The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Think it is you that needs to get out more by the sounds of it. 

Your not allowed out. 

I really enjoyed AEW, its getting much better in terms of roster and story. Hopefully Lee will get the push to the top, maybe with new ring gear mind

Edited by quote the raven

There wasn't a whole lot that bugged me about Dynamite this week, but the second Matt Hardy sharted out, "Because I am maaaagiiiic!", I turned that shit right off. By far the shittest thing they've put out.

I always feel like there's a disconnect between how Hardy perceives the Broken shit and how it comes across. We're constantly being told how groundbreaking it is/was when a lot of it is just a bit embarrassing, really. It feels like they think they're making Jaws, when they're actually making Sharknado. Or if we're being wanky that Hardy thinks he's Truffaut when he's actually Wiseau.

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members

Apparently Jericho had them do a second take of the segment because he hated the first one so much. Should have gone for third time lucky, but if that’s the case just how bad was the first one? 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

6 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

There wasn't a whole lot that bugged me about Dynamite this week, but the second Matt Hardy sharted out, "Because I am maaaagiiiic!", I turned that shit right off. By far the shittest thing they've put out.

I always feel like there's a disconnect between how Hardy perceives the Broken shit and how it comes across. We're constantly being told how groundbreaking it is/was when a lot of it is just a bit embarrassing, really. It feels like they think they're making Jaws, when they're actually making Sharknado. Or if we're being wanky that Hardy thinks he's Truffaut when he's actually Wiseau.

Its a strange one. Remember the first time they did it in TNA, everyone shat on it. Other wrestlers like Maverick and EC3 made their own pisstake of it in a hotel. And as time went on, people embraced the shittiness of it and had fun with it. So bad it's good. But it seems like the "Vince won't let me do it, he's holding back my creativity" thing has played with people's memories of it and had us thinking unleashed Hardy was going to be good good.

• Paid Members

Just seen AEW on Twitter saying the Matt Hardy teleporting stuff was drone trickery, not magic. Which seems to be them realising how fucking stupid it was and taking steps to explain it. Hopefully they take a few more steps in the right direction and bin the Broken stuff before long.

11 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Apparently Jericho had them do a second take of the segment because he hated the first one so much. Should have gone for third time lucky, but if that’s the case just how bad was the first one? 

I don't think it was that the first take was worse, more to do with the levels of sunlight. Apparently they filmed the segment a lot earlier, and Jericho didn't like that it would air and be light outside (being an outdoor venue). So they pre-taped Darby vs Sabian, and filmed the second take during that time, rushed it through editing, and aired it. 

Doesn't excuse what a shocking moment of shit it was though.

6 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Just seen AEW on Twitter saying the Matt Hardy teleporting stuff was drone trickery, not magic. Which seems to be them realising how fucking stupid it was and taking steps to explain it. Hopefully they take a few more steps in the right direction and bin the Broken stuff before long.

The idea of Vanguard projecting images of Hardy to distract Jericho as the real Hardy waddles down the aisles to get to the ring has made me smile this morning.  

• Paid Members

Put me down as another who’s been conned into thinking all the Broken stuff was good. I wasn’t watching Impact at the time. The only thing I actually saw was the Final Deletion, which I thought was incredible in its creativity and daftness. Mid-card comedy, obviously, but bloody brilliant mid-card comedy.

The warning signs were there. Whenever I caught Matt’s more recent YouTube stuff it seemed to have lost all the fun in favour of over-complicated, e-fed nonsense. And then listening to Matt on Jericho’s podcast you could tell he’d fallen down the rabbit hole of believing his own hype and thinking any old shit was good just because it’s, “creative,” or, “out of the box.” Waffling on about entities and vessels, you could hear the doubt in Jericho’s voice even before he went as far as to essentially admit, “I’ve no idea what you’re going on about, mate.”

I think that bollocks they aired on Wednesday and the subsequent reports of the Impact stuff being a lot worse than people realised exposed how few people were actually watching him regularly at the time. The Final Deletion and the Delete chant getting so over has clearly earned Matt more goodwill than he perhaps deserves.

It’s no wonder Jericho wasn’t happy with the segment. You’ve got one of the greatest minds for what works in the business in Jericho and then a lad in Matt who’s coming up with the type of shit you’d find written in the back of a teenage goth’s exercise book, with absolutely no consideration given to how it’s actually going to work within the accepted reality of pro-wrestling.

