The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Having now seen the main event, do you think Meltzer finally realises Omega is a heel?

Fuck me though. Great finish.  Loved it. Completely worth the wait for Kenny to finally show his true colours. What a prick.

We need some type of hero now to save this company from a snide, cheating turncoat. 

DF8887E4-FC60-434E-8A71-A200851C5FF3.jpeg.189f8e55825f206d80d1a8122c290c2c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The Sting debut pissed all over his WWE debut for one reason only. Tony Schiavone.

I don’t know how anyone can watch that segment and not vote Big Tone as the commentator of the year. He’s either the best actor ever or he’s genuinely the happiest, most enthusiastic man in the business. I think it’s the latter but the beauty is that it doesn’t matter either way. He’s a joy to listen to, constantly elevating these big moments and making me feel like a kid again watching them. I fucking love him. When they announced he was interviewing Sting next week I nearly punched the air.

The two extreme ends of the commentary spectrum are Tony Schiavone shouting, “IT’S STING!” and Michael Cole shouting, “IT’S BOSS TIME!”

Yeah you're spot on there, AEW let Tony take the lead on it and allowed JR and Excalibur take the step back to sell the moment before Ross chimed in with his Ross-isms about the crowd reaction, compare that to Cole having to put up with Lawler trying to shit on it as much as possible and JBL rolling off Sting's accomplishments instead of letting the moment sink in

I’ve watched that Sting reveal back a bunch of times. It’s really hammered home how much crowds are needed back, even if pockets of fans are a bunch of absolute cretins.
I know AEW have a number of people in the venue, but can you imagine the pop that would’ve got in an arena full of fans. The best part about it too was that there hasn’t been an inkling that Sting was coming in, at least from what I’d seen

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I loved that. As Battle Royals go, they did so much - multiple storylines and reminding you who are big deals. The Sting debut was stunning - the snow was such a great touch.

The main event, once it kicked into gear, was great. I wasn't sure where it was going with the chairs, but that felt very in-character for Mox. The screwjob was scrappy, but those multiple v-triggers were such a great moment, and then the chaos, I was fine with.

Great article here that sheds some light on Callis and Omega's relationship. I'm liking where this is going.

https://fightgamemedia.com/2020/11/a-matter-of-family-how-don-callis-and-kenny-omega-forged-a-golden-relationship/

7 hours ago, Supremo said:

The Sting debut pissed all over his WWE debut for one reason only. Tony Schiavone.

I don’t know how anyone can watch that segment and not vote Big Tone as the commentator of the year. He’s either the best actor ever or he’s genuinely the happiest, most enthusiastic man in the business. I think it’s the latter but the beauty is that it doesn’t matter either way. He’s a joy to listen to, constantly elevating these big moments and making me feel like a kid again watching them. I fucking love him. When they announced he was interviewing Sting next week I nearly punched the air.

The two extreme ends of the commentary spectrum are Tony Schiavone shouting, “IT’S STING!” and Michael Cole shouting, “IT’S BOSS TIME!”

Tony Schiavone is the best. I understand that JR is the better known name of the two, but Big Tone was by far the best investment out of the Monday Night War commentators.

I think I can beat the lower point of the commentary spectrum though... I was thinking back to other calls of debuts/returns after Schiavone's call, and I remembered, "...It's Christian" from Todd Grisham on ECW in 2009. Said with all the enthusiasm of seeing that old mate from high school that wasn't really your mate while you're out shopping.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’ve watched that Sting reveal back a bunch of times. It’s really hammered home how much crowds are needed back, even if pockets of fans are a bunch of absolute cretins.
I know AEW have a number of people in the venue, but can you imagine the pop that would’ve got in an arena full of fans. The best part about it too was that there hasn’t been an inkling that Sting was coming in, at least from what I’d seen

There were rumours a few months ago that he was coming in to feud with Jericho, which is when Jericho started using the baseball bat. Wouldn't surprise me if he signed months ago (like Brian Cage did) and they have been waiting for fans to return or the right storyline. 

Fully agree, if Dailys Place was full to the brim, the pop wouldn't have been unrivalled. 

I thought the pop was pretty good for the amount of people there to be honest but yes it would have been huge with a full up arena.

I keep thinking that Tony is so great as he's taken so much time off and fallen back in love with wrestling quite clearly. Perhaps JR would be like that if certain tragic personal events and decades of essentially being bullied and fucked around by a nutcase hadn't happened to him. I don't think he'll ever get his spark back now unless as people have discussed he goes very very part time at the desk. 

I'm hoping if it is going to be more than a brief one off "look Omegas on Impact" thing that they keep the crossovers to the level of ECW/WWF in 97 with only a few key players coming up to AEW like Gallows/Anderson while Impact can utilise some of AEW's undercard guys and the only real story based plot is around Calli's and Omega with most of the time it only being Calli's mentioning the story on Impact. 

• Paid Members

I’m super interested in a Sting/Jericho face off. Have they ever really interacted or had a match? It feels like one of the bigger things they can now do. Easily the two biggest mainstream names in the company. Even if it’s just promos, I’d be happy to see it.

Plus, if Sting is able to do matches there aren’t many guys who’d give him a safer match than Jericho. It’s not like he’s going to be doing mad dives or fucking Buckle Bombs on the old man.

• Paid Members

I was trying to think yesterday about who I could even picture Sting wrestling on the AEW roster; nothing really screams "dream match" the way that he had some potential ones lined up in WWE, because not enough of the AEW roster have that kind of equity built up in them, nor are they the kind of wrestler I could picture across the ring from Sting. 

Jericho actually hadn't occurred to me, but they could work a fantastic smoke and mirrors brawl, and it would feel like a convincingly big match rather than risk making it look like Sting was slumming it - they want the likes of Sting to elevate their product, not have the TNA problem of it looking like the big star is stooping to their level, and a first time ever match with Jericho could be the best way to achieve that.

Someone suggested that we'll see Cody in Surfer Sting facepaint, and now I love the idea of seeing Sting in a six-man tag with Cody and Darby, Cody done up as Surfer Sting, with Darby wearing half Sting facepaint. That could look awesome. 

I also really like the prospect of Eddie Kingston cutting promos on Sting.

Gran Akuma on Twitter pitched that the best outcome of the Impact relationship would be if it tied into the video game turning out to be an AEW Vs. The World deal - apparently they said there were aspects of the game they couldn't talk about it because it would spoil future plans, and involvement from Impact could have been it. If they can get a few names from other promotions involved, it could help it stand out from WWE games in a different way, as well as having some nice WCW game nostalgia attached to it. In an ideal world, I'd see them aiming to do a "Vs. The World" themed PPV to tie in with the release date too.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Gran Akuma on Twitter pitched that the best outcome of the Impact relationship would be if it tied into the video game turning out to be an AEW Vs. The World deal - apparently they said there were aspects of the game they couldn't talk about it because it would spoil future plans, and involvement from Impact could have been it. If they can get a few names from other promotions involved, it could help it stand out from WWE games in a different way, as well as having some nice WCW game nostalgia attached to it. In an ideal world, I'd see them aiming to do a "Vs. The World" themed PPV to tie in with the release date too.

I never considered that, but Impact did withdraw their trademarks from an in-development game not too long ago and Scott D'amore was pretty positive about Impact video game involvement in a recent interview. Potential for an add-on DLC pack or something?