The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Fun battle royal, solid women's match, gentleman's three for Cobb vs Mox, Lucha Bros vs Page/Omega in a barn burner (easy ****1/4) & an exciting main event with a spectacular finish. Plus a hot crowd! Hype videos! Darby! 

I'm struggling to think of anything bad that really stood out. The Dark Order weren't as annoying as usual? Brandi Rhodes gets her own toy despite being the worst woman wrestler on the roster? Teasing a CIMA heel turn? Jim Ross was a bit crap at times? No PAC video? There's not a lot to really moan about.

So it's ANOTHER quality show from T-Dog's crew. If they keep us this consistency throughout the year I will be very, very, very surprised. All the best wrestling TV periods have short shelf lives. If they can keep it up until Autumn, thus allowing me to drop the show for the G1, then I'll be a happy man.

“The last place you want to be in a Battle Royale is fighting on the outside”- Why? If you’re outside you can’t be eliminated. If anything, being outside is the best place to be. They didn’t acknowledge Raven sitting behind the Dark Order which makes me think they are going to go with him as the exalted one

Better match between Cobb and Moxley than what they had in last years G1. Not blow away brilliant, but it was fine. Jericho and Guevara with their tickets though, why? You work there! Fucking hell  Guevara already been out there. Wish they could find a way for Darby to launch himself into the ring when he comes down on the skateboard

The cage match had been built up really well and this was my first time seeing Wardlow wrestle, and I imagine it’s the same for a lot of people. Thought he did really well

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

“The last place you want to be in a Battle Royale is fighting on the outside”- Why? If you’re outside you can’t be eliminated. If anything, being outside is the best place to be.

Yeah, that was a weird little moment. JR said that, and Schiavone quickly echoed it with an "I agree-"... then there's an awkward pause, I think because Tony realised this exact point.

Some sloppiness aside a really fun battle royal. Butcher looks the business imo and fuck me Sammy G took a mean superkick.

Woman's match was ok but they need to bin JR from women's matches and have Taz out there. Never thought that I would be posting that in 2020.

Mox Vs. Cobb was decent and I enjoyed the post match shenanigans. Darby is great.

Rose Vs. Statlander and/or Swole doesn't interest much so hopefully that's not the PPV match.

Loved the tag title match and they totally had me with the Omega/Page miscommunication. I'm hoping that Omega sides with Page and fucks the Bucks off at Revolution.

Cage match was great.

Some hiccups aside AEW perfectly fills the void for me.

8 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Remember in 88 when George Steele refused to get in the ring during the Battle Royal and they just forgot about him. What was that about?

Was it not he got injured making his entrance and they improvised the rest? Possibly a false memory but I think that's what I read. 

10 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm struggling to think of anything bad that really stood out. The Dark Order weren't as annoying as usual? Brandi Rhodes gets her own toy despite being the worst woman wrestler on the roster? Teasing a CIMA heel turn? Jim Ross was a bit crap at times? No PAC video? There's not a lot to really moan about.

It’s Statlander for me. If your lead announcer has to ask around the announce table to establish what the hell your gimmick is about, something has gone wrong.

Having said that, pretty much everything else on this show was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Darby looked like an absolute megastar, and his return felt genuinely exciting.

Unlike WWE, AEW has an abundance of strong, or potentially strong babyface characters right now. You of course have Cody, and the there’s Darby, Moxley, Dustin Rhodes, Luchasaurus, Hangman Page...the top of the card feels really exciting and fresh. 

What a solid show. As much as it gets a bit moves moves moves at times, I think there were so many moments that elevated everything.

Private Party's assisted catskinning and cheeky smiles.

I fucking love whoever-it-is-in-PNP's tiger style.

Cassidy beaming in out of nowhere to save Trent, and then the ambush by the Bunny.

The ongoing stuff with Page. Even when he holds things together, he ends up dwelling on the mistakes he made. Side note though: fuck the Bucks. They came off as insufferable smothering pricks here, scooting in at the end and dragging a knackered Kenny away from Page in the post match.

And turn Penta heel already. Christ.

I admit, streaming this with the time on screen, I beamed inside when I saw the main had only 15 minutes. No marathon main that risked exposing rookie Wardlow here. Cody sold like an absolute madman, and made Wardlow look a complete monster. Just chucking Cody all over the shop. Love the sly dig of the name F10. The obviousness of the blade was overshoe by the change of pace for stock spots - I'm so accustomed to seeing the cheese grater spot done so deliberately that it was exciting watching Wardlow just haul Cody all over the steel mesh. They made no attempt to hide that Wardlow was green and actually played into it by having him clearly look to MJF for guidance.

And of course, the steel door spot.

It's two months of killer angles for Cody vs MJF, not including the yearlong turn. The booking of this and Drew since the Rumble are night and day.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

And turn Penta heel already. Christ.

Definitely. Feels like there's not much for the Lucha Bros to do in the crowded tag scene but the singles scene is pretty light. Cool heel Penta and plucky babyface Fenix is the way things are meant to be.