The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Hangman Page is my favourite thing in the world right now. I genuinely celebrated (without leaving the sofa) when he hit that lariat.

The real question is would you be willing to give him one of your pints if you’d paid arena prices? It’s all I can think about every time the fans hand him one. At arena gigs, I get annoyed when someone nudges me and I spill a single drop! There’s no way Page would be getting a freebie!

Sammy G and Darby Allin are the absolute antithesis of how WWE book young talent and it FUCKING RULES.

Edited by Supremo

18 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The real question is would you be willing to give him one of your pints, if you’d paid arena prices? It’s all I can think about every time the fans hand him one. At arena gigs, I get annoyed when someone nudges me and I spill a single drop! There’s no way Page would be getting a freebie!

Sammy G and Darby Allin are the absolute antithesis of how WWE book young talent and it FUCKING RULES.

100%, I'm not giving up my beer for anyone. Gets them on TV for a half second though.

Darby Allin is one of AEW's biggest success stories so far. Had no idea who he was when he signed, and the mad bastard is one of my favourites now. Sammy's come a long way as well. It really helps these young guys that they've got someone like Jericho around, who's really got a mind for the business and putting people over.

Having been watching the monthly WWF edits on Youtube from the beginning, this Jake appearance really put a smile on my face. I've really been enjoying a lot of his work that I never saw before, and so having him on Dynamite was a pleasant surprise and a reminder of what a master of his craft he is.

Another solid episode, although I fear I'm starting to get slightly fed up of people singing Jericho's music but hopefully that'll pass. I didn't want it turning into one of those 'crowds trying to get themselves over' moments.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Another solid episode, although I fear I'm starting to get slightly fed up of people singing Jericho's music but hopefully that'll pass. I didn't want it turning into one of those 'crowds trying to get themselves over' moments.

I'd argue it's not so bad when you consider that the crowd singing along to Fandango's music didn't hurt his heeldom none.

• Paid Members

I don't understand why people are annoyed by fans singing along to Jericho's music. Wanky chants are one thing (and nothing pleased me more on this show than Moxley fully ignoring the, "You Deserve It," shit), but just singing along and having a great time? You've got to be a bad Jim Cornette to derive anger from that.

The Fandango comparison is perfect. I always think back to that post-Mania episode of Raw as the last time WWE and its fanbase had a healthy relationship with each other. By the following year they'd done the Daniel Bryan thing and ever since there's been this horrible, unhealthy, antagonistic thread running through almost all of WWE's programming. The company are constantly positioning themselves as the heels and either ignoring or purposely trying to troll their paying audience, whilst the fans themselves are obsessed with, "hijacking," and dictating the direction. Long gone are the days of something organically getting over like that, with fans out of their seats singing and dancing. Nowadays it's just about when people are supposedly cancelling the Network and never ever watching again, honest.

Now more than ever I can't knock fans for having a good time, nor can I knock a company for trying to give people what they want. It's a genuine thrill just to see a fun, happy atmosphere at a modern mainstream pro-wrestling show again. Every time they cut his music and the fans keep singing it just looks like a great party that you want to be a part of. Who cares if Jericho's a heel? People can still have fun singing along and then boo him when he acts like a prick in the match. Plus, hes so fucking good that it's only a matter of time before he turns babyface anyway. This company's only been in existence a year and yet I already have more faith in them than I do Vince that they'll listen to their audience and turn him in good time. If this was WWE they'd probably change his music to put a stop to it, Nakamura style.

So yeah, cheer up you miserable bastards.

Edited by Supremo

It’s the most popular that Fozzy have ever been that’s for sure.

Another really good episode this week, I genuinely look forward to watching Dynamite most weeks, whereas I’m not fussed if it takes me a few days to get round to watching NXT. They’ve been really good since coming back after that Christmas break, with very little on the show that you would call a miss.

They can’t turn Adam Page, he’s so over as a face right now. The only thing I wanted from him after he stuck the finger in Matt Jackson’s face was to follow up with a slap. I could watch him smack Matt Jackson in the face until the end of time

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I'd argue it's not so bad when you consider that the crowd singing along to Fandango's music didn't hurt his heeldom none.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

So yeah, cheer up you miserable bastards.

If it's the biggest gripe I have about AEW at the moment (and it's only a very minor one right now) then they're doing a pretty good job. I hope it can stay as a 'fun' thing rather than lean into audience takeover territory as you say.

I dont really watch much AEW, maybe as background noise when it's on but WOW Jake the Snake is still brilliant. I checked out the video on youtube and he still has that aura about him. Plus his voice seems alot better. I think doing his Unspoken word tour the past 3 years has given him alot of practice. He is a massive guy, back in the day everyone was huge so you just didnt notice it much. AEW know how to utilize legends and have them part of the show. There are no full time legends in WWE at all

Enjoyable show. I like how the storylines build and how themes run through each episode. Nice surprise to see Jake Roberts show up. Would prefer The Lucha Bros to be single wrestlers but a short term alliance with Pac should be fun.

Doesn't seem to hurt Jericho one little bit not having the title. Another strong episode, amazing start to the year for AEW. 

• Paid Members

This felt like a must-see episode after coming off the back of Revolution and it didn't disappoint. On paper the card looked pretty average but it was everything between that kept it ticking.

Jake The Snake showing up was a great surprise and it looks like he's going to be managing Luke Harper if all the conspiracies about the "Caesar" bit are true. His "Never turn your back on someone you respect or are afraid of" line was brilliant.

Agreed above that Jericho proved he doesn't need the title for The Inner Circle to remain a big deal and the main event with them taking out Mox was ace. Darby fighting a handicap match and tagging himself in for a hot tag was something I've never seen before.

Little side bits like the continuation of the Hangman/Bucks drama, QT and Dustin, Death Triangle, etc all filled the show nicely. 

One negative thing going is the Women's division is still completely skippable. They have some really unique talent there but they get about 5 minutes a show. When you're the least interesting part of an already stacked roster, you need either more time to develop interest with storylines and angles, or not be there at all. Sending the likes of Leva Bates out there for a 2 minute squash when your women's champion and the likes of Hikaru Shida, Awesome Kong, Statlander and others are sat in the back doing nothing is a huge mistake.