The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Random thing to add in here, but as utter dogshit as she is an in-ring performer, it's mad that Rebel feels more apart of a company and fits in than an established performer like Vickie Guerrero. I'd compare Matt Cardona in that too but he proved to be a complete write-off. I absolutely love Rebel in her role as Britt Baker's Ed McMahon sidekick on these Waiting Room segments on DARK. Sends herself up as a bit of a goof/awkward white woman. Her mom bopping to the Acclaimed free-styling was absolutely piss funny.

Britt Baker is a bit of an interesting character actually. Super successful, two high profile professions, and yet such an arrogant heel, she evidently has absolutely no real friends and hangs around with an interviewer she gaslights and her milfy paid for assistant. I still don't quite get the Schiavone/Britt thing but they have absolutely superb chemistry and all of them hit their comic beats brilliantly.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Chili said:

Random thing to add in here, but as utter dogshit as she is an in-ring performer, it's mad that Rebel feels more apart of a company and fits in than an established performer like Vickie Guerrero. I'd compare Matt Cardona in that too but he proved to be a complete write-off. I absolutely love Rebel in her role as Britt Baker's Ed McMahon sidekick on these Waiting Room segments on DARK. Sends herself up as a bit of a goof/awkward white woman. Her mom bopping to the Acclaimed free-styling was absolutely piss funny.

Firstly, it goes without saying that the lacky has been one of the easiest and best stories to tell in wrestling for the last 30-odd years. Anyone with an ounce of personality can make it very fun, very quickly and Rebel has done that. Baker is just tremendous so it's a great little partnership.

I'm not sure it is that mad though. It's the difference between taking a person people don't know, giving them an act, writing for them, building their relationship with others and slowly and surely building a character that people love or hate and taking a ready made act whose entire story arc is "She's Vicky Guerrero".

I like Vicky G, she made a decent career for herself and she's a decent performer. But there's very little to her. If you're not going to put effort into it, she's going to flounder. It's not too disimilar to Tully Blanchard. Obviously he has a bit more nous for the industry and he's cut the odd decent promo but aside from the fact that he' Tully Blanchard, there's no story being told.

Edited by tiger_rick

Yeah that is a good point, Rebel was for me 'oh god that woman from that Mike Knox thing' in TNA but a few vignettes cleared that away. I guess she is doing a different character so I can see how this works against say Vickie, again I think it's because as a performer Vickie is great as the wrestling Karen act. I'd have gone La Familia and her paired with Diamante and Ivelesse at least, they've been featured more in general than Nyla Rose but then I know this also a big roster/waiting for the new show to be added deal as well.

What annoys me about Vickie is that Nyla doesn't need her imo and was doing just fine until they kneecapped her by switching the title. 

They could have easily held off on Shida for a while longer.

Still not sure what the fuck the point was with Vickie chewing her out at the PPV. Going on Dark last night they seem to have dropped it already. 

#LONGTERMBOOKING

The 'it's Vicky Guerrero' being the sum total of Vicky Guerrero's gimmick is the reason why I was disappointed by Sting's unaltered look on Dynamite. He got the Legends run with WWE so that made sense for him to stick to the classic look, but before that in TNA, he seemed to make a genuine effort to create TNA Stings, whether it be Joker Sting or the aforementioned (and tbh probably my favourite) Super Sting. With AEW's neon branding or the show's Winter Is Coming cold blue gimmick, there was a prime opportunity for them to not only have Sting turn up, but also show what is special about the Stinger in AEW. Don't get me wrong - the Stinger booked four angles I'm instantly invested in by just looking at four people, which is incredible. But I'd've liked to see something more than the old facepaint and a velour trench coat over a t shirt and jeans. It was played out under dark mood lighting, so maybe there was something there that just didn't show, and there's always the chance that over the next few weeks, if he's involved that much, Sting develops into a new incarnation for this run. We'll see, I guess.

Golden Don is a blinding nickname. Nice to see Omega has his Cleaner hair back.

I couldn't give a stuff about the majority of the Impact roster, but I'd be all for Johnny Swinger, Chad Too Bad and Sex Ferguson gunning for a trios belt.

