The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

If the hype gets you tuning in or buying the PPV then it's exactly the right amount, surely? Hype is how wrestling companies make money.

True, but I said going into Kingston vs Moxley that it felt like how Mick Foley talked about his first match with Sabu; they'd have to practically kill each other to match up to what people had built up in their imagination. 

It's the right kind of problem to have, and so long as you put together a match where it feels that both men were trying for something special, it's usually all good.

Kingston cuts a really good promo, but at no point did I feel he was going to win in all the build Up. If a heel Says they are going to kill themselves, it’s as sure as day they won’t. Believed even less with that shocking gear he turned up to a title match in. He’s a tv main Eventer at most to me, doubt he will see another Ppv high card match again in aew. 

The Bucks/FTR match was great, don’t get me wrong but I felt they were pushing it a bit using the Hardyz, Dudleyz, Hart Foundation, Steiners and DIY finishers as mid match moves. Takes away from the impact of them

Rhodes/Allin and Page/Omega were great matches, OC/Silver and Jericho/MJF were fun and Hardy/Guevara was ok. Shida/Rose was pointless and Mox/Kingston was a bit overkill with some of the spots but loved the finish

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Jackpot said:

Omega v Page was every bit as good as you'd expect it to be as a one-off match. Their actual "feud" though hasn't had any sort of meat behind it in my opinion. They were tag champs, then they weren't, Omega wanted to be a singles wrestler, Hangman thought they were still a team, and that was that. Other than a few snide remarks on commentary from Omega during Page's matches weeks ago, the interactions have been minimal. What happens now with Page will be interesting, while Kenny has a clear path to what he's doing next.

I stopped reading your review of the show after this. Have you not been watching AEW all year or at all during their title run? There’s loads of story behind it. 

1 hour ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Yeah of course but at times it doesn't live up to the hype, also if everything is super hyped and special then nothing stands out.

WWE normally kick it up a notch in Mania season but it wouldn't have the same impact if every event is that way.

And that why WWE ratings are at a all time low and wrestling mainstream relevance wise is currently the coldest its ever beem

25 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I stopped reading your review of the show after this. Have you not been watching AEW all year or at all during their title run? There’s loads of story behind it. 

Agreed. It's basically the longest running story they've got..

• Paid Members

I pretty much enjoyed every match with the exception of Hardy/Sammy. I liked seeing Gangrel and Hurricane show up but the vast majority of this cinematic/Broken stuff bores me stiff (Stadium Stampede aside). 

Hangman/Omega, FTR/Bucks and Cody/Darby were all crackers. 3 top matches there.

The main event DID live up to my expectations but thats because I didn't expect it to be anything more than a standard deathmatch. They were never going to match the intensity of the build-up. 

AEW need to pull the trigger on some of these slow-burn angles though. Omega and the Bucks have been flirting with heel turns for around a year now, either commit and go though with it or drop it completely. I really can't be arsed with another 6 months of Omega and Bucks acting smug while Hangman makes sad eyes. Its pro wrestling, not Mad Men, get a move on.

• Paid Members

I thought whoever the agents were for the matches did a cracking job. I loved how Page was trying to move his head so Omega couldn’t pull off the one winged Angel. I loved the finish to Cody/Allin, took me by surprise. Also, while we’ve seen the fake weapon attack spot, I thought the way it led to the finish in Jericho/MJF was clever. And the way Bucks/FTR ended I thought was inspired when FTR swapped fists for flips. Great booking.

Overall I think it was my favourite AEW PPV of the year. Worth the £15, even if I didn’t love the main event. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I think in terms of order of matches it was probably the best big show AEW have ever done. It flowed very well, each match felt different and in the right place to keep a steady momentum. AEW aren't always very good at that.

Edited by LaGoosh