Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

6 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

There are a good number of manufacturing businesses around my way that have told staff they have to work as normal, or claim SSP(they won't apply for the 80% furlough payments on their behalfs). These are not what anyone would call "essential"(one is a huge door factory that employs hundreds of people). It's just asking for trouble...

If the company shuts its doors and quickly goes out of business it'll be "essential" to those who rely on it for wages. Some companies simply aren't in a position where they can shut up shop and see how it goes.

• Paid Members
Just now, Uncle Zeb said:

For avoidance of doubt, the government really ought to define "essential" jobs - essential to who? To the public or to the company?

That's the thing the company I mentioned is using to justify it's continued opening. The staff are essential to the company. It's a division of a huge, multi-national company so can't imagine it wouldn't qualify for help from the governments funds they announce. Also, from what I can see, their biggest costomers either have, or have planned to close their doors too.

I do honestly think this country will not be the same after this. Its utterly exposed everything rotten that is here. We can only hope that some sort of post-war Atlee consensus comes in and we start to actually support the welfare state again.

This has also reminded a lot of people how fucking special the NHS is. I always hold it dear to my heart, but hopefully this reinforces those who dismiss it that while flawed, it is the greatest thing about this country.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Factotum said:

Its OK to be out as long as you're a safe distance away. I assume most are not.

Has there ever been a stupider idea from Khan then to reduce the Tube service at this time? Its led to absolutely packed trains and platforms as people have to wait longer for tubes or all go to a station that isn't there usual one.

Khan was just on LBC. He is blaming none essential people still using the tube. Basically he says the NHS and emergency service workers should be using the tube where possible. But as shown here the Government’s idea of essential workers are not the same as some businesses which are remaining open. He cited construction as being one field where he said in the Cobra meeting it’s not essential and was out ruled by the rest of government.

in theory their plans should have worked, but until those businesses can close, nothing will change

n theory their plans should have worked, but until those businesses can close, nothing will change

It would still be busy.  It was a dumb idea that wasn't thought at for me. I can sort of see closing some stations, but reduced service is still nuts. It has absolutely no affect

40 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

We've been asked to take a pay cut amid threat of redundancies. Obvious something would have to give but still a bit shit. At least my MOT and Service isn't due in April. Oh, actually, of course it fucking is!

Where do you think you'll be driving to? Barton?

You're going nowhere.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It’s hopeless, utterly utterly hopeless

We're fucked, aren't we?

"I've had my life, so if I get it and die, so what?"(paraphrased). Yeah, fuck it that you might infect and kill countless people who have not "lived their lives" and actually have empathy for others, you're ok aren't you, you toxic old cunt!

Sorry, that really made me mad! I'm locked away at home for going on 3 months, only seeing my kids, family and friends fleetingly through the window, or via video call and these fucknuts have an attitude like that...

Edited by Cod Eye

2 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I'm locked away at home for going on 3 months, only seeing my kids, family and friends fleetingly through the window, or via video call and these fucknuts have an attitude like that...

Not wanting to be nosey, but why are you only able to see your kids, family and friends for a short time through a window?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

Not wanting to be nosey, but why are you only able to see your kids, family and friends for a short time through a window?

Because I'm classified as "at risk" and live alone now. My GP ordered me to do the full 12 week lockdown, so I can't have my kids here incase they are carrying it.