Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Is the no work forĀ 80% pay thing optional, or am I not allowed it because I can work from home?

If your employer believes you can work from home and asks you to do so, then I don't think you're entitledĀ to say "Nah, can you just ask the government to pay me to watch Murder, She Wrote instead?"

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Is the no work forĀ 80% pay thing optional, or am I not allowed it because I can work from home?

They're still working out the logistics, but the principle is that the government pays a grant to the employer to cover any staff who aren't working but remain on payroll.

58 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If your employer believes you can work from home and asks you to do so, then I don't think you're entitledĀ to say "Nah, can you just ask the government to pay me to watch Murder, She Wrote instead?"

Fucksake, I wish I worked in a pub now.

4 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Pubs have been offically closed for what, 15 hours? I've already had messages from mates with 7 pubs in Barnsley that are staying open "via the side door", lock-in style. We're fooked, arent we?

You put 3 pubs on the BBS, you little tinker.

• Paid Members

The hotel I work in shut down today, for at least two months. I'm not sureĀ where that leaves me work-wise. I'm on a salary, and a lot of people are saying we're going to get our full pay, with the hotel paying the extra 20% that the Government won't cover. I'm not convinced but I've got a meeting on Monday where I'll find out for sure.

I have, kind of, been offered a job in a Care Home that I used to work in. I've spent the last few days weighing things up but I think I'm only going to go back if I really really need to. I feel like a cunt writing that but, really, as much as I want to help, I know a lot of Chefs who are desperate for a job right now, and I'd rather it went to them. A few boys I work with are planning to find new jobs on top of their existing salary, which just feels a bit wrongĀ to me. Like I'm taking advantage of this horrible situation.

I've also had a bizarre falling out with my Aunt about the above. She's insisting that topping up my "free" salary with another job would be fraud and I'd get arrested. I said that it doesn't really matter because I'm not doing it anyway....and she hung up on me. She's in her 60s is diabetic and, so far, has been treating COVID-19 like a joke. I think it might finally be sinking into her just how serious this is going to be, which is a relief I suppose, even if lashing out at me is going to be a bit of a pain.

I hope all are doing okay. Found it hard today, if I'm totally honest, but obviously it's difficult for everyone. Now for some proper first world problems. I've basically moved back in with my parents and there's no WiFi in the house. Is there anyway I can remedy this fairly quickly and without spending an absolute fortune? I'm a real novice with the technology, is a dongle thing a viable alternative? Our combined income is very low at the moment, but I'm concerned I will go mad at this rate.