The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I think he'll be slightly more active than Tully, Arn and Jake are but less than DDP was in that little cameo run.

I don't think he'll be taking the one winged angel or package pile-driver any time soon. If he flat backs at all I'd be surprised tbh.

Does any one really think he's coming back as an active wrestler, rather than a character on a TV show?

Even if he's just an on-screen character and won't be wrestling, I'm happy Sting is back on TV and hopefully it'll be a better wind down of his career than that WWE run was, which ended with him getting his neck fucked by that cretin Rollins, then wheeled out the door. He deserves better than that.

The end to the main event match I enjoyed, as even if it wasn't executed one hundred percent correctly, it brings a bit of that excitement and unpredictability back to wrestling, something that's been missing for a loooong time now.

And the fact that we've got The Jackyl involved, and he's gonna announce the comeback of The Truth Commission is even better!

• Paid Members

The NYTimes have posted their best 2020 TV performances list and incredibly MJF made the list for the musical segment. WWE would kill for something like this in such a major publication. Whoever works in AEWs publicity/PR department seems to be doing a bang up job.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The NYTimes have posted their best 2020 TV performances list and incredibly MJF made the list for the musical segment. WWE would kill for something like this in such a major publication. Whoever works in AEWs publicity/PR department seems to be doing a bang up job.

The fact that they do proper press conferences and don't treat outside press as something to be suspicious of really puts them in good stead, as it all but guarantees them a more positive relationship with the wider media, rather than having to occasionally beg for favours. It's something that will pay off for them more and more as they build more relationships, I'm sure.

• Paid Members

in fairness, MJF massively showed up Jericho's awful singing voice in that skit. If you had to ask a first-time viewer which of the two had a sideline as an actual singer (I was going to say "made money as", but there's no way Fozzy isn't a money sink), no one was pointing to Jericho.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The fact that they do proper press conferences and don't treat outside press as something to be suspicious of really puts them in good stead, as it all but guarantees them a more positive relationship with the wider media, rather than having to occasionally beg for favours. It's something that will pay off for them more and more as they build more relationships, I'm sure.

Definitely helps that the people doing press for them (Tony Khan, Cody Rhodes, Brandi etc) come across as normal, friendly open people. There's never been an interview with Vince where he hasn't come across as a total fucking weirdo.

3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

My one criticism about Wednesday’s show is that they seem to be pulling the trigger on MJF and the Inner Circle. I would have happily taken another few months of them bickering and glaring at each other.

Yeah it's quite surprising the speed they've moved with that considering how patient they've been with other storylines, but I guess we'll see. They might have something else up their sleeves.

One thing I thought about with Miro's dodgy debut and run so far, I know Khan said it's about ranking system and guys coming in mid year but that's something they'll have to work on.

It's good to have long-term plans but new guys are gonna pop up all the time and they need to capitalise on there momentum and slot them in, Miro showed promise in the battle royal, he needs to be a face too, there's plenty monster heels so he'd stand out as a beast face

Loved the show. Shame about the ending.

Battle royal was tons of fun. I really like the bulldog style bundle in to start. Like the Stadium Stampede, there's some cool about tons of wrestlers hurtling at each other like a beefy X Men intro. Wardlow being a human shield is the kind of touch I absolutely love. I really like Dark Order turning into a nerdy frat house while Brodie's away. Cabana, Silver, even Uno could all get a great boost standing up to him when he returns. Enjoyed the interplay between them and Page, including the tribute to the Rosebuds straight into the Buckshot. The air went out of the room when Hardy eliminated him. Hardy trying to turn heel with a vague weak promo the week before was nonsensical, especially while he's still associated with Private Party, another unnecessary blurring of face/heel lines. Spears is a scrub now and even Tully seems bored of him. Very smart ending with future star Jungle Boy vs the IC, and a brilliant apron gymnastic show by the bouncy lads.

Weird note - I got distracted by Kip and his trunks. When the DO are so strongly associated with the colour purple, it looks weird when someone else wears it.

Kaz didn't look well, with a red puffy nose, and looked blown up early on. A fairly nothing match, but a really good postmatch angle. I don't think they've hotshotted the Ultimatum - the MJF IC angle has been running for about 2 months, and I think it's just the lack of monthly PPVs that makes it feel like it's not been long. And of course, it's being sold as the big decision, but there's nothing saying they won't opt to stay together for the good of the group, only for MJF to give the cameras a sideways glance.

Baker's back. Hirsch was fun in parts but definitely needs polishing up. Hoping that the match with Rosa gets Baker to tighten up a little on her strikes.

