The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

There's no way they can turn Page now. The way things are going, if they play their cards right he's on course to becoming their first real, home-grown superstar.

I think of him as the embodiment of the lessons they learnt and the change in direction they made at the start of the year. They were trying to be too cute, too clever and too nuanced, but then reality dictated that they stop all the wanky bullshit and just get on with the tried and tested basics. Same thing Hangman. I've absolutely no doubt that when this angle started the idea was for him to turn on Omega. They tried to be all post-modern and subtle and they accidentally just created a modern Stone Cold Steve Austin. Sometimes, it doesn't matter how smart you think you are. The fans are just going to cheer a hard-case ass-kicker who drinks beer and gives people the middle finger. The flashes of heeldom Matt Jackson displayed at the PPV suggests they've cottoned on to this, I've just got absolutely no idea where they go next.

Logic suggests The Elite are turning on Hangman in the cage, I just can't figure out who or how. Surely Cody isn't turning? They'd be crazy to do that. I'm not convinced Omega should, either. Given the response that tag match got at the PPV my guess would be that the Bucks are the only ones who'll turn, resulting in a rematch that they can sell as a re-run of the, "greatest tag match of all time." That was certainly the vibe I was getting when they were all doing their teases at the end of the match - the money is in Omega realising that the Young Bucks are snide pricks and siding with Page instead. Beers all round.

Plus, let's never forget how suited the Young Bucks are to being heels. Remember their press conference after Cody got his head smashed in by a chair? Absolutely detestable dickheads.

Interestingly enough, has The Elite as the five-piece announced for Blood and Guts ever actually been featured as a unit on Dynamite? I don't think they have.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

They do only have 2 weeks to build to it though. Very difficult for any company to build a blood feud between 2 teams in that short space of time worthy of a War Games style match. I wish they'd given themselves more time to have a genuine feud between the two groups. It could've been something really special but I feel on this occasion it's a bit random.

The Elite and Inner Circle already have history, they aren’t going into this cold. Jericho and Cody will have unresolved issues plus he caused Page and Omega to fall off the deep end. That has had the knock on effect damaging the whole Elite. Young Bucks have rowed plenty with Proud and Powerful too. One of the Bucks took Sammy’s head off the other week with that nasty superkick. Hager broke the arm of Cody’s brother. 
Two weeks is plenty to get all that boiled up again.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

You just hate it because Tony Khan isn't your real dad and can't tell you what to do.

Fuck, you’re bang on. Now you’ve said it, I realise I was moaning about it not because having a gimmick match on the calendar is some terrible thing in and of itself, but just out of compulsion to cry about everything Tony Khan does. In retrospect, it’s fucking pathetic to cry about a gimmick match being done just because it’s on the calendar rather than story-driven. I just lose all sense of perspective and sense when overcome by my rage at Tony Khan, who isn’t my real dad and shouldn’t dictate anything to me. What a learning moment.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The Elite and Inner Circle already have history, they aren’t going into this cold. Jericho and Cody will have unresolved issues plus he caused Page and Omega to fall off the deep end. That has had the knock on effect damaging the whole Elite. Young Bucks have rowed plenty with Proud and Powerful too. One of the Bucks took Sammy’s head off the other week with that nasty superkick. Hager broke the arm of Cody’s brother. 
Two weeks is plenty to get all that boiled up again.

Didn't Cody go as far as to reference this eventual match during a promo he cut on Jericho? I think he called it something like, "The Match Beyond," because they likely hadn't decided on its proper name.

• Paid Members

In all seriousness, it would've made more sense to do this match around the time of Full Gear when Cody was feuding with Jericho and Santana & Ortiz were feuding with Young Bucks. Dustin, Darby Allin and Moxley have all been taken out, injured by and feuded with Inner Circle lately so those three seem like a more obvious fit than the five Elite lads.

• Paid Members

Interesting editing of last night's hour long hour AEW airing on ITV1. It featured a (long) Moxley/Jericho promo, backstage piece with MJF, video package for Nayla Rose and the handicap main event in its entirety. 

Kind of think that given that the ITV1 audience is going to be casual as fuck (even at 11.45pm) they need to highlight more wrestling and less talking. 

• Paid Members

The problem with "blood and guts" (which is a terrible name, by the by) is that it feels both too soon and too late. The people saying that they've laid the groundwork for this are absolutely right, but then they've moved on, the Bucks have moved on from P&P, Cody has moved on from Jericho, etc and crucially they haven't moved back to it yet, so it just feels jarring. The current Jericho storyline would've been a good one to do something with, him and the inner circle just killing everyone with aggression and numbers, and so the Elite have to put aside their differences and personal stuff to do something about it. Which I think is kind of what they're doing, but it's not kind of working out The Elite could and should be like the Avengers, only coming all together when necessary, but instead they feel like the Justice League, who are doing it cos they've got a movie to do.

Instead, all the really interesting stories that they've got are having to take a backseat, although I'm sure we'll get something from the hangman story on the show. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just a 10 man that then escalated to war games, but it feels weird that they're coming out the gate with it. 

Yes it would have been better with a build, but given where it is, might be one of few places they can set it up. If they had built to it it would have clouded the PPV build that they got pretty spot on. It needed notice to say it’s happening, hopefully tonight they give something as a good hook to tune in next week and increase the live sales. Willing to reserve my judgment until it happens than write it off now