The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Funny that only a few days ago we were discussing how a babyface could lose an I Quit match clean and still stay strong, and then Eddie Kingston goes and turns babyface during the very act of saying, “I Quit,” coming out stronger than ever.

That promo on BTE is, once again, amazing. The bit where he explains he had no choice and that his arm was going numb? Perfect. What a talent. Whether he’s screaming in someone’s face or getting choked up quietly. Home run every time. I got serious Mick Foley vibes watching that, desperate to see him eventually succeed. He’s honestly done more in seven days to get over the importance of that AEW World Title than the whole previous year combined. If there’s any justice in the world I hope his bank balance has sky rocketed.

I like the parallels between Kingston and Page and how they deal with their mental states and dire situations differently, Adam leaves his soul at the bottom of a bourbon bottle while Eddie decides to sells his to the devil. It's easy to have major sympathy for them both and there's no real clear answer to how either will come out at the other end.

Edited by Merzbow

9 minutes ago, Sonny Mustang said:

Eddie Kingston is working a show Saturday night (grind house, part of WWN) in a tiny venue about 40 minutes from me. 
Doesn’t look like he’ll be wrestling so maybe just an MC- wish I could make it! 
Has he signed long term for AEW?

I think the Grindhouse shows are his own? Maybe he's booking them.

• Paid Members

That Cody Rhodes segment was god awful and awkward as hell. The reveal as the giants name being Shaq was just as bad. Brandi was the best part of the segment and you don't often hear that. 

For once i agreed with JR, I've seen enough thumbtacks for a season.

The amount of blood in the bunkhouse match made me very uncomfortable. Was there really any need for QT and Blade to bleed so much? The match just felt like one of those random 'insert theme' street fights that WWE usually do on Raw. 

Will Hobbs is nailed on to turn on Cody 'gullible' Rhodes to join Team Taz. For weeks Hobbs has been chasing them away, but has never actually struck them as far as I recall. 

The MJF induction was brilliant. I've never really 'gotten' MJF but he is so annoying and punchable, it's brilliant. The balloons blowing away before ever really being seen and JR chuckling at it was great. Sammy not being out with the Inner Circle was a nice touch as well. Wardlow is money, he has such a good look and aura about him.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

When Brandi is the best thing about a segment, something is wrong. I agree Nick, just awful. 

Very much a show of 2 halves. The first hour was pretty crap. Opener was quite good, but Cody’s Promo and the Bunkhouse Brawl were awful and that was the worst Dustin has been in AEW. Lazy, slow, couldn’t be bothered. Like with the above, when QT Marshall is one of the best things in a match, you know you’ve got problems.

The Inner Circle / MJF segment was fine, not great but fine. Sky vs Spears was pretty good, and the woman’s match was fine. But the main event and reveal at the end dragged the whole episode up. 

After an amazing PPV, this was a bit of letdown. Roll on 2nd December though.

• Paid Members

I think it speaks volumes for how well they’ve built their World Title up that it seems crazy they’re doing Omega vs. Mox on free TV, never mind the very likely scenario of Omega winning the belt. Compare it to NXT, where we’ve seen tonnes of World Title changes on free TV.

I’m expecting Moxley loses the belt and flies to Japan for the Tokyo Dome, giving him the time to quarantine for two weeks prior.

And then we’re on our way to my man Hangman Page taking that belt from Kenny in the greatest moment in the history of pro-wrestling. Fuck yes.

8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I think it speaks volumes for how well they’ve built their World Title up that it seems crazy they’re doing Omega vs. Mox on free TV, never mind the very likely scenario of Omega winning the belt. Compare it to NXT, where we’ve seen tonnes of World Title changes on free TV.

I’m expecting Moxley loses the belt and flies to Japan for the Tokyo Dome, giving him the time to quarantine for two weeks prior.

And then we’re on our way to my man Hangman Page taking that belt from Kenny in the greatest moment in the history of pro-wrestling. Fuck yes.

Excluding Baylor winning it recently, as that was for the vacant title, they’ve had 3 world title changes in the Network era- Keith Lee in 2020, Ciampa in 2018 and Nakamura in 2016. You have to go all the way back to May 2013 (pre-Network) when Bo Dallas won it and it was on syndicated TV before those. 3 changes in 6 & a half years of WWE Network is hardly tonnes now is it

• Paid Members

So is the "giant" actually Shaquille O'Neill? Or is this supposed to be some sort of swerve? I couldn't tell (when admittedly bleary-eyed and feeding a baby at silly o clock this morning, so may have missed a crucial detail) whether they were alluding to it being the real Shaq but not confirming or it's a misdirect. Not a great segment. 

Fantastic main event, and PAC vs Eddie Kingston sounds superb as a big match I'd never really considered, but now desperately want to see.   

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Excluding Baylor winning it recently, as that was for the vacant title, they’ve had 3 world title changes in the Network era- Keith Lee in 2020, Ciampa in 2018 and Nakamura in 2016. You have to go all the way back to May 2013 (pre-Network) when Bo Dallas won it and it was on syndicated TV before those. 3 changes in 6 & a half years of WWE Network is hardly tonnes now is it

Oh wow, I guess it just feels like loads then. Maybe it’s more how many World Title matches they’ve had, or how many changes of the North American Title. I dunno, Either way though when I read Moxley vs. Omega was gonna be on Dynamite I was shocked and excited, which would never be the case whatever World Title match they announced for NXT on free TV. It feels like all they ever do is spunk their best stuff on free TV.

Are there any old PPVs left for NXT to resurrect to no doubt counter Mox vs. Omega? Starrcade?

Edited by Supremo

One of the weakest Dynamites in some time for me. I've no idea who Jade Cargill is, but her mic work was rough. That whole segment felt like it was plugged out of Attitude Era WWE, and I don't mean that in a good way. 

Starting the show with Brian Cage set the tone for the whole show for me. I find him unbelievably dull. Starks is brilliant, Tazz is brilliant but Cage doesn't click for me. 

And talking of not clicking, the bunkhouse match was brutal but boring, mainly because I had no interest in the storyline that led to it happening in the first place. Dustin is still brilliant and performing at the highest level, and I really wish AEW would do something else with him. 

The sound issues during the Moxley promo, for me at least, were so bad that I had no idea what he actually said. Is anyone else getting this recurring problem with backstage segements, or is it just a weird quirk of my TV sound set-up? 

It's great to see Pac back, he was an absolute highlight of AEW before the pandemic and it feels like there's so much for him to do. Pac/Moxley, Pac/Cody, Pac/Darby and Pac/Hangman are all matches/feuds I'm desperate to see.

The MJF stuff was great and I can't wait to see what the Inner Circle get up to in Vegas. 

Edited by RedRooster