Why do people think Sting should be turning up as something or someone different? It's fucking madness. If you're signing Sting it's because he's Sting. If he turns up as some other gimmick it's going to look second rate and confusing and ultimately disappointing.

If he sticks around to the point where it's a bit stale they may have a chance to change things up then, but certainly not for a debut.

• Paid Members

Not sure what to make of that episode. It felt a bit anti-climactic after last week and the tease on Impact. I think the show was good, but the layout of the segments was off. 

Sting was brilliant, the way he shut Cody down made me chuckle and it was good to see him more animated rather than just skulking around being all brooding. 

Kenny is the best heel in wrestling not named Roman Reigns at the moment, what a star. He still comes across like an absolute geek, but that just heightens the heel act for me. 

The ending should have been done earlier in the night, the show should have ended with Kenny or Sting. I've lost complete interest in Miro now, the angle shouldn't be the main event at all.

The Inner Circle stuff was good, I just worry that they have seemingly lost a bit of momentum from where they were and they feel quite midcard. Ortiz is brilliant, him being serious just showed there is a lot more to him than just the crazy comedy guy. I really want to see Hagar and Wardlow tear through the tag division. Jericho is looking older by each episode that passes.

Brandi being Brandi came across as such a heel throwing the water at Shaq after he didn't really do a lot. It looks like it is all built for a match between Jade and Brandi, mind you, not sure I'm bothered about seeing a Shaq match either. 

The Dark Order stuff was great from top to bottom and their line about Dustin being the third most important Rhodes in the company was great, I'm not even sure Cody is in first place. Silver and Reynolds waving the cowboy hats behind Hangman made me roll. I get so distracted by Silvers big arms and tiny hands, it's such a strange visual. Silver has so much charisma and comedic timing, he's the MVP of the Dark Order. I really hope he stands up to Brody when he returns.

The rest was kind of just there, but even the bits that wasn't so great or just average were watchable. 

No Britt or Thunder Rosa was a bit disappointing.

Edited by Nick James

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

The ending should have been done earlier in the night, the show should have ended with Kenny or Sting. I've lost complete interest in Miro now, the angle shouldn't be the main event at all.

I'm not sure I agree, it made Miro look like a huge deal, and generally quite dangerous. This combined with his performance last week gives them something to build on if they want to get Miro to the level he has the potential to reach. 

The whole show felt chaotic and I can't decide whether that was a bad or a good thing. Sting was great, Omega was odd but good, although the fact we didn't get the announcement he promised was a bit frustrating. 

The Shaq interview was bizarre. They introduced Brandi first and almost made him feel like an afterthought.  While Cody, The Bucks and Kenny have gone out of their way to avoid allegations of over-pushing themselves to the detriment of others, Brandi seems to have thought "nah, fuck that!" She's been inserted into high profile angle after high profile angle with no obvious benefit to anyone. I'm sure they'd justify this mess by saying "ah, but we're building up Jade Cargill!", but she's felt like a secondary figure in all of this so far.  

Sammy was fantastic during the Inner Circle segment, and I hope they go with Sammy Vs. MJF sooner rather than later, it's a match I'm really excited about.

Hangman teaming with the Dark Order next week should be a lot of fun, and I wonder if it'll lead to the return of Brodie Lee, with Reynolds and Silver skulking off to their temperamental master?

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

Hangman freeing the Dark Order from the brutal Brodie Lee would be a great feud for a few months. The idea that, without Brodie Lee, the Dark Order has become this loveable, wholesome supportive group is just so much fun. Here's what I'd like to see:

Brodie comes back, furious. Between Dark and Adrenaline over a couple of weeks, he hands out punishment beatings (in handicap and then one-on-one matches) to the entire Dark Order, to put them back in line. Hangman comes to the rescue, and challenges Brodie Lee - if Lee wins, Hangman has to join the Dark Order under Brodie Lee. If Hangman wins, Lee has to quit the Dark Order. 

Hangman wins, and the Dark Order come out to support their new leader - but Hangman hands the leadership over to Evil Uno instead. Page rides off into the sunset to keep building towards the inevitable Omega feud and the Dark Order becomes the face, comedy, wholesome cult that everyone wants them to be.