The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I'd think that after Omega telling Moxley to leave the garbage wrestling and weapons at home, something like Kenny twatting him with a chair on the sly and stealing the win that way would be fantastic. My only worry would be if they went with something like that is would commentary (read JR) sell it right?

26 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I'd think that after Omega telling Moxley to leave the garbage wrestling and weapons at home, something like Kenny twatting him with a chair on the sly and stealing the win that way would be fantastic. My only worry would be if they went with something like that is would commentary (read JR) sell it right?

The Cleaner? A loaded broom, surely?

32 minutes ago, Nick James said:

It's a great feeling to have televised show for the first time in ages that you feel you have to avoid spoilers before watching because it feels like such a big deal. 

Funnily enough this is something I do try and do on a regular basis, simply because I like to be surprised no matter what. Wrestling always has that element of surprise - whether it's a result or a debut or someone returning etc. That's part of why I love it so much - that there are so many different twists and turns along the way with various different elements. I know a lot of people read results and then decide whether to watch a show or not, but for me the unknown is always a huge part of why I bother watching in the first place. Certainly AEW and NXT are both high up there for ones I'd much rather watch going in blind, as well as SmackDown as of late. I'd say RAW is probably the only one I gauge based on feedback as to whether to watch or not, and that's simply because it's so damn long. But even then I'll still make an effort to watch post-PPV shows spoiler-free because I love the feeling that anything could happen - even if it rarely does!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

It's going to be hell avoiding spoilers on Thursday, but I'm looking forward to Mox/Omega. Partly, because I have no idea which way they're going to go.

Don't get me wrong, I think Omega is probably going to win and we'll go with him as the dickhead champion. Ideally, it'll be after he has this clean, 'gentlemen's-agreement' match he's been talking about, and then cheats to win because, again, he's a massive dickhead. And then he goes on and on about how he's the best bout machine, while cheating more and more often. 

Yeah, it could easily go either way - the obvious is that it's a gentleman's agreement thing and he breaks it by cheating to win, but I hadn't considered the prospect of Kenny fighting fair and still losing. That could be the catalyst to see him snap even further at a later date, or even just immediately after the match.

If the story continues to be Kenny and Page both failing to live up to the hype and not knowing how to deal with it, but Omega's coping mechanism being that he becomes more delusional while Page's is that he regroups and becomes the heroic babyface he needs to be, it could add up to a far greater story with or without the belt involved. 

Omega's worst enemy in all of this, though, is Kenny Omega. We saw a glimpse of it when he squashed Sonny Kiss, but he needs to be prepared to book himself in matches where he's not "Kenny Omega". Either violent squashes, or quick losses because he gets despondent that he's not the Best Bout Machine any more. 

47 minutes ago, Chili said:

A Mustard Packet throwing contest has never been so oddly frustrating yet utterly compelling.

They went a little too haha with the hangman bit, but hangman joining the dark order and then the inevitable break away is going to be a great way to fill the time before he takes l his rightful place at the top of the mountain...... 

Decided to catch up on some AEW.

If I was WWE I’d sign those those ‘Top Flight’ kids immediately. Train them, cultivate them and you have your new Rockers style team. 19 and 21. 

These kids could be a future money printing machine. In AEW they will just become ‘high spots team nr.5’

Edited by LWOLeN

5 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Decided to catch up on some AEW.

If I was WWE I’d sign those those ‘Top Flight’ kids immediately. Train them, cultivate them and you have your new Rockers style team. 19 and 21. 

These kids could be a future money printing machine. In AEW they will just become ‘high spots team nr.5’

At least AEW seem to put effort into the tag division though. WWE is such a risky place for a tag team. Depends on what day of the week it is as to whether they give a shit about you or not.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

In AEW they will just become ‘high spots team nr.5’

Modern WWE style is basically a high spot based style. Their roster is full of young guys doing high spots and not much else, Top Flight would be in NXT or 205 Live doing fuck all if they had signed with WWE.

I've liked Mox saying someone is gonna beat him at some point, these wars as champion have taken there toll etc, just a different slant rather than a confident unbeatable champion.

But they have to go with Omega, no more teasing or building, this is it pull the (v) trigger and make him a proper top heel champion.

• Paid Members

Something’s just occurred to me watching that incredible video for the second time.

That same scrub from last year, Kenny Omega? Mr. 50/50? The chump of the century? The disappointment to end all disappointments? 

I think he’s my wrestler of the year!

One thing I can't help thinking about - and I'd absolutely love to hear about in a shoot video or something one day - is just how much of AEW's booking really is long term and as designed, and how much of it has been a learning experience for them along the way, as well as adapting to things like fan feedback.

There's quite a few things that you look back at in hindsight and think they actually work quite well as part of a bigger picture, but at the time we were quite disappointed by.

I guess it'll be the same as any company - some situations more luck than judgement. But I do get the feeling that actually they enjoy winding together all these intricate storylines over time.

Omega's a perfect example. Where he is now is absolutely perfect and it feels all the more satisfying after what he was doing before it, and yet I've been quite vocal and disappointed about him before. Now not so much, and actually his journey has made what he's become now a lot more rewarding. But was that always his plan? I'd probably take all the credit and say yes if I were in his position.