Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

There’s a new one at a petrol station round the corner from where I live. It opened today. Surely the Head Office knew they were going to make this decision and they could’ve postponed opening it? 

Because I'm a fat bastard and use the Gregg's app you have to give an email address to use it. Had an email this evening to say they were closing. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

There’s a new one at a petrol station round the corner from where I live. It opened today. Surely the Head Office knew they were going to make this decision and they could’ve postponed opening it? 

Probs just a logistics thing. Get everything ready and in order for when normality restores.
The morning ARSE says “as you were everyone” then they will be ready to go, with the 1000’s queued up around the block, itching for a bake. I imagine first day pasty sales post-lockdown will be fairly massive.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Now i may be completely wrong on this so please correct me if I am, but don't the number of new cases that it's rising by each day have to be taken with a pinch of salt in a way?

Isn't it all relative to the amount of people who are being tested? So say they announce one day that there were 45 new cases and the next day there are 400. It wouldn't necessarily be a sudden surge in cases as the second day could have had 20 times more people tested than the first day, so of course the second day number would be higher.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Wideload90 said:

Along with everyone else I've spoken to (via text) my money's on a lockdown. Hell, if all the fast food places are closing what's the point in anything else?

For a government that wants people to stay dispersed at all times, shutting down everything so that the only place you can get anything to eat frrom is a supermarket is a horrible fucking idea. Especially as all of the major supermarket delivery slots and click/collect are fully booked until Easter. The shot of the Hull Tescos, as irritable as one may find it, may be more of a sign of what's to come.

43 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Now i may be completely wrong on this so please correct me if I am, but don't the number of new cases that it's rising by each day have to be taken with a pinch of salt in a way?

Isn't it all relative to the amount of people who are being tested? So say they announce one day that there were 45 new cases and the next day there are 400. It wouldn't necessarily be a sudden surge in cases as the second day could have had 20 times more people tested than the first day, so of course the second day number would be higher.

Isn’t it a case if they aren’t testing everyone as they don’t have the kits and are only testing people once they end up in hospital? The amount of people who have it but won’t even be tested it massive. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Would local shops be exempt? One five minutes from my house and surely it would be counter productive to shut them and essentially herd people into the local ASDA.

My guess is anywhere that sells food/basics will be kept open. Makes no sense to close down the small local shops.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Isn’t it a case if they aren’t testing everyone as they don’t have the kits and are only testing people once they end up in hospital? The amount of people who have it but won’t even be tested it massive. 

I think I read they're looking into a test for whether you've already had it to try and get more accurate information. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, seph said:

For a government that wants people to stay dispersed at all times, shutting down everything so that the only place you can get anything to eat frrom is a supermarket is a horrible fucking idea. Especially as all of the major supermarket delivery slots and click/collect are fully booked until Easter. The shot of the Hull Tescos, as irritable as one may find it, may be more of a sign of what's to come.

An Italian workmate told me that the way it works over there is that they are limiting the amount of people allowed in a shop at one time, and the Police and the Army are enforcing it. A woman from Bulgaria said it was the same thing over there too.

Neither of them could understand why we aren't doing it here yet.

It's fucking horrific that I'm actually welcoming a lockdown. People round here just aren't taking things seriously at all. A chippy decided to sell Fish Suppers for ÂŁ2 so loads of dickheads were queuing all the way up the street. It's not even a GOOD chippy.

The frighting thing is how long any lockdown is going to last. I'm not sure I trust *this* Government to relinquish any sort of power, especially when we've still got a no deal Brexit to look forward to.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

The frighting thing is how long any lockdown is going to last. I'm not sure I trust *this* Government to relinquish any sort of power, especially when we've still got a no deal Brexit to look forward to.

If Hungary is anything to go by, "Well after the pandemic is in control" is your benchmark.

And if it's the chippies that weed out the twats give supermarkets breathing space then I'm all in favour or governments giving takeaway joints extra incentives to stay open. Or conscripting people to driving Tesco vans so a 75yo with COPD doesn't need to wait for Jesus to come out of the cave so he can climb into it.

• Paid Members

What's the score with exercise outdoors, i.e running? I'd just got started on the Couch to 5K nonsense and if we're completely locked in I don't think I'll go back to it once we're released back into the wild. Not that I'm taking any pleasure out of it - not getting this 'runners high' or owt so cocknose might actually bee doing me a favour. 

Thought I'd enjoy working from home but honestly it's utter cack for more than a day. I'm fucking sick of Zoom already. Everyone else's home internet in our department magically seems to be playing up all of a sudden, strangely on Fridays and Mondays. I know it's a case of woe is me and all that, but it's something of a mental war of attrition.