Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

It no doubt makes them feel less useless themselves to be doing something helpful at a time like this. You're the excuse they need - indulge them! 🙂

Also, people are feeling very out of control / impotent right now and so much of what we need to do is involved in "not doing" rather than "doing". You'd probably find it'd make your friends feel a little better for being able to go and do something that helps someone else

EDIT: Ha, above post wasn't there when I typed this. Great minds and all that ;)

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

I'm half anticipating hearing similar from my GP. If I don't I'd be very surprised if my other half didn't. 

Looks like I'm gonna be off work for two weeks too. My lady has the asthma and an under active thyroid so she's at risk and a couple of the kids suffer with their chests. I'm hunky dory but coming in to contact with many people on a daily basis is indirectly putting the fam at risk and I'm fortunate enough to have the option of full pay in self isolation.

Dreading it though, really gonna miss the head space i get from walking around all day putting my willy through peoples post box's etc. Not sure how we'll work it either as I don't see how I can fully self isolate when I see my other children and there's no one who would be less at risk than me doing the shops etc.

Think I'll just have to hazmat it up for the essential trips out and think of it as lessening the exposure compared to what it would be. 

4 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

If you're in the household then you need to be under lockdown as well, as far as I understand it. Otherwise there'd be no point.

This is the conundrum. The best solution we can come up with is they all stay in and I'll do the essential trips food, medicine etc. In theory I'll be social distancing whilst they're isolated but even then it's iffy and I'm pretty sure I won't be fully paid for that.

Still, better less exposure than maximum. 

It feels like we're living in a simulation. Not because of the apparent madness, but because of not knowing who these 'people' are. I've arguably been in more contact remotely with friends, family, work colleagues and business contacts over the past few weeks than I ever was before in person. Not one of the hundreds of people I've spoken to have stock-piled, or seen anyone stock-piling. Yet 'people' clearly are.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

It feels like we're living in a simulation. Not because of the apparent madness, but because of not knowing who these 'people' are. I've arguably been in more contact remotely with friends, family, work colleagues and business contacts over the past few weeks than I ever was before in person. Not one of the hundreds of people I've spoken to have stock-piled, or seen anyone stock-piling. Yet 'people' clearly are.

There's an interesting take on the "stock piling" in the thread below. Suspect it's not far off true. The supply system has been broken by everyone just buying a little more and then the fervour over empty shelves as a result has led everyone to rush out "just in case" and add to it. It's like the bog roll shortage. A friend works for a supplier and posted this pic on FB. There's no shortage. It's just getting it on the shelves as quickly as it was suddenly needed.

image.png.fa00fe7d489632f65d5f8dc82c4525e8.png

It's an interesting thought but something about it doesn't add up. I find it hard to believe that there's only been a 10% increase in supermarket revenue. I'd be interested to see what it was compared to the same period last year. A 10% difference might account for some variation and shortages, but not mass shortages like we've seen. I have no knowledge of the industry but I'd be amazed if supermarkets don't have systems in place to deal with variations to that degree. That there has supposedly been warehouses full of toilet rolls but no infrastructure to get them to the shops in time also doesn't make much sense. I'd be more inclined to believe that supermarkets have intentionally throttled the supply of certain products in order to increase demand and customer spending. It would be a more realistic explanation from a commerce perspective.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I'm bored now. After just three days. Only so many darts I can throw. 

Pray for Butch. 

Yeah I can’t go out because I’m a part time carer for my parents and they’re high risk. I’m almost at a Richard Herring stage of playing Me1 vs Me2 with darts. At least I’ll be going back to the league season in great form. Whenever that is. 

34 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

There's an interesting take on the "stock piling" in the thread below. Suspect it's not far off true. The supply system has been broken by everyone just buying a little more and then the fervour over empty shelves as a result has led everyone to rush out "just in case" and add to it. It's like the bog roll shortage. A friend works for a supplier and posted this pic on FB. There's no shortage. It's just getting it on the shelves as quickly as it was suddenly needed.

image.png.fa00fe7d489632f65d5f8dc82c4525e8.png

It's restrictive as well regarding stock. Supermarkets can't just put up extra shelving quickly or plonk random pallets on the shopfloor due to restrictions/spacing/regulations.

And to be honest, would they want to? Would this herd mentality be even worse if they saw that kind of thing in the shop.