The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I don't have a problem with it, especially in this context where Taz wasn't so much taking digs at WWE as he was comparing the way he was treated in WWE to the way AEW treats him. The ultimate insult if you're AEW surely is "you're just like they are". 

Taz is playing a bitter ex-wrestler who doesn't feel like he's ever been respected, and I thought this worked really well. Even the fact his mic got shut off worked for me. It didn't feel like he was getting censored, it felt like an eye-roll from management who just wanted to get someone who was wasting time and spouting shit out of the ring. 

Which would work well, if AEW hadn't been taking digs at WWE / NXT since their inception. Taz has already done the bitter promo aiming digs at WWE about 6 months ago when he introduced Brian Cage, he's now done it again here. This is a perfect example of how well something could work if its not overdone. Its the exact same thing for 'pipe bomb' promos. 

The only dig that has been remotely funny that AEW have done is the Bucks watching TV by looking over their shoulder. Other than that, the digs just don't work for me, horses for courses i'm sure. 

Hobbs reminds me of Lashley. No, not in that way. Just in that they're both big, physical men but they don't feel intimidating. It's always been my problem with Bobby. He's always felt like he's playing angry rather than he's actually a threat. Hopefully Hobbs can sort that shit out because he's got potential.

What complaints do we have about the Women's Division this week, just to get that bit out the way. Felt his week they had a pretty good going of it, Shida continues to be ace, they're doing something with Brandi/Nyla and a few other folk that will get some more TV time and give Jade Cargill a soft launch for herself if they go with a multi-woman tag and Abadon was reintroduced as a title contender, the Conti/Anna Jay friends and influences angle is carrying on too. Thought that was all pretty good stuff, at least it has a purpose. 

Surely Sammy and MJF will be the final two in the battle royal next week with the IC trying to force Sammy into giving MJF the win. 

With how they are suddenly bringing up Shida's knee I'm thinking she's due to drop the belt or that's she's possibly been working hurt.

Women's title match wasn't top notch but Anna Jay put a good effort in and it was a fine TV level title match. 

Good to see Abadon back. Was it ever reported what actually happened to her? I know there was an injury but that's it.

Personally I hope Moxley goes over next week. Imo Omega needs some time as a full on heel before taking the belt.

Still don't give a toss about FTR.

Solid main event and really interested to see where this whole Pac/Kingston/Archer thing goes. 

By the end of the Taz/Cody segment I went from get that grumpy little shit out of there to choke that arrogant prick out. 

One thing that I'm souring on is Cody constantly being around the TNT champion. Darby is the new champion and should be on a solid singles run but he feels like an afterthought by being joined at Cody's hip.

Edit. 

Five stars for Tony's trousers last night.

Edited by The King Of Swing

2 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

One thing that I'm souring on is Cody constantly being around the TNT champion. Darby is the new champion and should be on a solid singles run but he feels like an afterthought by being joined at Cody's hip.

Got to do something with him after they booked that “can’t challenge for the World Title” stip. We know they’ll go back on that eventually, but for now this is as close to the top as they can book him.

The thing grates is that they haven’t made a big thing of Darby winning, the story is that Cody lost and how is he going to bounce back. The secondary champion is a total afterthought

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Which would work well, if AEW hadn't been taking digs at WWE / NXT since their inception. Taz has already done the bitter promo aiming digs at WWE about 6 months ago when he introduced Brian Cage, he's now done it again here. This is a perfect example of how well something could work if its not overdone. Its the exact same thing for 'pipe bomb' promos. 

The only dig that has been remotely funny that AEW have done is the Bucks watching TV by looking over their shoulder. Other than that, the digs just don't work for me, horses for courses i'm sure. 

Yeah, absolutely. It's never been something that bothers me. I don't think they do it all that much, and in this particular case if Taz is still feeling bitter I don't see from a character perspective why he'd change the record. We all know people like that, who just don't let things go. It strikes me as quite real and relatable and it works for me. But as with anything, like you say, it's totally subjective. I can't persuade you to like it, but I can tell you why I did. 

Loved the Omega/Moxley stuff from Omega doing the "my dad can beat your dad up" stuff to Kingston putting it in Mox's head that it might be Omega that organised the beat down last week and Mox listening to his former friend who he still wants to be friends with, to the stuff with the silhouette to the moment when Mox put the belt on the floor and Omega put his hand on it. 

I didn't mind the Cody/Taz stuff. Felt like Taz was using the WWE troupes to say to Cody "you're more like them lot in New York than you want to be" trying to get under his skin which worked with Cody mentioning his son. 

Of course Taz named his son Hook

Abadon being back makes me so happy. Not sure licking the title belt is the smartest idea in 2020 though

Miro is the dictionary definition of the word "meh" 

Edited by Tsurutagun

• Paid Members

This Miro stuff is terrible. As is this weird Cody angle. 

Everything else was either pretty good or great though. I'm all in on a Lance Archer babyface run. They should give him a Sid in ECW type go. Also the midcard was looking a bit light on babyfaces recently, I'm glad they've addressed that the past few weeks. 

Excalibur: You are the cause of the acrimony between these teams.

Kingston: Acrimony?! That's a big word, I don't know what it means so I'll take it as disrespect. Watch your mouth, Excalibur!

Kingston is gold on commentary. 

Hobbs looked nervous as fuck out there. They definitely need to keep him as more of a background act to Starks for the short term til he's more confident. Also, how fucking good is Ricky Starks! 

Whoever came up with the silhouette attack during Kenny's entrance should get a bonus. Glorious. I'm liking Kenny's new persona, he's a right prick. And it's different from your typical heel headliner. He looks the business in a suit and shades too. I'm predicting a title change next week.

• Paid Members

It's such a small thing but I absolutely loved that Omega instinctively went for the belt rather than trying to attack Moxley or even protect himself. It just shows how obsessed he is with it. For a guy who was hyped for his in-ring work and long, epic matches, his ability to tell a story and make even the most minor details mean something is genuinely incredible.

I agree that Hobbs arrogant sneer was a bit silly and I was a bit disappointed that their follow up of him turning was.....nothing. They couldn't have him explain WHY he turned? Even if it was as simple as him being offended that Cody didn't include him in his expansion of the Nightmare Family? Instead Cody wasn't even bothered about it and they've made the feud about him, Taz and the FTW Title belt, instead of Hobbs.

Not sure Cody should be getting choked out by a guy who hasn't wrestled for 18 years either!

As great as John Silver has been recently, it does make me wonder what they are going to do when Brodie comes back. The Dark Order has basically become all about Silver since Brodie's been out and it's working really really well. It'll be a massive step back if they go back to just being Brodie's lackies BUT the alternative is splitting them up and/or turning them babyface. Hangman potentially joining complicates it even further. Nice problem to have though. I really didn't expect to ever be this invested in the Dark Order.

A nice wee touch was that Hagar and Wardlow were staring each other out in the background, even though you could barely see them. I really want to see them as a tag team who hate each other.

Like Hobbs turn last week, I don't know how to feel about Lance Archer at the end. I get that it was a receipt for Kingston and crew saving Moxley from Archer a few weeks ago but it felt like a babyface move, and that could've done with a bit more build up than that. Especially since two of the guys he saved were Kingston's mates when they attacked him!

• Paid Members

Archer should be a babyface in the sense that his character is exactly the same, the only difference is he's beating up heels instead of babyfaces. They don't need to change anything. Big mental bloke who kills everyone works perfectly either good guy or bad guy.