Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
Just now, Undefeated Steak said:

The thought of being isolated for a prolonged period of time doesn't feel much different to a prison sentence.

You're told the end, it won't extend unless you've been a special breed of monster and if you keep your nose clean it might end early. So this situation isn't a prison sentence.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

Okay, need a bit of serious advice. I've learned my lesson tonight. I moved to Liverpool at the beginning of the year. My girlfriend still lives at hers an hour+ away. I've got a couple of mates I've met here, but no close connections or family.

Not sure if I'm thinking irrationally, but if it was you, would you head back tomorrow? I know the lockdown could be over in a few weeks but there's a possibility it could stretch into the summer. I've got a small place to live here, and I don't think it will do my mental health any good to be isolated for a month plus with virtually no interaction or family/friends to drop food off if I personally got ill.

Not even sure I'd be allowed back on the train tomorrow, but I'm sure if questioned I could explain that I'm going home?

Thanks. Again, apologies if this sounds stupid but the thought of being isolated for a prolonged period of time doesn't feel much different to a prison sentence.

It will definitely last longer than three weeks. I'd bet the house on that. So take that in consideration in making your decision. 

Also bear in mind we have fuck all police in this country so you're not going to get arrested. The police powers will only really be used to shut down shops and disperse gatherings. However if you are relying on the train and don't have a car I'd say yes, definitely go tomorrow.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I don't see how they can know whether someone's going to work or whatever. Are they going to ring your employer to check their location and when your shift starts?

Any ideas whether people will still be able to move house? Got a right lout of a neighbour who is supposed to make way for a new tenant in April according to our landlord, and I really hope this doesn't mean they'll be forced to delay moving in and the current dickhead stays put.

I've had 20% of my pay cut today so could do with some good news :D

Trivial issue compared to so many's but need a quick vent to some people who don't really know me. This has made me realize how reliant I have been on cannabis to give me more of an appetite and curb my insomnia. I'm waking up in the late afternoon and feel nauseous and bloated halfway thru any meal. I guess the latter is helping with rationing since our supermarket order will take ages, but it's tough to take any solace in that when I feel like I could pass out from malnourishment at any given moment.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I don't see how they can know whether someone's going to work or whatever. Are they going to ring your employer to check their location and when your shift starts?

Also, what happens with people who work in offices and factories? They’re not ‘non-essential shops’ so that’s probably going to be used as a loophole and a lot is going to be left to the employers’ discretion isn’t it? And many of them are likely going to just keep expecting people to carry on coming into work like normal. My brother works for a car manufacturer in a warehouse of about 200-300 people per shift. He’s heard nothing and as far as he knows he’s still in tomorrow despite his work not being essential in the current situation. 

5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Also, what happens with people who work in offices and factories? They’re not ‘non-essential shops’ so that’s probably going to be used as a loophole and a lot is going to be left to the employers’ discretion isn’t it? And many of them are likely going to just keep expecting people to carry on coming into work like normal. My brother works for a car manufacturer in a warehouse of about 200-300 people per shift. He’s heard nothing and as far as he knows he’s still in tomorrow despite his work not being essential in the current situation. 

Yeah, one gets the distinct impression, shocking though it is, that the Tories don't quite have their finger on the pulse when it comes to the way commoners work and spend their lives. First it caught them off guard that some people rent their homes, then they were blindsided by the existence of the self-employed. Now they're overlooking any jobs that can't be done from home yet aren't in shops and aren't essential to the very fabric of the nation.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

As I've just been sent home to work from here by my boss, and have just spent the last 3 hours (inc. dinner) setting up the work rig at home, I would scream in both despair and laughter if I were to get 80%ed any time soon. Beyond that it's in my contract that any redundancy comes with one-month-per-year with a 15-month cap, is that under threat?

34 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Already confusion among my family. Impression I got is that it's fine to go to work if you are unable to work from home but my brother reckons that only workers considered essential can go to work.

I'm off all week and will just ring in on Friday to find out what the score is. Assuming no one rings or texts me in the meantime.

• Paid Members
Just now, The King Of Swing said:

Already confusion among my family. Impression I got is that it's fine to go to work if you are unable to work from home but my brother reckons that only workers considered essential can go to work.

I think you're right in your definition. Though with the closure of most retail, a lot of the non-essential jobs you can't do from home should be on hold for now.