The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Pac Vs. Blade was too competitive for my tastes but enjoyable. 

I didn't mind it, commentary put over the fact that Pac hasn't wrestled in 7 months and the story for me was that even with the ring rust, even with him looking battered by the end that Pac is a dangerous motherfucker when it counts and will make folk tap out. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mikeymike83 said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment that they've never really worked. That being said, when you have the mad scientist at the top who just constantly disregards stuff, more often than not for no other reason than he feels like it. It's hard to tell whether a true brand split would work or not. The few times they seemed to follow through with them (very first time in '02, again at the restart in '16), they did help more talent get exposure. Some failed, but others did flourish where they wouldn't have gotten a chance to otherwise.

My fear with AEW heading down that route is they are a young company. Other than the die hards that probably tune in every week, a new audience wouldn't be bothered with few recognisable faces. To a wider, casual audience you probably have Jericho, Moxley, Cody, Hardy who are faces you might know of. To then have to split that small percentage in two and thin out what star power (to a casual audience again mind, to those who have watched they have done a good job of establishing new names etc) they actually have. It's counter productive. For the record, I am not in favour of a brand split for this company.

Maybe there's a show that I'm not aware of, but they could really do with a recap type show (in the vain of your Saturday morning/afternoon WWE shows) to help bring that brand to more faces. Not just talking about kids either, talking about the dads who might have switched off years ago to never go back and watch along with their children. However, I would assume it's going to be given a prime time slot. And that, unfortunately, does not lend itself to a recap show.

I hope, I really do, that they don't run before they can walk. A few minor missteps along the way these last 18 months (which for the most part have been rectified) have been understandable given how new they are. But adding another prime time show which will over saturate their product ridiculous levels, could be a costly mistake that they may not be able to reverse.

One thing they could use Eric Bischoff for is to ask him not what to do, but what he wishes he didn't do or be forced to do 20 years ago. He's very vocal about the wrong decisions being made/dictated to him, so he should be able to identify those areas whereby history could be repeating itself.

I definitely see your point, and I agree that, in theory, a brand split should be possible with creative-enough thinking behind it. After all, it's simply another dimension via which to tell a wrestling story. But it's not just that WWE were shit at it because of Vince, but also because, any time any other companies with a budget and a profile have shown up and copied anything that WWE did, they tend to copy the same shit tendencies that made those concepts shit. The heel GM is a case in point.

Whilst AEW have demonstrated that they're both creative and adaptable, I don't imagine they'd execute a brand split any better than WWE did, partly down to trying to emulate them, and partly because I don't think even WWE really understood why they had the brand split in the first place.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, poetofthedeed said:

Was their any payoff to the brandi/allie thing? A blow off match on dark, A promo, a tweet? 

Was there any payoff to brandi/Anna Jay, they were out for the same match last week 

The biggest problem with Brandi is Brandi, she gets bored halfway through a story and just moves on. And Cody's too doe eyed to tell her no. 

Brandi and Anna Jay had a match, it was surprisingly ok.

Just now, LaGoosh said:

Brandi and Anna Jay had a match, it was surprisingly ok.

On dark? Then Anna Jay attacked her on her cooking show? Then they had the dog collar match where they got involved......... Then nothing. 

Why didn't brandi jump anna Jay when she slid the chair in? 

Why wasn't she out there with the nightmares when the butcher and blade had allie? 

I'll give aew credit, they've done a good job, intentionally or not, of retconning mistakes. But I honestly think the run sheet says "Brandi, 5 minutes, whatever....." 

1 hour ago, poetofthedeed said:

The biggest problem with Brandi is Brandi, she gets bored halfway through a story and just moves on. And Cody's too doe eyed to tell her no. 

Also, her obsession with being a heel. Just because you want to be a heel doesn't mean you should be ome

Messy show this week. I can dig that AEW want to avoid some of WWE's worse tendencies but so often they go straight to the opposite extreme instead of the massive gulfing middle ground. The contract signing was cool but for the biggest match in Dynamite history the angle had almost no gravity to it whatsoever. I get not wanting run back replays every fifteen minutes and have the announcers run it into the ground but come on. Shave off a couple of minutes from that Pac/Blade match and give us a recap or an update on Moxley. Highlight it, build anticipation, make it feel important. Instead it felt like any other segment as they rushed 100 miles per hour into the next. 

So Vicki is back with Nyla Rose again? Why? I still don't get why they took the belt off Nyla so soon. She should have been out there squashing girls and cutting promos every other week.

The Las Vegas trip didn't reinvent the wheel and was a minor disappointment but I laughed plenty of times. I don't think you can fail with this bunch of characters. There's been way too much comedy with the Inner Circle this year but can you blame them? They're so good at it. Both tag matches were fun, bit gutted Hobbs turned bad as I enjoyed him as a fired up babyface. Didn't get the finish to the women's match, they had Britt interfere as a possible out to protect Thunder Rosa but it didn't play into the finish and Deeb beat her clean. Hopefully they give Rosa and Baker some promo time and we get our first worthwhile AEW women's feud.

That’s two weeks in a row that Jerry Lynn has been on TV. I know he hasn’t wrestled for nearly 8 years, but I bet he’s still got a good match in him.

oh, a Hangover pastiche, nothing quite like hitting these things at the height of their popularity. Vince would’ve been battered with the “out of touch old man” stick if a single second of that had been shown on WWE TV.

15 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Speaking of referencing things at the height of their popularity, why are they calling the episode with the Mox/ Omega match Winter Is Coming? 

Was confused by that as well but I think caught the commentators mentioning other shows so maybe a network thing or something. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

oh, a Hangover pastiche, nothing quite like hitting these things at the height of their popularity. Vince would’ve been battered with the “out of touch old man” stick if a single second of that had been shown on WWE TV.

I don't feel like there's a time limit on parodying anything as long as it's funny. This was pretty funny. Vince would have been absolutely battered because if he had done this it would have been absolutely shite and unfunny in every possible way imaginable.

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I definitely see your point, and I agree that, in theory, a brand split should be possible with creative-enough thinking behind it. After all, it's simply another dimension via which to tell a wrestling story. But it's not just that WWE were shit at it because of Vince, but also because, any time any other companies with a budget and a profile have shown up and copied anything that WWE did, they tend to copy the same shit tendencies that made those concepts shit. The heel GM is a case in point.

Whilst AEW have demonstrated that they're both creative and adaptable, I don't imagine they'd execute a brand split any better than WWE did, partly down to trying to emulate them, and partly because I don't think even WWE really understood why they had the brand split in the first place.

Exactly that point too. I had it mind at the time I wrote my post out but obviously never got round to writing it down. And again, as I said I do not believe it's the correct avenue to go down anyway. But, yes, should they go down that route, to all and sundry it's another WWE rehash.

To slightly disagree again. Both occasions I listed had a reason, ones which I feel they genuinely recognised . 2002 version had the most bloated, top heavy, roster ever assembled. Everyone of name value was there (or came in not too long thereafter). And I forget the for instances but wasn't the 2016 one as some reason to establish original content for the network? I seem to recall something on those lines. I may have remembered incorrectly though. Albeit the shows being on that 4 week delay.