The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I still want a Saturday morning kids wrestling show. With Luchasaurus, Jungle Boy, Darby and all the other most kid friendly acts doing a bunch of mad, wacky shit.

Of all the ways to describe Darby Allin, I'm not sure "kid-friendly" is one of them!

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I still want a Saturday morning kids wrestling show. With Luchasaurus, Jungle Boy, Darby and all the other most kid friendly acts doing a bunch of mad, wacky shit.

Saturday Morning Slam and NXT Kids were both great. I'd be more interested watching something like that than their product now which has never really overly interested me. 

• Paid Members

I'd like to see a second show be an NWA/old school Memphis style studio format. Would be aesthetically different from the main show (especially once they start touring again), the familiarity of a fixed location for one show standing in contrast with a range of locations for the other, and could be a good use of the working relationship they have with the NWA, and an excuse to trot out old-timers and indulge the more nostalgia-heavy aspects of the company.

• Paid Members

I've always wondered if a big wrestling promotion could get away with having 2 shows aimed at two different demographics? I'm thinking of Dynamite being the main show aimed at the normal audience that it always has been, and maybe make the second show either a full on post watershed, adults only type of show filled with more violent matches, and more adult orientated story lines, or even go the full on opposite and fill it with kid friendly content like @LaGooshmentioned. 

On paper, it would work, but in reality would it cause more problems than it would be worth? 

28 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Of all the ways to describe Darby Allin, I'm not sure "kid-friendly" is one of them!

Kids will live him tho. Very easy to dress as and some of his stuff re the skating and not falling off stuff could be made more kid friendly. He’s the small kid against the bullies

• Paid Members

I'd love a second show to be a mix of Dark and Being The Elite, but I can entirely acknowledge that most of BTE isn't fit for television. If they could figure it out, it could really be something - part reality show, part sketches, part wrestling matches. But BTE is wildly inconsistent and really isn't made with the professional level it would need.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Dark, moody face painted high flying skateboarding underdog is pure kid fan favourite material. Just take out the thumbtacks and weird videos and he's a licence to print money. He'll be the first toy the kids will take off the shelf for sure.

• Paid Members

There were plenty of kids on social media being retweeted dressing up as either Darby Allin or Orange Cassidy. They're definitely popular with kids. Add in Jurassic Express, and you've definitely got potential for a kids' show.

• Paid Members

Brand splits are shit. WWE are the only promotion to have done them, and they've never really worked. 

Other programmes would be a good move, though. I didn't get to see loads of those Facebook Mixed Match Challenges, but I really enjoyed the few I did see - loved the concept, and the no-pressure fun element to it. Would certainly help give the women's roster a bit of a jolt.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

the more I think about it, the more the studio/fixed location idea makes sense. Not having a traditional live crowd would give them the scope to continue down the path of cinematic matches and weirdness without risking losing a live crowd's attention by putting it on a regular show. 

Copying the highly complex TV business model of "different coloured ring ropes and ring skirts" is the wrong way to go. It's bad enough they do nothing to make Dark look any different ot Dynamite.

A smaller studio setup would a good idea both budget-wise and presentation-wise, but they really do need to work out what alternative product they would be putting out as a second show instead of one-two-three hours of the same old shit. It's all well and good turning Marshall's work space into a mini arena, but if all they're putting on is even more of the same matches with the same lower-tier workers, it's pointless, and actually shoots them in the foot for future feuds.

I've said before that I think they REALLY need to lean more into pretapes for the main broadcast shows. There's so much gold they put on their Insta and Youtube accounts - after-match interviews, vignettes, hell even Eddie Kingston's promo on his phone - that absolutely should be being put on the main show. And that's not just for variety - it's genuinely better than a lot of what they do broadcast. If you get 10-15% of your airtime on pretapes, it's easier to produce, safer for talent during Covid, and a different creative outlet for those involved.

If they must just rebrand a bunch of matches, they could do with separating out their roster more into set styles, with Dynamite being the full three-ring circus. Before Covid, I'd've suggested a show based entirely on their international (non-North American) talent, focussing on Europeans, joshi, puro and lucha. I can imagine Kenny beaming at the idea of AEW 2: World Warriors. But with international travel being a no-no right now, maybe hourly shows spotlighting individual divisions or styles would be good. A week focussing on the superheavyweights main evented by a hoss meat-slapper one week, lucha and Mexico-influenced grappling the next, womens', under-30s, street fighters, tag teams, trios, etc. As long as they do something to dress the mini arena in something distinctive for that show's theme.

They could be a lot more creative than flat-out copying the opposition and funting piles of EVEN MORE wrestling into the ether. Dynamite is my one must-watch a week, and as good as that is a lot of the time, I'm not going to watch even more AEW just for the sake of it. I don't know if they realise it, but their strongest hooks are their character-building, so any new shows would be better working on that for the wider roster until there's a spot for them on the main shows.

Edited by CavemanLynn