The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

30 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m gutted that Kingston vs. Moxley is an I Quit match because it makes it a million times harder to fantasy book a Kingston Title win.

I know, and the more you fantasy-book, the harder it is for the match to meet its expectations, so good have those two been in the build. The idea popped into my head of it ending in an extended mauling by Mox of Kingston, trying to torture his friend back, but Kingston being so broken but refusing to say it, that Mox says "You know what, bro, I quit" without realising what he's just said. At once I thought that would be a killer unexpected ending, but there's a difference between unexpected and plain downer, right, Russo?

Edited by CavemanLynn

It's hard to see Kingston quitting either so the conclusion to this one is going to be interesting. The only way I could see Moxley losing (and I don't think he will) would be if Eddie threatens to do something to someone he cares about or someone weak during the match. Maybe he marches up to the announce desk and puts JR or Schiavone in a precarious position forcing Moxley to do the right thing. He's already made it clear he'll do anything, so threatening to do something truly awful like that would make absolute sense. 

I suppose you could, on the flipside, have PAC threaten to do something to the injured Fenix prompting Kingston to quit while giving him good reason to be angry about the outcome. 

Most likely though I expect Kingston to end up passed out again forcing the referee to intervene and call the match. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It's hard to see Kingston quitting either so the conclusion to this one is going to be interesting. The only way I could see Moxley losing (and I don't think he will) would be if Eddie threatens to do something to someone he cares about or someone weak during the match. Maybe he marches up to the announce desk and puts JR or Schiavone in a precarious position forcing Moxley to do the right thing.

That's a decent time for Renee to no longer be a WWE employee.

21 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It's hard to see Kingston quitting either so the conclusion to this one is going to be interesting. The only way I could see Moxley losing (and I don't think he will) would be if Eddie threatens to do something to someone he cares about or someone weak during the match. Maybe he marches up to the announce desk and puts JR or Schiavone in a precarious position forcing Moxley to do the right thing. He's already made it clear he'll do anything, so threatening to do something truly awful like that would make absolute sense.

So you’d have them do the exact same finish that WWE did at HIAC a couple of weeks ago?

48 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So you’d have them do the exact same finish that WWE did at HIAC a couple of weeks ago?

Ah yeah, that did happen, didn't it. 

I'm not saying I'd do that finish (and to be honest I'd forgotten about it) but that's the only way I could see Moxley quitting, it wouldn't fit his character to throw in the towel because he's hurting too much. 

I don't actually want Moxley to drop the belt any time soon, even to the winner of Omega/Page. He's having a phenomenal run as champ. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I know we’re all wasting time fantasy booking this when it’s an absolute certainty that Moxley is winning, but is a babyface saying, “I Quit,” really the end of the world?

Not even in the protect-a-loved-one way, either. An actual caught-in-a-submission way. Has that ever happened in an I Quit match, where the babyface loses clean? Would it really be that damaging?

Played correctly, I don’t see it any different than in MMA. Top babyfaces tap out. There’s no shame in realising you’re fucked and it’s better to submit than risk permanent or career-ending injury. 

When I play it out in my head it just puts Kingston over massively, positioning him as the star his talent deserves.

If there’s ever a scenario where you cut your losses and put a heel over clean in an I Quit match this is surely it. I can’t imagine anyone with any power in that company watching that promo on Wednesday and not coming to the same conclusion that they’ve hit the jackpot with this guy. I can’t stop thinking about it.

Edited by Supremo

That's a really good point @Supremo. 

I must admit, it's really easy for me to view wrestling through the lens and with the logic I've had ingrained into me through almost two decades of watching. 

"Babyface quits = bad", that's just fact, right?

But if you actually sit and think about it, particularly with Moxley in a promotion like AEW, it really does open up compelling storyline options. Moxley being haunted by the fact he actually said "I quit" and the path that would set him on as a character would be interesting and the eventual conclusion could be very rewarding.

Plus the actual moment, where Moxley says "I quit", would be so memorable and shocking that it has the potential to really get people talking. And fuck, it would do incredible things for Kingston. 

• Paid Members

The best submission/tap-out I ever saw was Chris Benoit - can't remember who it was against (might have been Angle), but the way he sold it was being trapped and absolutely furious. He knew he didn't have an option, so tapped. Kane did it well too, with a real sense of doing it while angrily shouting 'fuck!'. An 'I Quit' is fine in this one. Kingston won't be harmed by it. Hell, he submitted in his first match in AEW.

5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The best submission/tap-out I ever saw was Chris Benoit - can't remember who it was against (might have been Angle), but the way he sold it was being trapped and absolutely furious. He knew he didn't have an option, so tapped.

Royal Rumble 2003 I believe 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

22 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

I think we're forgetting the elephant in the room. The winner of Omega/Page is No. 1 contender. 

The sensible booking plan is Moxley/Omega II. 

Is it? Kingston making Moxley quit then going on to face Page could be fantastic. The promos he could cut on the alcoholic flake that is Page would be fantastic and it could potentially be the breakout feud Page needs to reach that next level. 

But even if Omega wins and Mox/Omega is the plan, a shock Kingston win isn’t incompatible with that. The next PPV after Full Gear would most likely be in February, meaning there’s plenty of time for Kingston to have a short title run in between that.

We’re all acknowledging that it’s unlikely that Moxley will drop the belt, but it’s much more fun to watch a PPV with the mindset that if we can convince ourselves of the merits of a Kingston title win, so can Tony Khan.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure Lance Archer is Kingston's next feud. Certainly it's set up and the promo Archer cut on Dark pretty much said it.

I don't see it happening but I'd love Kingston to win. But it's got to be Kingston quitting in reality. He's such an incredible talker that on Wednesday he will just talk himself out of the lose. My guess is that's exactly why they went with the stip. He's teflon as a heel and as a top notch talker.

They will batter each other to death and he'll look like a psychopath but lose. Then Wednesday come out with as much fire and hate in his eyes as ever.

Re: kids watching wrasslin these days. My Daughter is now 10 and will watch bits and Bob's of WWE. Particularly PPVs but has little time for the TV.

Where as she can't get enough of Dynamite. She's properly invested in pretty much everyone on the show and we watch it together every week without fail. Doesn't like Dark much though to be fair.

I use her as my barometer for how casuals think about angles and also compare her to how us lot think in the thread. I can tell you this much she believes Kingston is dangerous as hell and doesn't give a monkeys how he dresses. MJF infuriates her. Also she thought Miro looked like a beast in his match against Trent. She's pretty big on the idea of seeing Archer, Hager, Miro and Wardlow in a four way. But most importantly and I can't stress this enough, she loves John Silver.

• Paid Members

Part of me thinks Kingston will just not quit and Moxley will walk out. Has it been said that it's the main event or not yet? 

I really think Mox will just batter him and he won't say it, Mox leaves and Kingston comes out Wednesday and states he couldn't beat him, he's the deserved champion. If the ref just stops it (assuming it's Bryce) because Kingston is unconcious it works that way too, and starts to put clinks in Mox's armour of can he get the job done against the big boys.