The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, LCJ said:

WWE buried Sting on purpose as he was a WCW guy and was the company's top guy when WCW was on top of the world and kicking the WWF's arse in the ratings every Monday Night.

You're allowed to stop believing this now you're a grown-up (presumably).

From a kayfabe point of view, why would AEW hire that jobber who faced Abadon? It said it was her AEW debut and that she had a 0-5 record for 2020. You wouldn't see UFC signing a fighter who is on a 5-match losing streak. 

Speaking of Abadon, has there ever been a proper 'horror' gimmick done before in wrestling? There's been lots of spooky and supernatural gimmicks, and I know we have people like The Fiend and in the past guys like Kane, Undertaker, Boogeyman, but I wouldn't class them as horror as they were always presented like they were slightly toned down a bit.

Horror in wrestling always seemed to be done slightly campy and tongue-in-cheek. Like it was part of a comedy bit rather than trying to get actual scares.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

It was only a limited appearance deal. I think that was more than enough of him tbh. 

I was entirely up for giving him a chance, but there was nothing there. A shame, after he kicked off the kind of online stuff BTE ended up doing so well. 

The best things to come out of his run were the Dark Order skit with Silver covered in red paint, and the nickname Mid Cardona.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

From a kayfabe point of view, why would AEW hire that jobber who faced Abadon? It said it was her AEW debut and that she had a 0-5 record for 2020. You wouldn't see UFC signing a fighter who is on a 5-match losing streak. 

Wrestling isn't UFC. There's a rich tradition of jobbers in wrestling.

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

What would you class as a "proper horror" gimmick though?

I suppose Vince McMahon's "kiss my ass" thing was two thirds of a Human Centipede.

I love the Abadon gimmick and it would be fine for Shida to show fear if only she hadn't beaten Abadon on Dark already.

I'm usually all for letting the younger talent get a shot at appearing on the "A" show and pairing them up with the veterans is a great way to elevate them, but blimey, didn't Lee Johnson look like the work experience lad? They need to show him how to appear confident on camera.

JR’s Valium gimmick is continuing; his mention of Sting being about to appear was said with the energy of announcing you are putting the bin out. 
The Shaq and Brandi section was a shocker. 
Jake Roberts pyjamas were startling and somehow courageous. 
I wish I’d known Callis was going to cut pretty much the same promo here that he did on Impact because then I wouldn’t have had to watch Impact. 

Edited by Project Nim
Typo

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Speaking of Abadon, has there ever been a proper 'horror' gimmick done before in wrestling? There's been lots of spooky and supernatural gimmicks, and I know we have people like The Fiend and in the past guys like Kane, Undertaker, Boogeyman, but I wouldn't class them as horror as they were always presented like they were slightly toned down a bit.

Horror in wrestling always seemed to be done slightly campy and tongue-in-cheek. Like it was part of a comedy bit rather than trying to get actual scares.

Sean Gannon, let’s just leave it at that