The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Sentiments would be echoed generally for the matches. I quite enjoyed the tag title match but the image of Page standing in the tunnel as if he wants to celebrate with his old mates but is conflicted by so many things was ace. I'm not sure if the announcers were being too subtle by saying "someone's lurking in the background." I think they should have at least briefly addressed it as for me that was too subtle for wrestling.

The deletion match was definately the weakest Hardy cinematic match I've seen except for the Gangrel bit. Did anyone else notice the abysmal editing with Private Party who seemed to take ages to get going and then were quite clearly waiting by about 5 metres back from the ring in one shot doing nothing waiting for their que.  

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chris B said:

While I continue to think Cody shouldn't ever challenge for the title, the only way I could see them allowing it is if Omega (as champion) chases Cody, deciding he wants the TNT title as well. And he's glorying over the fact that only Cody's title will be on the line - but an edict comes down that Omega can only challenge for the TNT title if both are on the line. 

That'd take a good year or so, but I could see it happening. I'd rather they don't, though, and stick with the Hangman plan.

I honestly think they intend to stick with the stipulation, and have Cody's thing be to elevate the TNT Title in the manner of RVD with the TV Title in ECW. We're so used to the WWE/WCW approach to stipulations that every time one's announced, our reaction is "right, how are they going to work their way out of this one?", when actually they haven't really given us any indication that they don't intend to honour it.

I do think they want to that well too early, though - I'd have preferred to see Cody challenge for the belt a couple of times before feeling desperate enough to put that on the line. 

9 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Did anyone else notice the abysmal editing with Private Party who seemed to take ages to get going and then were quite clearly waiting by about 5 metres back from the ring in one shot doing nothing waiting for their que.  

Absolutely laughed out loud at this bit, just unforgivably low rent stuff, even if it was a bit blink and you'll miss it.

Cody challenging only logically works if MJF is champion and it’s MJF who breaks the deal. 

but it’s wrestling, if In two years they break it, no one in the real world will care 

• Paid Members

What I'm about to suggest is very WWE so flame to hell if needs be. 

Could Omega be the reason Cody gets his title shots back? 

If Omega wins the belt and uses his VP (I swear he has it, otherwise sub in the Bucks here on his side) power to veto  challenger after challenger, nobody deserves it, he knows their limits etc, its best for business, have Cody come out and challenge Omega that he's scared, he's not good enough, but if he really wants more power to say so, face Cody, the chance at his share in the company vs Cody being allowed to challenge for the belt again. Cody wins the fight, can challenge for the belt but instead chooses Page, giving Page the rub by saying while he's proven he can best Omega, he knows Hangman is the future of the company. 

Means Page can feud with the belt with others while full blown crazy Kenny can chase Cody for a while desperate to get his win back. 

It may sound stupid, but I think it'd make a good 2/3 month build into a future Hangman vs Kenny blowoff. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'm Brodie Lee hasn't wrestled since losing the TV belt. 

He was on the AEW podcast and said he's currently recovering from an injury he got in the dog collar match.

Edited by LaGoosh

One thing I still feel about aew is there’s still a few years worth of feuds there for the top Guys, and even more with the first crop of their own guys coming up in Darby and Orange. And behind them you have the Wardlows and Jungle Boys that in 2 years will be up the card further still. Then there will be the natural moves between wwe and them to mix that further. Plenty to still enjoy 

• Paid Members

I think it’s obvious that Cody’s never fighting for the AEW Title again. They’ve referenced it too many times as an example of them sticking to their stipulations. It’s clear that stip exists for that exact reason.

Plus, if Cody runs out of things to do and wants to fight for a World Title Nick Aldis is only a phone call away. 

• Paid Members

I had a great time watching this show. One of my three favourites this year, along with Royal Rumble and Double or Nothing (I think that was the one with the Stadium Stampede). 

Any PPV that has three really good matches, and a handful of other good ones, is a damn fine effort. 

I'd have a hard time picking between Page Vs Omega and Cody Vs Darby as which was my favourite, then the tag title match rounded out the trio. Even the main event, while some were down on it, and it isn't my thing, I did expect them to do a death match style of a match but I was just glad it wasn't the typical '5 minutes a time to set up an awkward table/ladder spot' type of thing. It was a gory brawl that at times was unpleasant looking, as you are going to get with thumbtacks and barbed wire. 

I'm just grateful for AEW to be honest. I really wasn't sold on their very early shows, bar Dustin Vs Cody. I wasn't hyped on the promotion before it started and I thought they shit the bed once they did start. Fuck me though, once Dynamite began, and barring that awkward period at the end of last year, they have really reignited my interest in wrestling, that WWE is doing it's best to extinguish. 

I didn't like how Hardy Vs Sammy ended. It got uncomfortable. I feel they should have stayed full on comedy with this one. If they wanted it to be serious for the ending, then have a blow off match in the ring instead of the compound. 

I didn't watch Shida Vs Rose so I have no idea if it was a plus or negative to the show. 

The other negative is an ongoing thing and not restricted to this show. The Bucks and Kenny should be heels. This indecisive stuff is going on too long, and it needs kicked into higher gear. AEW have enough good will in the bank though that I think they'll do it the right way. 

