The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

We'll know it's that if Hangman Page turns on Kenny Omega while Kenny's in the middle of unboxing an anime Lootcrate.

Becky did reference Asuka making soup recently but none of you old bastards would have got it because the commentary didn't explain it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

WWE have already done similar using Twitter, Clout, the Network, etc., so the idea of the fully-integrated consumer platform for a wrestling show isn't really a new idea. It may be, gentlemen, that it is time for us to truly accept that, if we're complaining about this, we are truly old.

If ever there was an undeniable fact I wish I didn't have to acknowledge, this is basically it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Something that has stood out to me in the BTE debate as to where it fits in with the storylines is that perhaps AEW are trying to get ahead of, or at least stay in line with, the curve of modern digital cultures and their viewing habits. We live in the era of the YouTuber - we've already seen people who've become stars online being welcomed into the traditional media world, establishing not only them further, but also further legitimising online media consumption as simply the latest evolution in delivery of cultural texts. 

Worth remembering as well that this is where AEW started. BTE has been generally popular, and has certainly helped to establish and build a fanbase for The Bucks, Omega and even helped Cody over time. All Out was also built up mainly through BTE, and it was a big part of the early PPVs. 

However, they couldn't translate it - the early in-jokes (Kenny's cheesy thumbs-up, the Michael Nakazawa stuff, the Librarians) didn't work because trying to balance ongoing in-jokes based around repetition and a new audience was always going to be tough. Also their attempts were crap. But it was clearly meant to be part of it at the start, but fell on its arse, so they pulled back and figured out a new approach.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

But it was clearly meant to be part of it at the start, but fell on its arse, so they pulled back and figured out a new approach.

As @Supremo keeps pointing out, this is the best part of AEW so far. They've learned quickly what is and isn't working and have tweaked stuff, changed stuff and outright binned stuff. They've been very quick to react to some of their worst traits. Some of their solutions are working very well too like that absolutely brilliant dickhead Britt Baker and Hungover Hangman.

(Before someone gets pissy, yes WWE do this too hence the Rollins heel turn)

36 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

(Before someone gets pissy, yes WWE do this too hence the Rollins heel turn)

Very very very very very rarely though. And they're stupid enough to shove themselves out there in front of everyone and tell their audience that they're listening and they'll do whatever they can etc etc, Looking back, that was absolutely ridiculous.

I've always felt that the main advantage of wrestling being pre-determined is that ability to adapt on the fly and genuinely listen to an audience. Something other shows can't do because of things planned out in advance and filmed etc.

It's a fine line because you obviously don't want to bend over backwards and become fanwank material where the audience is living their best fanfic life on screen, so it needs to be managed to a sensible level, but WWE are far too stubborn sometimes.

• Paid Members

Whilst the obvious direction was a Hangman heel turn, he's gotten so popular in the beer swilling role that turning Omega instead isn't the worst idea in the world. It'd help give Kenny a hard reset and hopefully play to his strengths. I think everyone can agree the best thing Kenny's done in AEW thus far was that promo he cut on Moxley when the injury was announced, where he came off as a total heel. I'd rather see more of that Kenny Omega than the weird babyface that loses half the time and constantly lets his mates get attacked and doesn't do anything about it for weeks and weeks.

WWE have gotten better somewhat at adapting to certain things but it’s still night and day. Just compare how AEW’s course corrected with Britt Baker to WWE’s doubling down on the disastrous Lacey Evans push. 

Hopefully the Good in Japan Kenny Omega shows up this week for the iron man match. I thought his selling of the leg last week was phenomenal and it feels like he’s finally gaining traction heading into the PPV. But yeah, if there’s money in Kenny Omega at all, it’s as the weirdo smug prick heel from that Moxley interview.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I'm really into Omega/Page as a team so I'm hoping that only The Bucks turn heel.

Imo there's more milage in a bitter Bucks with a chip on their shoulders because they continually fail to win the belts.

On the other hand though is it really the right time to turn any of The Elite heel? I'm so conflicted.

On Raven being in the crowd, after all the years of him leading weird cult like factions I'd love to see him reduced to the role of washed up flunky trying to be cool again by hanging out with the new guys.

I'm probably in the minority (and I think Raven hated it himself) but I loved his spoiled rich kid gimmick in WCW. Him and Kanyon were a riot.

41 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'm probably in the minority (and I think Raven hated it himself) but I loved his spoiled rich kid gimmick in WCW. Him and Kanyon were a riot.

I loved it, campy Kanyon was brilliant around that time and I've never understood why people like Cena and Bruce Prichard seemed to think he was shit. I was that one weird kid who still loved him in his WWE run.

Back to AEW, it's weird timing with Nyla winning because it's ended up having no time to build towards a PPV title match, shouldn't she have beat Riho then instead? Or is Riho working back in Japan so they got the title off her earlier?

What japanned to all the hard lasses you used to get in joshi? The Chigusas/Lionesses/Hotta’s etc.

Is it down to the brutal AJW style dojos being a thing of the past (I’m guessing)? Or is it simply not big enough to attract that range of athletes anymore?

With the exception of Asuka they’re all a bit fluff these days.