The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

25 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I mean, WWE can be blamed for a lot of things, but to blame them for people being underwhelmed by Miro and Brodie Lee is laughable. Miro is underwhelming at the minute, because he is mixing it up with scrubs and also that his in ring work hasn't been too great.

Brodie Lee was underwhelming because he was shoved into the Exalted One position when they bailed on it being Matt Hardy, then he was doing the shitty Vince McMahon schtick. Once he dropped that, he has because a good asset. 

Not everything is WWE's fault. 

That's not blaming WWE, its a reality, neither had any momentum coming in, its not about blame, its stating where they were. We're essentially saying the same thing - neither impressed early while the guys find themselves, and its not like they came in with a massive wave that helps them through the necessary transition. And in Miro's case, he isn't bringing enough new to the dance to make a massive first impression.

If anything AEWs positioning of Miro has been as bad if not worse than WWEs so far, if they had nothing better for him they shouldn't be using him right now.

But yeah as others have said, it seems to actually be his own idea which is maddening.

I didn't think would happen but AEW have plenty of big/power guys and I'd maybe rather see Will Hobbs getting that TV time right now.

Edited by Merzbow

1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

That's not blaming WWE, its a reality, neither had any momentum coming in, its not about blame, its stating where they were. We're essentially saying the same thing - neither impressed early while the guys find themselves, and its not like they came in with a massive wave that helps them through the necessary transition. And in Miro's case, he isn't bringing enough new to the dance to make a massive first impression.

Sorry but what does momentum have to do with the way he’s been presented? There are no fans. So everything that’s happened has been a decision he and the management team have decided on. If he had been wwe champion and then turned up on dynamite and did the exact same thing it would be exactly as shit as it is now.

If he was dead as a doornail and came in and smashed through half the roster in 30 seconds and laid out Mox over and over going into a title match at full gear he would be exactly where everyone thought he would be and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Where he is now is 100% on him and the management and absolutely nothing to do with what happened on a different tv show.

1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

What about Moxley then? If we're talking about WWE killing everyone's momentum and blaming them for that then how did AEW manage to make Moxley look like a fucking megastar in one night with his debut?

Joining another company should be a fresh start. Momentum isn't just about how they were booked beforehand anyway. These are guys that have had solid fanbases yearning for them to go elsewhere and be "used right".

AEW haven't always capitalised on someone's popularity or booked them correctly from the get-go. As others have said, Brodie took a while for them to really get right. Miro looks like another to me, although I'd argue he was actually more important to get right from the debut as he's got more potential to succeed than Brodie.

• Awards Moderator

It’s been said already but that Kingston-Moxley segment was phenomenal. Gave me chills. Best promo segment there’s been in any promotion for years, probably since Goldberg in 2016. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s ideas of how the I Quit match will go, and I just hope they find a way out of it that keeps both guys’ momentum. I’m not sure where Moxley goes once he loses the title, but I’d happily see Kingston win it only for Omega to dick him out of it. Achieving his life’s goal only for it to be absolutely fleeting when Kenny takes him out three days later. You can still get to Omega-Moxley II and Kingston has even more fuel to his fire.

Very happy to see PAC back this week too. I always enjoy spotting North East landmarks in his videos, nice to see he’s got out into the countryside and popped along to Sycamore Gap while he’s been isolating. Did I hear them call him a “Stroppy Bastard”?

Moxley and Ambrose are like 2 different people, I know wwe didn't book him great his whole run but look at him as wwe champion with his skinny body, floppy thinning hair and lack of intensity, he didn't look or act like a main eventer.

Fast forward to mid 2018 when he returns from injury, better and bigger built, short hair, bearded and intense, wwe couldve done something with that guy but was too little too late on both sides.

Not saying AEW had it easy but they got a much better version of him, Ambrose vs Kingston wouldn't have been the same for example.

All of ways like Stunning Steve to Stone Cold.