Also, Cody should be wrestling heels more often, as he's great as a face. He could be a heel too and I'm sure be very good at it, but he wrestles other faces way too regularly, and that should be reserved for the actual heel turn. Which should only happen when Hangman is established as a championship level face so that they aren't too weak on that end. They are heel heavy at the moment I feel.

Seems I'm the only one that doesn't get Adam Page. 29 years old, a 6-man tag Title to his name & AEW tag Titles. That's the future of the company is it? None of his promo's work for me. They're hammy and entirely unconvincing. I've never particularly equated/linked him with Kenny, or at least in any sense of them being best buddies for years (Bullet Club, BTE...meh). Kenny largely resided in Japan for years didn't he? Even if it were the case, who cares? They've dragged this shit out for what(?), better part of a year now. We've had the match, now move on and away from what must be one of the most overblown, unconvincing wrestling storylines ever. There's plenty of other talent to go with. Sorry y'all.

7 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

We've had the match, now move on and away from what must be one of the most overblown, unconvincing wrestling storylines ever. There's plenty of other talent to go with. Sorry y'all.

You almost had a point until that.

I didn't get Adam Page. Certainly not to start with. I've seen him before and didn't rate him enough to believe he should be the one opposite Jericho for the first AEW champion. It felt like he was completely out of his depth at that point, but in context I suppose that made sense. Whether that was really always the plan or not in terms of bigger picture, I guess we'll never know.

However to suggest that it's 'one of the most unconvincing wrestling storylines ever' is pretty OTT. Especially considering how many absolutely fucking mental storylines we've had over the years in all wrestling companies.

Yes, AEW has a roster full of capable people, but they'd struck something pretty special with Page and his connection with the audience. This Covid stuff has come at a really shit time for him to be honest as I feel like he could've been crazy over in front of crowds earlier in the year. The longer it goes on for, the more difficult it's going to be for them to get that back for him. I hope they can but only time will tell on that.

He's different to the bout machine Kenny Omega or the flashy Bucks etc. He's more of a relatable and enjoyable character who is solid in ring but that's not really his selling point. But then main eventers should be more about the package than anything and AEW managed to make him into a compelling and intriguing wrestler that a LOT of people were interested in seeing and were really invested in.

10 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Seems I'm the only one that doesn't get Adam Page. 29 years old, a 6-man tag Title to his name & AEW tag Titles. That's the future of the company is it? None of his promo's work for me. They're hammy and entirely unconvincing. I've never particularly equated/linked him with Kenny, or at least in any sense of them being best buddies for years (Bullet Club, BTE...meh). Kenny largely resided in Japan for years didn't he? Even if it were the case, who cares? They've dragged this shit out for what(?), better part of a year now. We've had the match, now move on and away from what must be one of the most overblown, unconvincing wrestling storylines ever. There's plenty of other talent to go with. Sorry y'all.

Looks like your the only one that doesn't get Adam Page then.

Never seen him before AEW, knew what Kenny Omega was prior to AEW but hadn't seen a lick of his work and went off the hype of anyone associated with AEW. Kenny was promoted as a guy, so I treated him as such when starting AEW. I think it's been brilliant but that is because I'm just linking the Elite as this obvious group of underground mates who banded and now that appears to falling apart a bit. 

Adam Page achieving seemingly fuck all elsewhere is the point though isn't it. The guy who will be the guy but he doesn't know it yet.

43 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I think it’s obvious that Cody’s never fighting for the AEW Title again. They’ve referenced it too many times as an example of them sticking to their stipulations. It’s clear that stip exists for that exact reason.

Plus, if Cody runs out of things to do and wants to fight for a World Title Nick Aldis is only a phone call away. 

I think they genuinely do intend to stick to that stipulation, but there's going to come a point where people really want to see him go in for that belt and they'll end up finding a way out of the stip. Personally, I'd love to see him win the AEW title at some point and the thought of it not happening...well, it bums me out a little. 

Nobody does an emotional title win quite like Cody Rhodes, and he deserves to hold the biggest belt in the company he helped create at some point. 

Then again, he's presumably responsible The Nightmare Family and the pushes for Brandi and QT Marshall, so maybe he doesn't. 

16 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Even if it were the case, who cares? They've dragged this shit out for what(?), better part of a year now. We've had the match, now move on and away from what must be one of the most overblown, unconvincing wrestling storylines ever. There's plenty of other talent to go with. Sorry y'all.

I saw Page wrestle once before AEW, in ROH in Doncaster against Tanahashi. They tore the fucking house down but he was so generic and bland, his character was Just Some Bloke. Now though, fucking hell. He's one of the most compelling, interesting and human characters AEW has got and that there has been in wrestling full stop for maybe 10 years, and it's ALL thanks to this story. How many other wrestlers could show the amount of anguish he has done without them coming across as weak? And when he does show weakness he's even more fucking likeable. 

For all the whining of "They never do long term booking anymore" when a company finally does it, in a story that could probably run and be interesting for another 6 months, that's been crafted so well and given us Douchebag Overblown Entrance Omega as a by-product, it's somehow "overblown".  Do you honestly think that one tournament final match should be the payoff? There's so much more for this story to give. Hangman/ Omega 2 is where the money is at and I can't fucking wait to see how we get there.