Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Went for a walk just after 1:00. Only to the local shop and back again and went on my own. Chemist was closed, but the independent bakery as well as the local Cooplands was still open as was the card shop, so go figure.

Still people about but noticeably quieter than what a normal day would be. I did pass the local police station there and back and ED-209 didn’t try to apprehend me, so so long as I stick to just that as a minimum, I can at least get out of the house and not go crazy. 

Theres also some old disused train tracks near me which I should be able to go for a wander along with little bother or chance of interaction with others

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I went for a walk at lunch and I must say it was very encouraging to see people really staying away from each other bar the odd couple here and there. Large distances on benches as well. A lot of masks floating about which gave it a weird air, but ultimately as someone said, very quiet and people being aware of each other.

I know a lot of people are going 'how will they police this?!' and I utterly agree that in London, the police cuts have been seen for the shitshow they were ever since the London Bridge attack, but I think the aim is to shit up most law abiding people into taking this seriously. That way the police can focus on gatherings that suddenly take place and dickheads. The weekend especially I imagine we'll see botos on the ground.

21 million watched Johnson on BBC/ITV yesterday, with an additional 1 mil on Ch4 and god knows how many online, so there is no fucking excuse now. Even if over half the population do it, we've got a real fucking chance.

I will have no issue reporting gatherings if I see them. This is far too big a thing.

@Ralphy - You can still go for a run or a walk. In fact DO do that, the Government are actively encouraging you. With anxiety at these times, I find it best to make a list of the stuff you can control rather than focusing on the stuff you can't. Its a piece of pop psychological waffle maybe, but I find it helps. Also you're not alone in all this, everyone is fucking anxious and terrified by all this, its just that most are drunk at the moment!

5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

21 million watched Johnson on BBC/ITV yesterday, with an additional 1 mil on Ch4 and god knows how many online, so there is no fucking excuse now.

And I assume (hope?) I'm not the only one who got a text message about it today. Unless they just think I'm a wrong 'un who needs individual warning.

10 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I went for a walk at lunch and I must say it was very encouraging to see people really staying away from each other bar the odd couple here and there. Large distances on benches as well. A lot of masks floating about which gave it a weird air, but ultimately as someone said, very quiet and people being aware of each other.

I know a lot of people are going 'how will they police this?!' and I utterly agree that in London, the police cuts have been seen for the shitshow they were ever since the London Bridge attack, but I think the aim is to shit up most law abiding people into taking this seriously. That way the police can focus on gatherings that suddenly take place and dickheads. The weekend especially I imagine we'll see botos on the ground.

21 million watched Johnson on BBC/ITV yesterday, with an additional 1 mil on Ch4 and god knows how many online

Why was it not broadcast on every channel? That’s not me trying to be a smart arse or anything, I’m genuinely asking as this is something that we’ve never had to deal with on this scale before, certainly not in my lifetime.

Bit from what I understand, when The Queen passes away there are procedures in place that the media will have to adhere to. Surely with the PM addressing the nation in the way they did last night, the first that I can remember as such, should’ve been seen by everyone, heard on every radio station etc. So why oh why was Police Interceptors still on uninterrupted?

Far, far too many people out and about for my liking today. Pretty sure I've seen the same guy take his dog for a walk 3 times. Cafe over the road has got rid of loads of food, and was kind enough to give me some for helping out, but there were regulars coming up to the door and HUGGING the fucking owners. What is the point of anything that's been said?

Got a text from the government today (I opened it and read it, it said that they were suckers). I assume it's an official communication.

There's a ten-bedroom student house next door, and they seem to have decided the best way to cope with what's going on is for them to get a load of acoustic guitars and sit outside in the garden entertaining the neighbours. While talking an absolute load of bollocks, smoking roll-ups (which is wafting through my window) and swigging wine straight out of the bottle (sharing with each other, because the virus doesn't affect young people, does it). It's going to be a long few weeks, this.

• Paid Members

Fucking family of six (four teenage kids) wandering around Sainsbury's this morning, just "going to see if there's any decent headphones". 

Purely presumption on my part, but from the sound of Dad's breathing, he's a high risk case. 

Other shoppers sarcastically laughing and announcing how they just happened to "bump into" people they know. 

Supermarket staff should be in masks and gloves if they're going to be exposed to hundreds of arseholes like these each day.

• Paid Members

I went to walk and get food in my part of London, and it was noticeably quieter than usual. Not deserted by any means, but most people I passed had food shopping with them too. Lots of masks as well. Not perfect, but definitely a step up.

• Paid Members

Central Bristol was fairly quiet / sensible too. Quite a lot of talk in Tescos about reduced hours, was there a mailshot regarding that, anyone?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I've quite enjoyed my first day of isolation so far. I've got a couple of workouts in and I bought myself a bass guitar at the weekend and have taught myself to play Super Freak and Stand By Me (badly). 

I would love for you to become the next Bernard Edwards. Learn some Chic tracks- some superb bass riffs there.

@SuperBacon I got that text from the government too, I know a couple of others as well.