The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

My favourite thing on Dynamite was the young boys. At first I thought that Darby Allin would be nothing more than a hardcore stunt monkey. I couldn't be further from the truth. Where'd this kid come from? When it comes to the important things - selling, facials, body language - he's miles ahead of plenty more experienced folk. I thought he came across better than anyone in the crowdless environment. And then there's Sammy Guevara, who's reminding me of 1997 Shawn Michaels the more I see him.  

Very disappointing show though. I thought they'd step further outside the box but if anything this was a step back from last week. Lads interacting in the crowd was much missed, they could have at least kept up the audio of the boys cheering backstage. In a bubble, I quite enjoyed the commentary - maybe I just hate Excalibur that much and was relieved of his nasal nerd shrieking. But man, the low-key, conversational tone of Tony, Cody and Kenny just compounded the eerie, hollow feel of it all.

Matt Hardy :laugh:. If this is what the 'Broken' thing was all about then I'm kinda dreading his involvement in the main event scene. That was Black Scorpion levels of wrestlecrap. And I've a soft spot for daft early 90s nonsense, but inserting him into this blood feud? No fucking thanks. 

Call it a day boys. Tape a load of interviews, profile pieces, some vignettes or something. Hell, let Matt go mad and do a show in his backyard or whatever. Anything's better than this tragic shell of wrestling.

Have just seen the Matt 'teleportation' thing and Go,d it was awful. Just, really really bad. It's like a student doing their first bit of editing on a PC or something.

Have seen masses of people defending it and saying it was great on Twitter, which is even worse.

As has been said, if this was the kind of thing Vince refused to sign off on then he was absolutely right.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Anyone else really, really love Tony and Cody on comms? Its the closest I've heard wrestling come to having two proper broadcasts discussing the action. They were having a conversation and promoting stuff in the context of what they were watching. Its was great.

I really enjoyed the commentary. Kenny Omega was good in the opener too. I know Skiavone lost his way a couple of times but I much preferred him to JR.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Anyone else really, really love Tony and Cody on comms? Its the closest I've heard wrestling come to having two proper broadcasts discussing the action. They were having a conversation and promoting stuff in the context of what they were watching. Its was great.

It was a really nice change of pace. The Star Trek stuff cracked me up,  as did the stuff with Sammy and Brandi.

I'm not as down on the Vince references - if there are casual viewers, it'll go over their head. But it isn't entirely working by any means. I'll give it a few weeks though before fully writing it off.

It's a shame Kenny/ Sammy wasn't in front of an audience - I enjoyed it a lot, and it would have felt very different with an audience. 

Oh dear, that closing segment. Absolutely awful and hilarious. The Vanguard One stuff and the teleporting was incredibly funny, and if it had been half as long, they might have just got away with it. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Disgusting that they’re even running shows at a time like this tbh. They should cancel everything.

Not sure if you're serious or just point scoring but either way, I agree. These shows are so fucking pointless.

12 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

If this was my first time watching AEW, I wouldn’t watch it again. That Matt Hardy thing was embarrassingly bad.

Really? Even with them having to work around unprecedented restrictions you would never give them a chance after one shit show? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Disgusting that they’re even running shows at a time like this tbh. They should cancel everything.

Totally agreed. I get they want to prove they can do it, and they think they're providing something important - but they should have stopped after once. Should definitely stop now.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Really? Even with them having to work around unprecedented restrictions you would never give them a chance after one shit show? 

Likely not, it had a real bad TNA stink to it.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Likely not, it had a real bad TNA stink to it.

People throw that term around far too easily. TNA fucked up hard for many years, in mind boggling ways without learning from mistakes. AEW have shown unparalleled awareness when it comes to correcting mistakes.

Cody’s wife was involved in a diabolical story that got dropped quietly and unceremoniously, can’t think of anywhere else that would have that level of self awareness. If Steph or Dixie was involved with something that shit they would have just rolled with it regardless of how badly it bombed. Nightmare Collective wasn’t even an important put of the show, but they still acknowledged it needed to be binned