The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

It was cool to read that Kenny Omega pulled a Rick Rude last night, appearing on both the Impact and AAA show at the same time. It took forever for him to feel like a big deal and now he’s feeling like one of the biggest things in the sport.

I’m finally excited by the idea of them working with New Japan if it plays into this idea of him going everywhere and collecting belts as the arrogant prick.

Meltzer touched on it a little bit last week and I’m totally in agreement - this pairing of Kenny and Callis feels like the type of act that pops a territory. It wasn’t surprising at all to read their rating actually went up from the big show.

It’s obviously on a much different scale, with completely different context, and maybe I’ll look back and feel like an idiot, but I’ll say it. There’s some real WWF 1997-1998 vibes here. WWF produced great content through most of 1997 but it took the spark of Stone Cold in early 1998 to take it to the next level. AEW feels similar. They’ve been doing solid shows, filled with interesting, exciting stuff for months, and now this Omega thing feels like the spark that could really ignite them.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Meltzer touched on it a little bit last week and I’m totally in agreement - this pairing of Kenny and Callis feels like the type of act that pops a territory. It wasn’t surprising at all to read their rating actually went up from the big show.

Enough in itself to answer all the doubters who spent the best part of a week claiming that AEW would get fuck all from working with Impact.

Edited by garynysmon

• Moderators

The impact show was tped a while ago. 

Also he needs to get off my impact. Omega = less undead realm/Johnny Swinger pissing about. 

Hoping too Joe Doering doesn't get Stolen. 

Edited by PowerButchi

On 12/12/2020 at 5:08 PM, LCJ said:

If I was a wrestler and I was asked to have done the Stardust gimmick, I wouldn’t have been happy about it either. I would consider that alone as bad treatment and the final straw which I assume, Cody did as well hence why he left.

It depends what level of talent you were, doesn't it? If you're a star and top talent then sure, you can feel aggrieved at being hit with a shitty gimmick. If you're a minor part of the roster you take what you're given and just be happy you're even on the show.

Cody Rhodes is the drizzling shits. He looked like an insurance salesman during much of his WWE run. Now he's Max Headroom with shit tattoos.

His gimmicks during his WWE stint weren't a case of bad treatment. If he wasn't Dusty's son he wouldn't even have been on the fucking roster. 

How many tweaks or gimmicks did he have in WWE? 

Rookie/white meat baby-face.

Heel with Legacy.

Dashing with mirror

Undashing with mask/broken face.

Moustache enthusiast 

Face turn/ Rhodes Dynasty

Stardust 

Am I missing any?

And during his run he worked with mostly top guys, DX, McMahon's, vs Orton at Mania, Rey singles match at Mania (not everyone gets 1vs1 at WM, tag and ic title runs, hot angle with his family vs Shield/Authority, as Stardust trusted to work with Celebrity Stephen Amell at Summerslam.

Plus loads of other stuff without going into full timeline, if that's shitty booking them I'd be happy to take it

• Paid Members

I never saw the problem with the Stardust gimmick. It was very obviously a take on the Goldust gimmick, and the Goldust gimmick probably added years to Dustin's career in terms of longevity and relevance. As Stardust he got a decent run, regular TV time, a featured story with Goldust that had a clear get-out clause for him to revert back to being Cody Rhodes when the time was right (though, admittedly, that feud never satisfactorily finished). Bearing in mind he was maybe 30 years old when he left WWE, there's no reason they needed to be in any kind of a hurry to push him further up the card - that could have easily been coming a few years down the line, and there probably wasn't any reason for them not to have seen him as a lifer that they could spend their time investing in before giving him a big push.

Every previous gimmick he worked gave him regular TV time too, and almost always involved him having an active storyline in play - more than can be said for half the WWE roster today.

As @The Cutting Edge just said, during his time there he mixed it up with some pretty big names and in featured positions. That's not someone they're trying to hold back or bury, it's someone being given pretty much every opportunity bar the top spot, and constantly being in the mix, and someone who they kept trying to find that extra something for, which suggests they had him in mind as a future prospect. He's become a better worker in a lot of respects since leaving - I don't think anyone could reasonably make the case that he deserved better than he got during the time he was there, though I'm sure if he were to go back now he'd walk right into a Drew McIntyre-like position.