17 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Moxley and Ambrose are like 2 different people, I know wwe didn't book him great his whole run but look at him as wwe champion with his skinny body, floppy thinning hair and lack of intensity, he didn't look or act like a main eventer.

Fast forward to mid 2018 when he returns from injury, better and bigger built, short hair, bearded and intense, wwe couldve done something with that guy but was too little too late on both sides.

Not saying AEW had it easy but they got a much better version of him, Ambrose vs Kingston wouldn't have been the same for example.

All of ways like Stunning Steve to Stone Cold.

Yeah I think the main thing about Ambrose was that he never changed after The Shield split. Same with Roman really. I know they were both successful to a degree but it did hold them back somewhat too. Leaving WWE was the perfect opportunity for that fresh start. Thankfully circumstances this year has allowed Roman that opportunity too.

Another great Countdown. They even made Shida look like a big deal. I know they're probably short on staff, but they really need to get pretapes like this on the main shows.

Fuck me, I want Kingston to win so bad, partly because I don't know what he'll do to himself if he doesn't. Just utterly terrifying, compelling and sad.

I know the rails are on for Omega Mox, but Kingston is the main show angle right now. I genuinely don't know which way Full Gear will go - a Mox win seems nailed on, but then again a Kingston loss seems like a senseless waste. Not only does the Family need a winner, else they end up a bunch of cool looking losers, but the storyline options for Kingston are much more interesting to me right now. I've already posted my bullshit fanbooking angle, but imagine Kingston winning then realising as the weeks go on, and he faces monster after monster, mirroring Mox's run, that his beloved championship is a poisoned chalice that's going to get him destroyed, but he just can't bring himself to quit. He alienates himself from the Family, feuding with both the Lucha Bros, ends up alone beaten and broken, and then faces Mox in a reversal of Full Gear, to put Mox back on track for Omega. 

Edited by CavemanLynn

A fantastic show on the whole, with three killer matches in Omega/Page, Bucks/FTR and Cody/Darby. Out of the three of them the TNT title match was my favourite, but they were all great in their own way.

I will say I found the commentary in the Omega/Page match very distracting. The four men on the booth didn’t work well together and I didn’t think Callis was either good or served a purpose. 

I’m desperate to see Cody turn heel sooner rather than later. He’s shown signs of how incredible he can be and Moxley vs a heel Cody, whether it’s for the title or not, could be one hell of a feud. I really, really want to see that soon. 

I was surprised at The Bucks winning the titles and it makes the last minute stop they imposed on themselves all the more bizarre. The match was phenomenal though.

I didn’t enjoy the Hardy/Sammy match at all. Matt Hardy is right up there challenging QT Marshall and Brandi Rhodes to be the AEW wrestler I least want to watch. The Broken Universe isn’t much fun, Broken Matt is a crappy character and when you strip the gimmicks away regular Matt Hardy doesn’t really offer much on screen either. I was hoping for a Hardys run in AEW but obviously that can’t happen now with Jeff choosing to stay in WWE.

I don’t know how you solve a problem like Matt Hardy, but it’s not through anything he’d doing on screen right now.

Jericho/MJF was fine for what it was, but it didn’t have to be anything more than that at this stage. This storyline is at the early stages and it seemed likely that they were capable of a stronger match down the road.

I fast forwarded through Shida/Nyla, but Nyla’s partnership with Vickie just needs to end already. It did seem like they are heading in that direction, perhaps to line her up as a challenger for future champ Britt Baker?

Mox/Kingston wasn’t for me. I don’t particularly enjoy gruesome garbage matches and that’s what this was. As soon as they pulled the thumbtacks out, a spot I’ve always been squeamish about, I was out. Even before that I was feeling uncomfortable. I know not everyone agrees with me on this, but Eddie’s ring gear tonight was particularly bad. I find it far harder to take him seriously when he’s dressed like that. Still, he’s proved himself to be a massive asset and I hope he continues on as a featured act on Dynamite. He could be a phenomenal opponent for Darby.