The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I like AEW but, right from the beginning, it feels like they've got different people booking different storylines with little communication or thought about the show as a whole. If the big angle to end the show is Will Hobbs storming to the ring with a chair, only to take out his supposed to allies, then why would you book Penta to do the exact same thing earlier in the night?

I also agree with LaGoosh about the timing of his turn. Why do it after the match is done, when there's absolutely no stakes? It was the same with Britt Baker interfering in the NWA Title match. Why wasn't that the finish? If you're going to do a turn or interference that then it should have the maximum impact possible or why bother? That's not just basic wrestling, it's basic storytelling. They are all talented enough that it won't hurt the feud but it really didn't help.

The Inner Circle stuff was all gold. MJF nicking Sammy's cards, "I really hate you", Wardlow and Hagar staring each other down, Ortiz looking pissed off at Santana being friendly with MJF. All of it was great.

I love Kenny Omega at the moment. A lot has been made about Hangman's insecurities but Kenny's desperate attempts to overcompensate for his own are also amazing. I don't think I've seen a character quite like this before. It's so subtle that it's genius.

I've watched the last 2 weeks and it's mainly been alright. Stupid shit that doesn't make sense:

1) The TV and tag titles look shit. They're oddly reminiscent of WWE's current titles and I don't understand why. The NWA women's title is great though.

2) JR sounds like he doesn't want to be there.

3) Hornswoggle in a nappy. Really? 

4) I realise there's probably a good reason why half the humanoids at the front are wearing masks and half aren't but the optics are very "redneck wrestling." 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Vamp said:

4) I realise there's probably a good reason why half the humanoids at the front are wearing masks and half aren't but the optics are very "redneck wrestling." 

The "humanoids" are pretty much all wrestlers (if you watch Dark episodes on YouTube you can see them all wrestle) and tested before the show starts. No idea why some of them wear masks and others don't but I'm not sure why Billy Gunn and co at ringside would give off redneck vibes. I think they're a really good touch and add a lot to the presentation of the show. Especially as they are often used for angles.

Because its the middle of a pandemic, there was nothing to suggest to me as an occasional viewer that they were wrestlers, they were all huddled together, they were all screaming and it was entirely random as to whether they wore masks or not. Its the poster child for "that stupid wrestling shit." 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Vamp said:

Because its the middle of a pandemic, there was nothing to suggest to me as an occasional viewer that they were wrestlers, they were all huddled together, they were all screaming and it was entirely random as to whether they wore masks or not. Its the poster child for "that stupid wrestling shit." 

Other than, they were clearly wrestlers. All who have been featured on the roster, but you can’t look at the ringside area and think they are hyped members of the public

It gets mentioned on and off on commentary that they are wrestlers as well as in some in ring promos. I personally thought it was quite clear and I think it's a great touch to keep the ringside area busy in a safer way while the few fans they let in can be spread out a bit further back just adding noise. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's a strange stick to beat AEW with. I would much rather have the wrestlers from Dark make up the crowd rather than actual members of the public. The only critisism from me about the wrestler crowd, is that some of them shouldn't be out there. Such as Jake Roberts, Shida, even Lance Archer unless it's for a spot. 

About 50 matches have been announced for Dark including a Britt Baker segment. There are a few that are intriguing matchups so I will probably check it out while working and skip through a lot of it. 

It's amazing how much Britt Baker has turned her character round from a year ago. From looking green as grass with no character, to being arguably the leader of the women's division. I say that as a fan of Shida, but her stock seems to have fallen loads since winning the title, which shows how much focus is put on their title, compared to how Thunder Rosa looks, being signed to a different company.

EDIT: Twitter is a bleak place at times. Imagine commenting this on a post about someone receiving a college degree, or ever for that matter. It's always the ones without a picture of themselves on their profile.

Screenshot_20201122-075144_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Vamp said:

Because its the middle of a pandemic, there was nothing to suggest to me as an occasional viewer that they were wrestlers

They all look like wrestlers, some of them are in full gimmick attire, if you've watched more than 1 episode you'll recognize wrestlers who have wrestled on Dynamite in the crowd, the commentators mention it and Billy Gunn is one of them. It's really quite obvious. 

And anyone who thinks "that stupid wrestling shit" is going to think that anyway, so who cares?

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Vamp said:

2) JR sounds like he doesn't want to be there.

Oh he doesn't.

I feel sorry for J.R. I used to listen to his podcast regularly but it was impossible to ignore his bitterness towards the wrestling business, and how he got treated in WWE. He's constantly on the defensive, sarcastically apologising to anyone who criticises him, or even people who might potentially criticise him. It's a really painful listen.

He's my favourite play by play guy of all time but wrestling has changed and now he's trying to put over a product that he doesn't care about. He's Bobby Heenan in WCW basically. He also seems to have fallen into the trap of thinking that most of the viewers share his opinions, and that it's not a big deal to mix up wrestlers names, etc, because nobody really cares about them. He was openly shitting on New Japan while doing New Japan's commentary, which is insane really.

He's said that wrestling is all he has now that his wife died, which is really really sad. They'll never fire him but they'd be best keeping him for pre-taped backstage interviews and hype packages.

1 hour ago, Vamp said:

My thing was simply that it doesn't look good that some are wearing masks and some aren't. It would have looked better if they were all wearing masks. There's not really much reason for them not to. 

You will likely have a few of them all hoping to get noticed and be the next pineapple Pete. As all are tested doesn’t bother me.