I thought the Goldust gimmick only worked that well for about a year or so when he was a heel. After that, the gimmick lost its edge and even WWE abandoned it for a little while. 

I think saying that Cody is the drizzling shits is harsh. He might not be the most naturally gifted of wrestlers on the roster in terms of work rate but his mic skills are reasonable and he obviously has a lot of enthusiasm for pro wrestling. If it wasn’t for him and his collaboration with the likes of Tony Khan and the Young Bucks, then AEW wouldn’t exist. I really don’t think that Stardust was something that Cody was happy about and I can’t say I’d have blamed him. He walked away from the security of a WWE contract to pursue a career on the indies. And with helping form AEW, there’s now pro wrestling on TNT and some form of competition (there’s a long way to go, I know) against the McMahon led monopoly that quite frankly has made pro wrestling in North America worse for the last twenty years and I, for one, respect him for that. 

3 minutes ago, LCJ said:

I think saying that Cody is the drizzling shits is harsh. He might not be the most naturally gifted of wrestlers on the roster in terms of work rate but his mic skills are reasonable and he obviously has a lot of enthusiasm for pro wrestling. If it wasn’t for him and his collaboration with the likes of Tony Khan and the Young Bucks, then AEW wouldn’t exist. I really don’t think that Stardust was something that Cody was happy about and I can’t say I’d have blamed him. He walked away from the security of a WWE contract to pursue a career on the indies. And with helping form AEW, there’s now pro wrestling on TNT and some form of competition (there’s a long way to go, I know) against the McMahon led monopoly that quite frankly has made pro wrestling in North America worse for the last twenty years and I, for one, respect him for that.

In all honesty, he's possibly better as a backstage executive than he is an actual wrestler, because he's not all that great as a talent. He's certainly not main event-worthy. Not in my opinion anyway.

I give him props for walking away from WWE, but that doesn't really change my opinion of him as an on-screen in-ring talent. He's mid-level at best. 

If AEW ever does challenge WWE, and I'm not saying that happens, it won't be because of anything Cody Rhodes does in a wrestling ring. He's not the star that the company would need to make a dent in the ol' Vince machine.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, LCJ said:

I thought the Goldust gimmick only worked that well for about a year or so when he was a heel. After that, the gimmick lost its edge and even WWE abandoned it for a little while

They cut goldust off at the knees with intent. It was getting press and they had to deal with it in a weaker position than they would be when they got bad press in 98 or 99, so they intentionally killed the gimmick off. 

I only ever watched 1 AEW match, I was quite keen to hopefully get the spark for wrestling back and was quite excited to catch Dynamite but the first TV match, Cody vs someone, killed me. It's not him so much because it was a solid enough mid card match, but it was sold to me on Cody being an apex and the crowd were annoying and it didn't live up to it. He looked out of place in an ill-fitting weightlifting belt and the other chap was a bit ropey too. 

I keep meaning to try and dip in again, because I'm sure there's something there to enjoy, so can anyone recommend good places and match to start and where I can catch them? I'm not big on too much of the acrobatic stuff. 

15 minutes ago, David said:

If AEW ever does challenge WWE, and I'm not saying that happens, it won't be because of anything Cody Rhodes does in a wrestling ring. He's not the star that the company would need to make a dent in the ol' Vince machine.

I agree. Cody definitely wouldn’t be the star but he at least helped pave the way for a rival group in the US where wrestlers can make big money again.

• Paid Members

I think Cody Rhodes is decent enough, never picked up any supposed lack of ability in the ring and he seems like a switched on enough guy to me. As others have said, he's a big reason why AEW exists and has already left a legacy on the business far beyond others who will be considered better talkers or workers.

I'm much more annoyed by that godawful neck tattoo than anything he says or does in the ring. I'm still hoping he's going to turn around one day and announce it was a stick-on or something, as it truly is horrendous and my eyes keep gravitating towards it when he's doing a promo.

Edited by garynysmon

4 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I’m much more annoyed by that godawful neck tattoo than anything he says or does in the ring. I'm still hoping he's going to turn around one day and announce it was a stick-on or something, as it truly is horrendous and my eyes keep gravitating towards it when he's doing a promo or something.

Must admit, it’s not a decision I’d have made.