.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, neil said:

Thats awful, so sorry to hear that. 

That’s the nightmare situation Neil.  Not sure I could help myself, I’d want to go down there and be with my remaining parent.  Has she also been tested?