I don't know if it's the tights and blond hair, but I always thought Cody fashioned himself after Surfer Sting as a face. No bad thing. Match went as expected, with Darby taking a kicking and Cody making the save into the finish.

IT'S STING. You're goddamn right it is, uncle Tone. Totally unexpected (if you avoided your Insta), great presentation, and a masterclass in how to communicate different stories with one look each. My only minor, minor gripe, and probably one that would have undercut the reveal, would've been the lack of new look for the Stinger. I know it'd be pretty odd NOT having a legend turn up looking like the legend, but Real Estate Steve needs to do something about the George Alagaya hologram hair. Bic it or buzz it and bleach it. Just something to hide his age like his face paint has. He should also go for a version of his shoulder-padded attire he had for a cup of coffee in his early Crow days, to improve his frame. But yeah. Sting. Schiavone cannot wait for next week.

I found Mox Omega a bit of a damp squib, to be honest. I realised Omega's combos of moves feel quite midcard and spotty, whereas Mox being able to make the most of one or two on their own just feels more accomplished. The chair spot seemed to come out of nowhere. And the bump into a gimmicked cereal box, followed by the muddled overengineered mic spot was contrived and confusing. We still hadn't seen proof Omega attacked Mox previously, Callis had made no hints at heelery or shenanigans, Omega's heel run has consisted of one squash of Sonny Kiss and an entrance change. "Tune in this Tuesday on Impact." Fuck off. I don't care enough about an underachieving newly-crowned champion turning up in an empty studio for a promotion I haven't watched outside YouTube clips in 10 years. I'm not buying an AEW video game so I can play as Fallah Bahh or Suicide.

I'd love them to shrug and make the TNT title the main belt, to be honest.

Brilliant show, loved every second of it!

Sting coming in feels incredible. My immediate thoughts were that he might not be up for wrestling or that if he is the match won't live up to expectations. Then I remembered he had a MotY candidate IMO with a mostly crippled Hogan in 2011... so a match with an AEW guy (Jericho, Cody??) should be just fine.

The ending of the show may not have been quite pitch perfect but it was a genuine surprise and the thought of a heel Omega paired with Callis as the mouthpiece fills me with glee.

Fuck, AEW is great!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I know it'd be pretty odd NOT having a legend turn up looking like the legend, but Real Estate Steve needs to do something about the George Alagaya hologram hair. Bic it or buzz it and bleach it. Just something to hide his age like his face paint has. 

It's always interesting to see someone's views when you can see their point, but also totally disagree.

Sting coming out with his natural hair colour and looking more his age was something I specifically liked. I know there's always an element of willing suspension of disbelief, but I'm fine with Sting being older and maybe even more broken down (but can still go out and fight if he needs to). It's kind of how I wish WWE had booked Undertaker over the last 5-10 years. I'm actually more interested in that than I am in trying too hard to hide that fact.

3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I found Mox Omega a bit of a damp squib, to be honest. I realised Omega's combos of moves feel quite midcard and spotty, whereas Mox being able to make the most of one or two on their own just feels more accomplished. The chair spot seemed to come out of nowhere. And the bump into a gimmicked cereal box, followed by the muddled overengineered mic spot was contrived and confusing. We still hadn't seen proof Omega attacked Mox previously, Callis had made no hints at heelery or shenanigans, Omega's heel run has consisted of one squash of Sonny Kiss and an entrance change. 

Some of Omega's moves look midcard (the 'You can't escape' in particular), but when he goes into that final gear, the V-Trigger variations and the One-Winged Angel can look really good. That run of multiple V-Triggers after the mic-shot was one of the best sequences I've seen in a very long time. Just looked utterly brutal (especially after he'd dropped the knee-pad). To me, it looked so good that it saved the angle entirely.

Also, the heelery - I think that's underplaying the verbal stuff. The dismissing and talking down of Hangman, the mocking of Moxley's injuries - they've been pretty solidly heelish, even if subtle. As soon as he started talking about the 'gentlemen's agreement' as well, it was pretty much a case of waiting to see how he'd cheat.  

What I liked about the main event was the mic shot wasn’t the finish. Too often we see a weapon or a low blow And that’s it. Instead this was just the momentum change. It wasn’t just a mic between the eyes, it was that, then the multiple V Triggers, THEN the one winged angel. It wasn’t a clean finish, but wasn’t leaving the weapon as what won it to me.

Reminded me of Lesnar vs Eddie that the Goldberg spear changed things, but it was Eddie’s DDT then frog splash that defeated Brock. Makes the champions moves credible, and wasn’t won on a fluke like most first time wwe champions have been crowned over the last 15 years or so.