The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Watched Dynamite, typed some notes below and then realised I watched last week's episode rather than this week 🤷🏻 Don't care, posting anyway

-The Butcher looks fucking boss. Loved his staredown with Luchasaurus

-That superkick from Matt Jackson to Sammy Guevara was awesome! I really like Guevara. He's the closest thing in wrestling that has a YouTuber look and feel about him.

-Mox looks the business, and his music is so much better than the absolute shite he was given in WWE.

-Cobb looks much better these days now he's grown his hair out, always looked odd trying to be a beast with his short hair. This was the best I've seen him outside of his Matanza gimmick- very good match. Still really should change his name though. Jeff fucking Cobb, honestly.

-I really liked the three man announce team of JR, Schiavone and Taz. Thought they blended really well together. Decent analysis. Chuckled a JR's 'if that is his real name' what Justin Roberts announced the ref. Proper Mark Lawrenson miserable delivery there.

-Page/Omega VS Lucha Bros. What a match! Omega looked better than I've seen outside of the odd NJPW match and Page has something about him. Lucha Bros were awesome. Pentagon is definitely turning heel and he's going to blame the fans for wanting him to do that hand gesture all the time, leading to distractions. If Fenix doesn't become the new Rey Mysterio then something has gone drastically wrong. I remember a few years ago saying it would be either him or Kalisto, putting my money on Kalisto because he could speak English. Turns out he can't really speak full stop going by his shit promos and Fenix is much better at drawing sympathy, which was Rey Rey's greatest ability.

-Really enjoyed the cage match too, just continuous excitement and a brilliant finish. Cody is a super babyface and the babyface he looked like he could become when he turned on Damien Sandow all those years ago.

This is a brilliant wrestling show, they have a regular viewer in me now. A super hot crowd adds loads but they just get so much right, but the thing is it's the simple things they get right- like NXT always has. Great build-ups, great video promos and matches that feel like they matter. The women's division is shite, which is weird considering there has never been so much talent in the world of women's wrestling as there is right now, so they need to fix that. I like Nyla Rose though.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, PunkStep said:

-Mox looks the business, and his music is so much better than the absolute shite he was given in WWE.

I loved it when he first came in and they synced the drumming in his theme to the video of him punching through the wall of his cell. I completed the package for me and while I think he looks good coming through the crowd, I hope they go back to the old entranc at some point.

Also got to agree with your views on The Butcher. I'd have him(or them if they are sticking with the tag team) just brutalising jobbers, Steiner style for a while. He's one of the most beleivable hard bastards they have. Have him go through loads of smaller, expendable people until he thinks he's indestructable, then have someone like Luke Harper turn up to teach him a lesson!

P.S. Sorry for the shitty fantasy booking, it's not something I would normally do!

Edited by Cod Eye

What do you do with Statlander now? Do you strip away the alien gimmick or do you go all the way with it? It just feels so half arsed currently, I'd love to see reasonably high budget videos in the vein of the Broken Hardy stuff, although I'm not sure they have anyone working for them that'd be good at that kinda thing. They need to so something more with her, and not just because I have a huge crush on her.. she's one of the few women I've seen on the show with lots of potential.

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

What do you do with Statlander now? Do you strip away the alien gimmick or do you go all the way with it? It just feels so half arsed currently, I'd love to see reasonably high budget videos in the vein of the Broken Hardy stuff, although I'm not sure they have anyone working for them that'd be good at that kinda thing. They need to so something more with her, and not just because I have a huge crush on her.. she's one of the few women I've seen on the show with lots of potential.

I think you have to repackage her completely. I’ve no idea why anyone would think that gimmick would take them to the top.

Having said that, AEW needs to work out which wrestlers are worth focusing on, then define who they are. Shida seems solid, but what drives her? Is she a face or heel? Same goes for Big Swole and Shanna. Outside of Nyla Rose and Britt Baker, they’ve done a terrible job of establishing any female wrestler.