The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

In fairness, they're brand new. They've done a great job and this was note note perfect for a go home show but they do have the advantage of almost everything being fresh. Whether it's a fresh match, a new feud or just something like OC's first singles match that they have up their sleeve. 

They've done a brilliant job of making Dustin vs. Jack Swagger feel important and turned the Page stuff into a genuinely intriguing tag title match which they deserve credit for. Be interesting to see if they're still doing that in a year or so when they've burned through a lot of matches.

Oh absolutely, and one of my main concerns has always been how they manage to continue the momentum over a longer period of time. In fairness to them, they've managed to adapt and improve over time already which is a great sign to me. Hopefully they find what works and stick to it, without rehashing and overdoing everything.

They're definitely benefiting from less TV time to fill anyway.

Other than the Women's title match everything on Revolution feels must see. Can't remember the last time I felt that from a PPV, not just a WWE PPV but a pro wrestling PPV full stop.

Does anyone actually think that The Bucks are the faces? Hope Omega V-Triggers the smug pricks out of their boots.

Women's match was fine but felt like something that I would have booked in TEW. Looks like Shida is going against Rose after she crushes Statlander.

Omega/Pac was superb.

Butcher and Blade desperately need some wins.

20 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Surprised that they just dropped in that Lance Archer had signed rather than having him do something at the PPV, but I suppose it depends what they’ve got planned for him.

They can’t just have everyone show up by surprise, it’ll get old if every main event finishes with a surprise signing. They’ve already done that with Moxley and Hager.

There is more mileage in slowly building him, talking about how he reached his potential later in life after he had been written off as a nobody with a broken back. It is a genuine feel good story and he could be built as a legitimate contender against Jericho for the next PPV 

22 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

They can’t just have everyone show up by surprise, it’ll get old if every main event finishes with a surprise signing. They’ve already done that with Moxley and Hager.

There is more mileage in slowly building him, talking about how he reached his potential later in life after he had been written off as a nobody with a broken back. It is a genuine feel good story and he could be built as a legitimate contender against Jericho for the next PPV 

Yeah I definitely agree with this. Surprise pops are great, but quite often that's the biggest reaction they ever get and then it dies out because there's no consistent effort to get that person over. There's absolutely no harm in building someone up as a signing and then debuting them.

I agree, there’s nothing wrong with building him slowly, it was more a mixture of coming to expect the suprise debut on the PPV and like I said before, the way they just dropped it inthat he’d signed. Not a tease of a signing announcement, not ‘breaking news’, just “oh by the way, Lance Archers signed but we’ll talk about that another time”.

I realise I’m probably in the minority thinking that, but I just can’t help but think they could’ve done something, even if it was just having Tony announce it to the crowd and have a graphic on the big screen

If they had teased a big announcement, there would have been disappointment from people who aren’t aware of his success in Japan. That is the biggest criticism they get on here, they assume fans are already fully informed. If they give him some solid videos to introduce him followed by a few convincing squashes, aren’t they doing exactly what everyone keeps asking of them? 
It could have been done differently, but I think announcing his signing before the main event was a good move.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Does anyone actually think that The Bucks are the faces?

I still think they are in their minds. That post the other day about how they are actually the heels was very interesting and I find them dickish but the writing still all feels like Page is the heel. Everything about Kenny and the Bucks' reactions in that sit down was designed to make Page look unreasonable. 

I'll be really pleasantly surprised if they turn. Firstly if it means Omega and Page win and they snap and also because they are knobheads who I'd enjoy booing. 

• Paid Members

Another great show. AEW has turned into everything I hoped it would be. I actually like wrestling again because of it.

I'm genuinely excited for every match at Revolution (except the womens). Really great build for everything and I think it's going to be an amazing show.

I actually love that Sammy loses all the time. Makes him being such a cocky little arsehole even funnier. His personality is strong enough to handle the losses.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I still think they are in their minds. That post the other day about how they are actually the heels was very interesting and I find them dickish but the writing still all feels like Page is the heel. Everything about Kenny and the Bucks' reactions in that sit down was designed to make Page look unreasonable. 

The Bucks acted reasonable at the start of the interview, but the content was just turned enough toward them berating Page as being unworthy, ungrateful, and unprofessional. Taken on its own, you could take it at face value, but this was the go-home after months of Page struggling with his own insecurities while being gaslit. Omega has done well playing the friend caught in the middle; he wants/needs to help his tag partner and friend, but cant bring himself to side against his longterm friends the Bucks. After this, the Bucks surely must turn heel, or at least Kenny has to stand against them and help Page.

Orange mother fucking Cassidy. "Please don't try!" Magnificent. Bunny's tongue stud makes her ten times hotter. Cassidy's bunny ears make him twelve times hotter. The Butcher is great. Blade is just boring.

AEW has absolutely nailed the 20 minute angle. Just let the characters do their thing. Loads of shots of Mox being adored by the fans. The MMA camp shite of the Painmaker Posse conga, and Jericho milking the weigh-in for all its worth. Great fun cheap heat, clearly to wind up the challenger, and then BAM. What a headbutt and closer.

Another great show, aside from the uninteresting women’s match. I wish they’d do something to build up the characters of at least some of these wrestlers.

Keeping up the Sammy chat, although he gets a good amount of praise on here I still feel like he’s one of the more overlooked success stories of AEW’s short history. If he’s ringside for a match, you’d be just as entertained watching his antics alone as you would the in ring action. I’m looking forward to his match at Revolution as much as I am any other on the card, he’s brilliant.

• Paid Members

AEW have a podcast out now. Seems to be Big Tone and Aubrey interviewing AEW wrestlers. Moxley and Cody episodes so far.

I'm halfway through the Moxley episode and really enjoying it, but I say that as somebody who doesnt listen to any other wrestling podcasts so can't compare quality/content etc.