The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Archer should be a babyface in the sense that his character is exactly the same, the only difference is he's beating up heels instead of babyfaces. They don't need to change anything. Big mental bloke who kills everyone works perfectly either good guy or bad guy.

Reading that actually made me realise what I disliked about that segment. I get that Archer doesn't like Kingston but rushing out specifically to save Pac really doesn't fit his character at all. He could've gone after Eddie at any point, while he was doing commentary, but he only came out when Pac was getting battered. It made it feel like a pure babyface move from a guy who, like you said, should just be going around killing everybody.

It felt like it could've done with a bit more build up and some explanation as to why he picked that particular moment. I mean, looking it up, it's been a month since Kingston, Fenix and Penta attacked him after his match with Moxley!

Like Hobbs last week, I've no problem with the turn itself. It's just felt like it was missing something in the execution.

Great fun show, starting with Hangman getting me up in the morning. I'm not 100% aboard the John Silver train, but his ascension combined with Evil Uno stepping forward in Brodie's absence COMBINED with building on what could've been a throwaway angle with Page and the DO from months ago is really coming together. Another instance of great layered, logical booking. There's a ton of ways Brodie's return can go down.

TH2 vs Top Flight was fine, I guess. TF are generic as they come, and TH2 wrestle weirdly slow. Penta and Fenix have blended lucha with American Pro wres MUCH better. The Bucks are guilty of every trope WWE bored me of years ago. Throwing your jacket and slowing backing away from the opponent you've run off.

Nice simple promo from FTR, only let down by the tiny niggle that they should have taped down the formica patio table they were sat at, so it didn't wobble so cheaply. Them and Tully back-lit in bomber jackets look boss.

The whole Hobbs match was a bit of a mess. Him and Johnson were out of sync, with Hobbs attempts at showing his power undercut by Johnson leaping too early for everything. Shame Hobbs has ditched the Oklahoma Stampede for the much more bland World's Strongest Slam, and the switch to a singlet is the kind of move I'd expect decreed from Vince. I don't get the Hobbs turn motivation either. I swear I must've missed the big match that sold Hobbs as Cody's ally. Who got into the Nightmare Family instead of him? Darby? He doesn't count, surely? He's clearly his own thing.

Taz's stumbling start to the respect promo wasn't great either, but by the end I really wanted him to flatten Cody. What a condescending dick, especially of a boss. I've no problem at all with an ex-wrestler locking on his signature submission from the blind side, as much as I wanted him to Tazzplex Rhodes across the ring.

Darby's video was smart. The orange flames against the black and white was a very cool visual trick.

Jericho and Hager vs SCUncles was fine. I'm totally convinced this is Jericho's official face turn, standing up for his 'cheapshotted' young charge. I'd've liked more inter-Inner-Circle shenanigans at ringside, but with the number of dense angles elsewhere, that's just me being greedy. Kaz is one of my comfort food wrestlers, just a solid slightly flashy older statesman, so I'm pleased his getting a high profile match gets my vote. Absolutely loved the finish, seemless switching across the IC into the pin.

Miro just isn't hitting right. I assume this is his idea, but Angry Gamer Nerd isn't doing it for me. Maybe it's just because I'm not into that scene, but to me, his character is a mess, with little to no relation to any part of his partnership with Kip, and miscast based on what we've seen from him in the past. This angle with Best Friends is also basically a rehash of Trent's Mom's Minivan, except Kip and Miro aren't funny or dangerous.

"You know it wasn't me, man." More gold from Kingston. I can't imagine how I'll feel if/when Mox and the Mad King are fighting side by side. Him complaining to himself about trying to "be easy" as he walked off had me smiling. He just can't help chatting shit. Love him.

Nothing else to be said about the contract signing, except I liked the Bullet Club callback, and I can't believe it's been 3 days and I've still not seen anyone post Kenny's entrance with the Bottom end theme over the top.

