The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

If this coming Impact is like last week's it'll be Matthews & Striker on commentary and people will wonder whether they're watching an episode of Velocity. I gave this week's impact a quick watch,  and the hokey Wrestler's court thing was a touch daft. Some of the wrestling wasn't bad, but I guess most of the "names" in wrestling will either be in WWE or  AEW. It was funny hearing Krl Anderson talk about the "New York" tag team titles.

1 hour ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Too me it draws too much attention and looks a bit amateurish, unless he was a legit lucha that makes sense 

This debate has happened before. 

Excalibur was a minor name on the West Coast scene with PWG. I think he was booker too, and definitely cut his teeth on commentary there, so he's certainly well known in the circles of wrestlers AEW have.

Personally, I think it's a fun gimmick for a commentator, no different from JR's cowboy hat or Tazz' orange rimmed shades. He's a still a unique enough voice to separate the sound of AEW from others, and is smart on the modern style of wrestling at least in terms of play by play to complement the nostalgic tones and old school approach of Ross and Schiavone. You see him on screen perhaps half a dozen times for a few seconds a time per episode. The only issue I have with the look is the shape of the mouth cutaway which clashes with his choice of facial hair.

Apart from that though, I think Excalibur is doing a great job, and hopefully sitting him alongside the vets is a worthwhile investment in him being the longterm voice of Dynamite.

I'm not sure if it's more a critique of the general commentating standards (by myself) in pro wrestling today, but I don't mind Excalibur. Sure he isn't perfect, but he's certainly no worse than what's out there already.

My absolute bug bear, nah forget that - rip off my own ears problem with him is, 'tope suicida'. About half a dozen times each show. I'm not having it as a catchphrase (like Heyman screaming, 'gore, gore, gore'), a catchphrase should work or happen once an episode. It is overkill. (And yes, I'm aware it's been used as a criticism of him previously. But still, over a year later and it's still far too much).

On another note... solid episode from them. I would have preferred the sting reveal to be in the main event segment of the show. For clarity, not part of the Omega/Moxley match. But had they hung on a week, to put that Cody/Darby v Hobbs/Starks match at the top. I know he's a 60 year old man, but it's still another hook to put in front of people to anticipate the following weeks episode.

Edited by Mikeymike83

17 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

My main issue with Excaliber is that he keeps mistaking the Double Underhook Piledriver for a Tiger Driver '98, though I suppose for most that's a relatively minor gripe.

My main issue with Excalibur is that every time JR mentions about “wearing your masks”, the daft bollock points at his in a “yeah, just like me” sort of way. A mask which doesn’t cover your nose & mouth doesn’t help things, you virus spreading twat.

Obviously there’s a tonne of other reasons to dislike him too

Edited by WyattSheepMask

If you are fed up of Excalibur naming a move too many times in a show, it’s the move being used in too many matches that’s the problem, not him calling it 

Didn't know Excalibur prior to AEW and he's alright, he's definitely needed. The mask is just kinda there now, but it took getting used to. 

I'm honestly a bit fond of Alex Marvez as the dim but persistent backstage reporter. He absolutely died on his bean as an announcer but he's a bit of fun in this role. 

Edited by Chili