The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

There's no way it'll happen, but I've now got an awesome scenario in my head where the Dark Order finally reveals their Exalted One, and it's Mil Muertes. Not Mesias or Ricky Banderas, just outright Mil Muertes himself.

I want this. I didn't know it until now but I want this.

For me, it's about finding ways to either bin off or retrofit a failed gimmick. The DO have been booked as heels, but aren't intimidating in the slightest and have had inconsistent development since Dynamite started. They're rapidly heading the way of go-away heat, so it's about how you salvage the talent involved without pretending it never happened. Best I can fantasy-book right now is Exalted Matt appearing, taking over the disciples and getting rid of Uno and Grayson (to maybe be repackaged as Smash Bros in six months), or Catrina on my screen for 2 hours a week. Hardy on a palanquin made of Skarsgard being carried by masked goons, or Latina lick-of-death gifs.

47 minutes ago, Louch said:

I must be missing something, the dark order haven’t been “spooky” to me, and are heels. Broken Matt is a baby face character, why do people keep suggesting him? Especially as Khan has described them as a corporation not a cult group, don’t see the link to Matt leading them at all 

I think Matt wants creative freedom, not to just milk what he did in TNA a few years ago. If he has been sat at home bored for a while, I reckon he will have a bunch of ideas that none of us can predict. I do think he is the best person to turn Dark Order into a money making machine though 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Matt's recent videos with the Bucks don't seem to fit in with The Dark Order at all, but that could be the point?

The one I watched earlier had the Young Bucks bury him in a coffin so he could be reborn without the weird spirit thing in him. That screams setting up something new

• Awards Moderator

Things that have annoyed me about AEW that they seem to have stopped doing:

- Heels selling for Marko Stunt. Nobody really did this week, and he only got that DDT on The Butcher because JBJP helped him (I say this every week as well, but Perry is a massive star).

- Pentagon doing his hand thing. Didn’t spot it at all this episode!

Things that they continue to do:

- Episode ends with Inner Circle standing over fallen babyfaces. Again. Beginning to wonder if it’s a requirement of their TV deal at this point. Although I loved the camerawork moving out from Jackson flipping off Page to reveal Jericho and his chair as if out of nowhere.

I think I saw Penta throw Cero Miedo once, toward the crowd opposite the hardcam, maybe as he set up his package piledriver. Agreed that Death Triangle should be flattening scrubs like Janela in seconds. Way too much dead air getting into position - JR, it's not "improvisational offence" if it takes them 5 minutes to clamber into position. Nothing really clicked or flowed, even the post match submission, which would've been cool if they hadn't been falling all over the place.

Luchasaurus needs to watch XPac-tagteam-era Kane. The JE vs mixed heels tag felt really clunky, only really coming alive when Jungle Boy and Marko cut loose. Luchasaurus isn't engaging enough for selling, and I'm sure this is the third time I've seen him and the Butcher do exactly the same square-off spot.

Not sure how I feel about "controlled" Lance Hoyt, who only really took off as the unpredictable wild man in NJPW. Sure, you've got Moxley there already doing the madlad thing, but I'll need to see more energy before I'm on board with Hoyt and Roberts.

The main event was great. Excellent little team in Page and Dust. Post match was fine. I love the group flip off visual. Conversely, I hated Matt Jackson's slow deliberate flip off of Page - lacked the naturalism of Pages last week, and felt odd having Page sit there without swinging for him. Some excellent camerawork though, in the pull back to Jericho's chairshot, and the track from Kenny in pieces in the ring, to Cody dead on the ramp, to Matt and Nick on the stage. As a single angle for a gimmick match, it was really good.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Philjax said:

So where is Dynamite taking place from this week? Is this the one that got moved from Rochester to Daily's Place?

No, that's next week. This week was advertised around the match to earn the advantage in Wargames.

• Paid Members

Looks like Dynamite is going empty arena for the foreseeable future too.

Edited by DEF

Hardy compound would probably need more people to set up, unless they just go gorilla style which I don’t see being Khans thing at all 

One of the main reasons AEW feels so much better and fresher than WWE is the hot crowds so it does concern me that they’re going to lose a lot with having to put shows on behind closed doors as such. Real shame this, let’s hope they up their game with the video packages as that is something they are good at.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Doog said:

One of the main reasons AEW feels so much better and fresher than WWE is the hot crowds so it does concern me that they’re going to lose a lot with having to put shows on behind closed doors as such. Real shame this, let’s hope they up their game with the video packages as that is something they are good at.

This is proper trial by fire shit imo. Excelling in these circumstances will be a proper test and I'm hopeful they can be creative enough to do so. But bloody hell this isn't what you want for a start up is it.