I gave Jay vs Shida a couple of minutes but skipped. It was just too limp and Shida still tries to do moves she's clearly not strong enough to carry off safely, shown up especially after last week's stormer between Deeb and Thunder Rosa. I swear AEW are doing their thing of hotshotting a marquee match (in this case, AEW title vs NWA title), THEN deciding to build it properly. They did it with Kingston Mox, they did it (in my opinion) with Kenny Hangman, and they're doing it here. At the moment, Deeb or Rosa should absolutely batter Hikaru, because she's not in their league.

There was a Vicki promo. Skip.

There was a Ricky promo. Get in my veins. If Taz switches to full time commentary at any point, Team Absolute would be a winner. Raw intensity coming through the screen.

Butcher is probably objectively shit, but I love the big bastard. He probably botched a fair few times, but when Fenix goes for a springboard cutter and literally bounces off a static Butcher, who then bumps off a piddly kick, it does make me smile. Even somehow doing a crossbody and landing on his hands and feet cheered me up no end. Blade needs to do more to stand out, despite Kingston trying to big him up. Agreed that Kingston needs to work in Street clothes, provided he gets himself some Timbalands for the authentic 2000s Def Jam Fight For NY look.

PAC came off like a bit of a bystander, to be honest.

I'm sure we'll get some Archer explanation next week. I do think he should be a Sid style loose cannon, albeit smashing people in the face instead of fistbumping them. Is it an unnecessary wrinkle in the Family vs Death Triangle feud? Probably, and it does smack of them needing a big man to face Butcher in the upcoming matches. But if it means Archer sneering directly into every camera in between some big meat-slappin', then crack on, lads.

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Nothing else to be said about the contract signing, except I liked the Bullet Club callback, and I can't believe it's been 3 days and I've still not seen anyone post Kenny's entrance with the Bottom end theme over the top.

You should check the previous page of this thread!

Fine episode of Dynamite. Liked the Taz angle, liked Ricky Starks’ promo, not so keen on Hobbs this week. I think I’m the only one who’s not into John Silver, he just reminds me too much of a very annoying person I know for me to enjoy him. The Inner Circle tag match must have had something like 90 years collective wrestling experience in there, impressive. Really liked the Moxley/Kingston interaction backstage. Lost all interest in Miro. Next week should be good, are we expecting Kenny to win?

I feel like Kenny has to win. Mox doesn't have to be hurt by the loss but the ascension of Kenny back into the Omega of old needs him to win the belt. And then for Hangman to take it off him. It's Storytelling 101 and completely obvious and predictable but sometimes thats just what you need. Not everything has to be a shock or have a twist for the sake of it.

• Paid Members

Not only am I expecting Kenny to win, I think it’ll be a big mistake if he doesn’t. It’s the perfect time. Mox has had a hell of a run and beaten everyone. Kenny needs it to solidify this dickhead run where he’s the best and he knows it.  Kenny needs to win big, beat everyone, and then just when you think there’s no-one left a handsome bastard is gonna put the whiskey down and save the fucking day. I. Can’t. Wait.

I fully expect Kenny to win next week, the only doubt I have over it is would they end Moxley's run as champ on free telly? I know they're bigging it up as a slightly different Dynamite giving it a tag line of "Winter Is Coming" and all that but it's still just another Dynamite at the end of the day. I'm not sure if they'll hold Kenny off from being champ until Revolution in February of next year though.

• Paid Members

Their TV is the priority and number 1 money maker, putting a World title switch on Dynamite makes total sense. Especially as knowing that they will do a title change on TV makes every other World title match on Dynamite potentially more interesting. 

3 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Nothing would make me happier than Omega winning, having a huge heel run and then eventually losing to Hangman who kicks out of the One-Winged Angel.

Did Okada ever kick out of the One Winged Angel? Or has it never been kicked out of? 

• Paid Members

It hasn't been built up in AEW yet like that - it's one of those things that might be big, but needs pointing out. It's a bit like the Dudleyz and the 3-D. I believe, in TNA, the Motor City Machine Guns were the first people to ever kick out of it. Which should have meant more, but it never felt like it had been built up as a certain-win move.

During a long Omega title run, making note that no one has kicked out of the finisher (erasing the Ibushi one), shouldn't be difficult for them.

They've made the Judas Effect elbow an over finish, and that was just a spinning elbow by a 50 year old. No one has kicked out of that, if memory serves.