The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

6 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Although there's this weird thing on social media where some people have criticised Vince for doing shows yet commended AEW. I honestly don't get that.

Look, mark, it’s like this: You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Vince isn’t our real dad AND he runs a nazi camp. He made Dean Ambrose wear a PG gas mask instead of letting him wear an eye patch and swear. Everything Vince does is bad. He should let his prisoners free so they can go home to their families instead of forcing them to be dancing monkeys at his stalag.

Everything Tony does is good, even if (to a mark) it looks like exactly the same thing that is bad if Vince does it. Vince is doing it for bad reasons, but Tony is doing it for good reasons. He’s been an Observer subscriber for 30 years and does not hold the real workers down. He’s letting the wrestlers perform and bringing entertainment in these trying times. Totally different.

23 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Look, mark, it’s like this: You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Vince isn’t our real dad AND he runs a nazi camp. He made Dean Ambrose wear a PG gas mask instead of letting him wear an eye patch and swear. Everything Vince does is bad. He should let his prisoners free so they can go home to their families instead of forcing them to be dancing monkeys at his stalag.

Everything Tony does is good, even if (to a mark) it looks like exactly the same thing that is bad if Vince does it. Vince is doing it for bad reasons, but Tony is doing it for good reasons. He’s been an Observer subscriber for 30 years and does not hold the real workers down. He’s letting the wrestlers perform and bringing entertainment in these trying times. Totally different.

You're the fucking worst

24 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

You're the fucking worst

I think that’s what he is going for.

I can’t imagine it is many of the same people condemning one and praising the other. The minority that would play both sides like that are just the idiots you find in any subject and Tories. There are some people dumb enough to praise Johnson for the exact things they’ll hate Corbyn for 

I thought it was a great show. Yes, they stuck to the wrestling format mostly, but they kept the energy and interest up with tight camerawork minimising shots of the empty arena and lots of character interaction in and out of matches.

The switch of the hard cam to facing the entrance was a great choice, filling the screen with movement and colour, and reminded me of the lucha TV shows, especially when the Lucha Bros were in the ring. Penta chatting shit to the ringsiders was great.

The mini storylines going on at Ringside was a lovely touch, the face heel split was clear, and it kept the time filled between matches as well as being used to segue really well between segments. It all felt much more natural with personalities reacting to the action, each other, and acknowledging the camera. Interesting that it felt like the recent ex WWE guys were the only ones stuck staring into the middle distance. Lee could've done with staring right down the camera after his (meagre, too meta) intro beatdown.

Lee's tights belong in the bin. The whole Dark Order angle is fucking cursed.

The Colt Sabian interaction was fun, and I can't help feeling Cabana would be worth having on commentary on Dark.

Another stellar Jake promo, his best so far. Archer looked much better too, with a much wilder look in his eyes. The vignette was good low rent fun. Murderhawk is a name that shouldn't work but really does.

I love Page. Great name banner. The quiet toast was cool as fuck. Bad ass but heartfelt. I fucking hate Matt Jackson.

Main was solid craic. God bless Sammy. Not sure they've fully explained the 'advantage' they kept going on about, so I must've missed something. I assume it's the first entrant order, being War Games.

Almost a damp squib ending until the music kicked in. All Delete Wrestling is a pun I can get behind.

Some great match choices for the next show, a real hardcore vibe if they can pull it all together. Really looking forward to it!

• Paid Members

The best thing about AEW is the feuds not all existing in a bubble. 

The Inner Circle are feuding with the Elite. Hager has issues with Dustin. Sammy and Darby Allin are rivals. Moxley still wants at thd whole Inner Circle. Cody is being targeted by Archer. Cody wants to get back at MJF. Page and Matt Jackson are at each other. 

It's far more organic and helps a show like this because there's so much going on at ringside. Their antics outside the ring during matches are fun generally anyway.

I still don't love the empty arena thing but agree with the majority that this was a much better version of it.

36 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The best thing about AEW is the feuds not all existing in a bubble. 

Cody throwing Sammy (I think) into MJF was a great example of that. It is as though everyone remembers what is going on in their lives. The attention to details like that all come together to help the viewer believe in the angles. 
I thought Archer was going to cost Cody the match as a vehicle to push their program and protect the losers. It is refreshing how little they rely on cheap finishes to stop anything from mattering.

One plot hole I did notice was that The Elite were down a man and had to call Matt Hardy for back up, while Dustin was at ringside. Has he already got a match or a reason he can’t be in it? Hopefully Cody says he didn’t want his brother to be involved in such a dangerous match at his age which leads to other things

11 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

One plot hole I did notice was that The Elite were down a man and had to call Matt Hardy for back up, while Dustin was at ringside. Has he already got a match or a reason he can’t be in it?

That’s a really good point that I hadn’t considered. I’d been expecting Page to reveal Hardy, whilst also revealing he was the person he had lined up as his surprise partner last week.

If they do Dustin/Cody again (and they should) I really would like it to be for the World title. It’s been said before but there’s a fantastic story to be told with Dustin going for his first World title. What better way to heighten that emotion than by having his brother as the champ, and perhaps Dustin’s career on the line too?

• Paid Members

Considering the circumstances, AEW's presentation is the best way I can imagine doing an empty arena show every week and it still being watchable. Overall, I thought it was a good show. Brodie Lee's ring gear is beyond awful though. Loved the wrestlers being at ringside, especially MJF and Shawn Spears heckling throughout and drinking wine. When AEW signed Colt Cabana I wasn't particularly enamoured with the idea but he's actually been really good so far. He's playing a natural white meat lowercard likeable good guy having a bit of fun rather than leaning too much into comedy which he's never actually been good at despite being a mostly comedy wrestler. The Lance Archer vignette in the woods was bloody lovely stuff and exactly the type of stuff AEW should rip off from Lucha Underground. I'm hoping they are filming loads of backstage stuff and vignettes to fill the TV time up over the next few weeks.

Edited by LaGoosh

Hardy is on today’s talk is Jericho. Lots of good chat and nice to know information that the Hoyt stuff was filmed at Darby Allins place 

Setting up matches for different 'arenas' like the Parking Lot brawl seems like a great idea given the no-crowd situation. The Blackman-Shamrock parking lot brawl, where they had a bunch of the roster in their civvies banging on the sides of their trucks parked in a circle with the headlights on was a great visual, even if the match wasn't up to much. I can see Fenix having a blast flying off car bonnets. I think AEW have got the smarts to make this worthwhile. It could end up being proper backstage Playstation WWF stuff. Bar fights, training mat scuffles, a tables match on the entrance stage where the tables are lined up on the arena floor like a Pit Fatality waiting to happen. Fantasy booking again. Sorry.

Fite are offering a free trial of AEW Plus....just announced - that should give some people some fun content to watch over the weekend and take minds off the horrible, horrible news.