The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 hours ago, Louch said:

What I liked about the main event was the mic shot wasn’t the finish. Too often we see a weapon or a low blow And that’s it. Instead this was just the momentum change. It wasn’t just a mic between the eyes, it was that, then the multiple V Triggers, THEN the one winged angel. It wasn’t a clean finish, but wasn’t leaving the weapon as what won it to me.

Reminded me of Lesnar vs Eddie that the Goldberg spear changed things, but it was Eddie’s DDT then frog splash that defeated Brock. Makes the champions moves credible, and wasn’t won on a fluke like most first time wwe champions have been crowned over the last 15 years or so. 

Great point here, we've seen too much of that nonsense from WWE, including this below, where a 50 year old Triple H in a suit wins the title for Kevin Owens. Who is made to look like an absolute jabroni with this finish, because he couldn't get the job done himself, and he gladly crawls over to get the pin. 

• Paid Members

Everything about the main event was awesome in my opinion. Something completely different to what the WWE are offering up. Very gritty, the blood, the black eyes, the stiffness of the shots. One of their best outings I felt. Even the running to the back... something about it just felt like anything could and would happen. 

Not fussed with anyone on impact but it is again a different angle, fresh and generated plenty of interest so happy to see how it plays out.

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Spelling

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

Is the Impact wrestling shown on 5Star up to date?

I've set the box to download it on next Saturday, but I'll sack it off if it's likely to be a random episode from August 2017.

Its up to date but there's an earlier screening on Freesports at 10pm on Wednesdays which is in HD so has much better picture quality too.

Is it just me or is Dynamite being shown later and later on ITV4 on Fridays? I've usually dipped in and out to AEW but am sure it was closer to 10pm initially but started at something like 11.40pm last night.

Edited by garynysmon

• Awards Moderator

Really enjoyed the opening battle royal this week. Four or five stories woven into it, with the addition of several people like Miro and Jungle Boy looking great.

Sting turning up was great in itself, but it was Schiavone that made it special.

Enjoyed the main event too, because right up until the end I didn’t know who was going to win. Can’t say I was expecting “see you on Impact” either way!

• Paid Members

Yeah. I don’t know why anyone would complain that the microphone shot wasn’t the finish. That final sprint of brutal looking V-Triggers was amazing. Made Moxley look way better than if a shitty weapon shot ended a ten month Title reign. Kenny cheated to win, so the heat is still there, but Kenny still needed to practically murder him afterwards to get the three count.

I wonder if Mox will get an immediate rematch? It doesn’t seem to be AEW’s style but this is the one time where I want to see it.

Is there a legal way to watch Impact live in the UK?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Is there a legal way to watch Impact live in the UK?

Never tried personally as I just watch on Wednesday nights or Sky+. But while the main Twitch feed is region blocked, there are quite a few people that host watchalongs that are not. 

This is one I believe. 

(If you're that keen I'd just look for a dodgy stream tbh).

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Schiavone and JR losing their minds over Sting while the crowd reacted the way they did gave me chills. I'm a huge mark for Sting. Seeing him face to face with Uncle Arn was pretty awesome as well. JR seems to be getting back to some better form on commentary. 

The battle Royal was pretty cool. Cassidy & MJF could be interesting. 

Are the Bucks supposed to be faces? That was a pretty heelish promo they did, but then they get ambushed by the challengers for next week?

Main event was good. Callis was really good on commentary. Does he do any on Impact? That finish was clever, and it'll definitely get eyes on impact 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the Sting bit, I had avoided spoilers so had no idea he was going to be there. The music, video and snow were brilliant. Such a shame a moment like that didn't have an arena full of fans there for it. I did get a chuckle out of JR later announcing that Tony Khan had signed Sting to a multi-year deal though. I really don't want to see him bumping around so I hope they can find creative ways to get him involved without too much physicality and most importantly, without diminishing his mystique. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Schiavone and JR losing their minds over Sting while the crowd reacted the way they did gave me chills. I'm a huge mark for Sting. Seeing him face to face with Uncle Arn was pretty awesome as well. JR seems to be getting back to some better form on commentary. 

Main event was good. Callis was really good on commentary. Does he do any on Impact? That finish was clever, and it'll definitely get eyes on impact 

Callis used to commentate on Impact every week but only seems to do the PPV's nowadays. I'm kind of hopeful he's on the call on Tuesday actually as the first thing the new viewers will moan about is Josh Mathews and even moreso if his mrs, Madison Rayne, is on colour as she has been most weeks.

Agree re: Sting, but having watched it last night the show in general was a joy to behond I have to admit.  All considered, I haven't enjoyed an episode of weekly TV nor been so invested in an angle since early 2010 with the short lived TNA Monday night experiment and the run-up to Bret v McMahon and Undertaker v HBK II. 

I'd watched clips from the two main angles from Dynamite but have'nt watched much AEW over the past year as I've been a bit hot and cold on the product.  To me it seemed all too often that AEW was just signing wrestlers to an already full enough roster with the initial pop in mind but little idea what to do with them afterwards. Seeing quite big names seemingly floundering in the battle royal at the start didnt' do much to dissuade me. (I will never 'get' Orange Cassidy either!)

But generally I really enjoyed it. I can't begin to say how much I love having the voices of the Monday Night Wars narrating a wrestling show in 2020, it just adds so much to me. I don't really care if JR is well past his best even, it works in a three man booth and especially so for the big moments.

Having admittedly not watched one, this episode certainly felt like a PPV quality show and was a breeze to get through. I've said this before but I detest the WWE's modern presentation style so much that I can't really fathom why anyone would want to still bother with them these days, I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

There are so many options out there with AEW obviously filling the "big time wrestling" box. 

In regards to the crossover, Impact will obviously benefit from the rub this will provide and I couldn't be happier for them. I'm an Impact guy at heart and while not everyone will agree, they really deserve more eyes on the product and certainly not the disdain of having to continually pay for what was done by previous regimes and those that seem to relish either purposely ignoring them or using them as the butt of every joke.

I don't think the management are under any illusions over Impact's position in the industry and are not a threat to the big budget promotions. That said, for many reasons it is a viable number three (and above the NWA and ROH I would argue) and the angle makes a lot of sense. 

A lot are claiming that New Japan would have been a better 'invasion' partner, but New Japan and its stars are even more niche to a general non-Japanese audience than TNA/Impact. Maybe not to a wrestling purist but they're going to be watching AEW anyway.

At the end of the day is it really going to lose AEW viewers or support? I'd argue no. It may well end up getting some more eyes on Impact but is that really detrimental to AEW? In the long term if they have somewhere to send some developmental talent to work on international TV and not have to fill Dark tapings with 14 fucking matches every week, how is that a bad thing?

More importantly there's enough of an established relationship, and vitally trust, between the top brass of Impact and some of the AEW EVP's to make it viable. Probably the biggest reason of all of why its Impact and not another company. 

Edited by garynysmon