The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

3 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

How did they manage to put Luke Harper’s Vince McMahon impression on the same show as Cody saying he doesn’t think bitterness should have a place in wrestling? 😂

It's not bitter. It's cool and edgy like everything AEW does. Keep up.

First time ever that AEW has had a TNA stink to it. Brodie Lee is horribly miscast in this role, adding the awful digs at Vince has really turned it into wrestlecrap already for me. Hardy is flogging a dead horse and not even Jericho can save him. 

Jake continues to be amazing, I just wish it had been Brodie as his guy and Archer was doing something different. 

I still prefer this to WWE but this was a real turn off episode. 

• Paid Members

That YouTube video of DAMASCUS reminded me why I always thought the Broken stuff was shit. That segment hammered it home. I'd hit him with a chair and move him very quickly on from this garbage. 

Onega and Sammy was really good. I must be getting used to this empty arena shite.

Overridingly though, like WWE, there's just no need for a show. AEW isn't as painful as Raw and Smackers but its still pretty painful in this environment. The snide remarks and inside stuff doesn't help.

Watchable but definitely a drop in quality from last week.

Brodie Lee picking up Vince's habits could actually have some legs to it imo but I don't think it fits with The Dark Order at all.

Broken Matt will never work in a major promotion outside of mid card goofing about. Stick him in production and occasionally use him to elevate someone.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Broken Matt will never work in a major promotion outside of mid card goofing about. Stick him in production and occasionally use him to elevate someone.

He's a name, a good hand and a confident talker. He has value. God knows why he is so wedded to this shite. Then again, you saw tons of posts and messages from people crying about WWE not doing the Broken stuff and then not doing it right so maybe that gives them validation. They're lucky Raw had that Austin segment and AJ Styles for the last couple of weeks otherwise this would have been the worst segment in empty-arena era wrestling.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Moxley vs Swagger for the World Title

Matt Hardy vs Jericho

‘WCW mistakes’ are slipping in.

Not really. Clearly current circumstances are forcing them to work with what little they have. The reality is that these empty arena stripped back shows are just going to be pretty shite no matter what they do.

15 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Not really. Clearly current circumstances are forcing them to work with what little they have. The reality is that these empty arena stripped back shows are just going to be pretty shite no matter what they do.

Yeah I think we have to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment. In fact, I'd rather they did stuff like this now, and save the decent feuds for when they're back on the road.

It's a shame WWE can't do that really as it's Mania season.

1 hour ago, LWOLeN said:

Moxley vs Swagger for the World Title

Matt Hardy vs Jericho

‘WCW mistakes’ are slipping in.

I think that's a bit of an extreme proclamation after one bad episode in an empty arena setting. 

7 hours ago, DEF said:

Tony is painfully exposed without Excalibur (and I love the guy). But he shouldn't be in that position. 

Under normal circumstances I might agree, but these are far from normal circumstances. I understand the decision to rotate the announcers/keep JR and him underlying health conditions off TV. I don't think they'd have had him in this position if it wasn't for coronavirus. 

57 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The Hardy stuff has a time and a place but this is definitely starting to live up to my original fears of it not really fitting into AEW. I really admire the guy wanting to be creative but yeah, it's a really weird spot for him to slip into.

I suspect the segment would have worked better in front of an audience, but in that empty arena setting it just felt odd. His 'new theme song' line felt like it was pulled from a primary school playground, it was awful and painfully awkward. 

I did enjoy Vanguard 1 spying on Nick Jackson, and Jericho asking him(?) to join The Inner Circle, but that was the peak of the Hardy involvement in that show. 

If Brodie Lee's gimmick ends up being 'real life Vince McMahon' it just isn't going to work. That said, there's something slightly meta about pretending to be an out-of-touch old man, while being part of that terrible vignette. 

Overall it was an absolutely painful show to watch, but AEW has been so strong recently that I can forgive it. They've already shown that they are willing to tweak and dump things that don't work (ie. The Nightmare Collective) and I have faith that they'll do that if Hardy and Brodie Lee continue to stink up the show. 

Edited by RedRooster

Worst episode they have ever done, which is a real shame. Not having the wrestlers at ringside made a big difference and showing them backstage was just distracting in a bad way. The Jake bit was really good, they should have more like that.

Too many matches that meant nothing, which is mad because they need to fill up time. They should get everyone on the roster to send in videos of them doing talking head stuff to build these exhibition matches, keeps the guys at home relevant and would fill time a lot better. AEW are brilliant at hype videos, they must fall back on this soon. 

They should encourage the roster to shoot their own vignettes from home as well. Not everyone’s will be as good as Darby Allin, but just some light hearted stuff of Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy stuck at home or how glad Nick Jackson is to be off the road after his kid has been born.

The actual matches could probably do with backing music like an old video game. Stop it sounding so dead.

• Paid Members

Teleportin’ Matt was so shit. Similar to Moxley’s terrible match with Omega, it did the exact opposite of what they intended. I didn’t come away thinking, “wow, Vince and WWE dropped the ball not letting them do their own stuff.” I came away thinking, “no wonder they had to rein you in, you fucking dork.”