The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

15 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

My main issue with Excalibur is that every time JR mentions about “wearing your masks”, the daft bollock points at his in a “yeah, just like me” sort of way. A mask which doesn’t cover your nose & mouth doesn’t help things, you virus spreading twat.

I think he's joking.

• Paid Members

I don’t know how much Sting is getting paid but I swear he’ll be worth the price once fans come back by simply being on the event posters. I don’t think there’s anyone who looks better on a poster.

C4C42D23-20FC-4AE1-9E2C-A401811A4EAE.thumb.jpeg.7fa3660b24f3cfced250e71aaf7378ca.jpeg

For anyone who actually watches Impact - who should I be excited to see? Who would theoretically be Impact’s top guys for the inevitable Blood & Guts match? The little I know about Impact the only people I’m interested in seeing are Ken Shamrock and Heath Slater, but they hardly feel like top guys.

Thinking back though, they didn’t half mention Motor City Machine Guns a lot during the last few times Young Bucks wrestled, didn’t they? I’m far more excited for that potential match than the proposed match with Anderson and Gallows. Fuck those bores.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

For anyone who actually watches Impact - who should I be excited to see? Who would theoretically be Impact’s top guys for the inevitable Blood & Guts match? The little I know about Impact the only people I’m interested in seeing are Ken Shamrock and Heath Slater, but they hardly feel like top guys.

Thinking back though, they didn’t half mention Motor City Machine Guns a lot during the last few times Young Bucks wrestled, didn’t they? I’m far more excited for that potential match than the proposed match with Anderson and Gallows. Fuck those bores.

Its interesting that you say that about Anderson and Gallows as, coming from the opposite perspective of yourself, I'm not sure I really 'get' them either.

I've never really watched NJPW or ROH so can only remember Luke Gallows for his WWE run and as a part of Aces and Eights. When their signing was first mooted I was intrigued as I knew they were a big name with a cult following. But thus far I've been a little underwhelmed although they've had nothing but good things to say about the company (who are undoubtedly paying them a very big whack by Impact standards.)

Personally I hope they don't go for a blood and guts type match down the line as  both companies 'main event scene is so unbalanced it would be a bit farcical. At a push, a team of four would probably be Moose, Rich Swann, Shamrock and Eric Young. In all honesty, that's not going to sell many PPVs against AEW's top brass is it?

What Impact brings to the table is a couple of intriguing tag matches, bolstering the women's roster and a couple of midcard matches. Any crossover/angle could easily avoid the main event scene, sans for Callis' involvement with Omega.

Of course a big factor is that a large number of the Impact roster has debuted since March, so its not immediately apparent who's 'over' as they've been wrestling in empty studios since then. Even moreso on a much bigger platform such as AEW.

Personally I think that Chris Bey will be a superstar and seems to have 'it', Willy Mack is also under-utilised in my view and I'm sure that Heath Slater and Rhino will at least be familiar to national/international audiences. RVD is also back and forth so they'd probably bring him in for an initial pop at least.

But as for the women's side, Britt Baker has weeks and weeks of potential matches there. It would only be an improvement. The North are a great tag team so I'm hoping that Ethan Page sticks around for a bit longer at least.

As I've said before, Impact could be a very handy outlet to send a few underutilised AEW talent for a few months. Wrestlers usually end up leaving Impact as much better performers than they were coming in.

Edited by garynysmon

What do you's reckon will happen with the FTW title? Taz mentioned something about it being for "tough guys" or similar? 

Do they make it have no rules without calling it hardcore which dates it? Two tough hoses batter each other til there's a winner?

I think it'll become something soon not sure what but needs to be different so it's not just another title.

Edited by The Cutting Edge

34 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

What do you's reckon will happen with the FTW title? Taz mentioned something about it being for "tough guys" or similar? D

Do they make have no rules without calling it hardcore which dates it?

I think it'll become something soon not sure what but needs to be different so it's not just another title.

I'd have no issue with it being a tap out/knockout title only. Aew are clearly willing to work with other promotions so they won't be shy of bodies to flesh out the division. I want full mma build though, press conference, weigh in, the works.... 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

I'd have no issue with it being a tap out/knockout title only. Aew are clearly willing to work with other promotions so they won't be shy of bodies to flesh out the division. I want full mma build though, press conference, weigh in, the works.... 

Did AEW do something like that for their initial PPV or two? Might have imagined it, seems like a really good idea and a nice extra way to differentiate their presentation from the way other companies do it. 

21 hours ago, Louch said:

If you are fed up of Excalibur naming a move too many times in a show, it’s the move being used in too many matches that’s the problem, not him calling it 

I do not disagree with that statement at all. However, I think it's more his over sell of how he says it that is what highlights it more. 30 years of watching wrestling and I don't get tired of a bodyslam or dropkick being called 50 times a show. It truly is in that stupid delivery. 

Yes, the move should be used less. A lot less. But he doesn't need to describe it in that exact way every single time.

14 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

I'd have it stay exactly how it is honestly. Something that has value to Team Taz as a representation of his trust in them. Maybe it gets put on the line once in a blue moon and someone actually does win it and lost it back but it shouldn't be more than a modern day Million Dollar belt to me. 

I don't think Impact has the talent to headline a Blood & Guts match and I don't think that's the way they are going. Cody, Darby, Dustin and Sting Vs Cage, Hobbs, Starks and ? sounds more likely. Sting won't have to do anything in that.

Although Omega is turning up on Impact to give them the rub the most likely scenario out of all of this is Dark goes back down to a manageable 45 minute/1 hour show for lower level guys and a lot of the others end up in Impact on the regular (like Pillman and Griff and some women) to bolster their roster, which occasional bigger name talent exchange.

I don't suppose Khan has purchased Impact/a part of it has he and it just becomes the 2nd show they were talking about?

Anyway, I can't say I was surprised by the inter-promotional announcement. They showed they were willing to elevate other companies with the NWA and as soon as Callis turned up a while back the cogs started spinning. I'm ALL IN! :)

• Paid Members

I'm sure this has been mooted previously, but I wonder if the whole Omega showing up on Impact deal is leading to a situation down the line where the AEW championship is legitimised to the degree that its recognised akin to the NWA world title used to? I.e would the smaller companies start to recognise the AEW World Championship while retaining their own secondary championship titles? 

Would it lead to the AEW world champion appearing occasionally on Impact (MLW? ROH?) to defend the title in whatever promotions are loosely affiliated to AEW? The trade-off is that AEW would lose exclusivity over one of their top draws.

Of course what muddies the water somewhat is that the actual NWA world title is still in existence....

I very much doubt that Impact is being sold to Tony Khan or anything like that. A small stake to solidify any partnership? Quite possibly. But Anthem saved Impact to ensure guaranteed programming for its own networks so I can't see why they'd decide to sell up now they bought AXS and it remains the top rated show (albeit a low bar).

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

*Spoiler: Positive post Alert *

I absolutely loved, loved, loved this show. I was stuck in work all weekend and luckily managed to avoid spoilers to Dynamite. It's taken me until late last night to watch it, and until now to read all of the posts in this thread. 

What a bloody brilliant episode of wrestling TV that was. The most I have enjoyed watching an episode of weekly wrestling in half a life time. I haven't anything negative to say. If by the end of the show you find yourself grinning like a Cheshire cat, then it's done its job and then some. Bravo AEW.