The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

So Cody Rhodes is in the Sting angle. The Shaq angle. And the Tazz angle. And probably in the TNA vs AEW shit as well. Over exposed a bit, no?

They should build it up to an 8 man at a PPV of Brian Cage, Hobbs, Stark and Shaq vs Cody, Sting, Darby and Dustin match, which would probably be the best way to protect Sting and Shaq

• Paid Members

Sting! I just saw a picture. I've not watched AEW in ages, but suddenly I want to watch again. Are they building to a match format similar to, but legally distinct from, War Games? 

8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Sting! I just saw a picture. I've not watched AEW in ages, but suddenly I want to watch again. Are they building to a match format similar to, but legally distinct from, War Games? 

They advertised a Ware Games style match just before the pandemic hit. 

Called it Blood and Guts. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Sting will turn on Cody before Revolution leading to a match, calling it now 

It'll be a sort of passing-of-the-torch for the Most Betrayed Gullible Wrestler gimmick.

Sting has been added to AEW’s roster page as a wrestler, complete with a win/loss record section, so presumably he actually will be wrestling for AEW: https://www.allelitewrestling.com/roster

I’m not completely sure how I feel about that, but I hope they’re sensible about what he does in the ring. Although their track record as far as that goes isn’t exactly great. 

11 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Sting has been added to AEW’s roster page as a wrestler, complete with a win/loss record section, so presumably he actually will be wrestling for AEW: https://www.allelitewrestling.com/roster

I’m not completely sure how I feel about that, but I hope they’re sensible about what he does in the ring. Although their track record as far as that goes isn’t exactly great. 

He's involved with Darby. What could possibly go wrong?!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Darby bumps around and kills himself while Sting never leaves his feet?

I'd expect Darby to be the Ricky Morton/Shawn Michaels of any tag team, and given how good Sting's fire is, it should be a no-brainer.

• Paid Members

The Sting debut pissed all over his WWE debut for one reason only. Tony Schiavone.

I don’t know how anyone can watch that segment and not vote Big Tone as the commentator of the year. He’s either the best actor ever or he’s genuinely the happiest, most enthusiastic man in the business. I think it’s the latter but the beauty is that it doesn’t matter either way. He’s a joy to listen to, constantly elevating these big moments and making me feel like a kid again watching them. I fucking love him. When they announced he was interviewing Sting next week I nearly punched the air.

The two extreme ends of the commentary spectrum are Tony Schiavone shouting, “IT’S STING!” and Michael Cole shouting, “IT’S BOSS TIME!”

1 minute ago, Louch said:

The real Big Tony is the voice and reaction of every lapsed fan tuning in for the first time. What a man 

Absolutely. And that's what those moments need. Just like JR used to do when he actually gave a shit.

As professional as Michael Cole is, and I have no doubt he does an incredible job of carrying broadcasts regularly, his style is just so detached from reality these days. Getting in the catchphrase and soundbites to the point where you could probably replace him with the video game version and no one would notice.

Tony has been such a pleasure on AEW because his enjoyment is so infectious. His enthusiasm draws you in and convinces you that it's a product worth watching or that a specific moment is special. Cole on the other hand is just the same every week.