I’ll let them off for now since they’ve clearly had to divert from their long-term plans and are just making it up as they go along, and coming up with the drone explanation is quite clever, but man. Not a good start.

I’ve gone from being excited about Matt to quickly realising he’s the Nightmare Collective on steroids. There might be something there but it’s gonna need a patient editor to sift through all the shit. In retrospect, it’s no wonder Vince couldn’t be arsed. If fucking teleporting is the first thing Matt wants to do, suggesting it’s one of his better ideas, can you even imagine the shit he’s probably been pitching to Vince? Get out of my office whilst I eat my steak, you fucking geek.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Never been a fan of the broken stuff tbh.

I can see why Impact allowed him to do it, and was beneficial in that it got people talking about the product during a time when they were desperate for any exposure. But I can't say I enjoyed much of it, outside of the Hardy compound stuff,  as I feel that such gimmicks delve way too far into "this is just embarrassing, phoney shite" territory that you couldn't suspend your disbelief even if you tried. The kind of stuff that your dad would walk in on and laugh at how crap it all is.

Not sure that AEW are in the position that Impact was in 2016 or so though. Plus they are on an actual half decent cable channel that normal people watch. Not convinced that many outside of the hardcore wrestling bubble would appreciate such gimmicks in all honesty.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

The Broken stuff will only really work if it exists in it's own little bubble away from the likes of Jericho at the top of the card. It immediately gets exposed as lame the second it leaves it's daft self-contained world and we're all supposed to pretend it's nothing more than a dumb laugh. It's a comedy gimmick.

Edited by ColinBollocks

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

It’s no wonder Jericho wasn’t happy with the segment. You’ve got one of the greatest minds for what works in the business in Jericho and then a lad in Matt who’s coming up with the type of shit you’d find written in the back of a teenage goth’s exercise book....

.....If fucking teleporting is the first thing Matt wants to do, suggesting it’s one of his better ideas, can you even imagine the shit he’s probably been pitching to Vince? 

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread (although iPuma above explains a little bit about the rushing of the segment) but according to Jericho on his YouTube Q&A type thing the other day, the segment was his own idea. Could be nonsense of course, but that's what he said, in particular in terms of the teleport stuff. Personally I thought it was funny as a one-off, but not so much for Matt Hardy but because of Jericho's reaction to it all. Trying to keep a straight face, indulging in Matt's nonsense, and keeping calm about the whole thing as long as he could. As it's returning a favour for the Young Bucks, they can easily explain it as a one-off, then maybe use Matt in other ways. Here's hoping.

Edited by Mr.Showtime

I get what they're trying to do in terms of getting Matt over as a top tier signing, but he's just not.

Did he have more to offer than what WWE had him do towards the end of his run? Sure, he's a solid hand and could've been used, but he's never been a main event talent.

There's a reason why Jeff was always the solo star.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I get what they're trying to do in terms of getting Matt over as a top tier signing, but he's just not.

I know plenty will disagree with this, because WCW and TNA bastardised it as a concept this past couple of decades, but when you have someone come in fresh with talent and name recognition, you absolutely should be presenting them as a top tier signing and getting the steam out of a top feud before they drop down the card. It doesn't have to be long term and you certainly don't have to put them over your current roster, which I think was always the biggest problem with both those previously mentioned. Along with really egregious stuff like Brutus beefcake headlining Starrcade and Jeff Jarrett being WCW champion.

But certainly in the short term, if you get handed a fresh feud on a plate, you use it. They're doing that with Archer well and sort of with Hardy, although I'm not sure this isn't only being dragged out because they couldn't do Wargames.

A bigger problem is debuting Hardy and Luke Harper at the same time. They should have held one of them back. Not only can they not both go into important slots but they've nothing really for Harper beyond this Vince parody stuff. He should have been coming straight into a feud with Moxley or Cody while people care. Not messing about with SCU. Anyone can do that.

They are dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t with the Broken stuff. I’ve said before that I can’t imagine he has been sat on the sidelines desperate to recreate what he did in TNA years ago. But if they don’t get some steam out of it before going in a different direction they will have missed a trick. 
Play this for a while, get what they can from it and let Hardy go in a new direction. Especially if Jericho helps him reinvent himself, there is all the potential in the world for Hardy to add something of value