Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 30, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 30, 2020 1 hour ago, tiger_rick said: A bigger problem is debuting Hardy and Luke Harper at the same time. I disagree, though largely because of problems of their own making - they'd dropped so many hints that the Exalted One might be Matt Hardy that I think it was a good idea to have him come in on the same show, that way anyone who was hoping for him and let down doesn't leave empty-handed. The problem with the Broken gimmick is that it just doesn't gel with most of what else they do, and they need to tweak it until it does. It was at its best in Impact because it was allowed to be almost entirely self-contained, and at its worst in WWE when it was a bit of tacked on window dressing to whatever match was having on TV that week - he was, mostly, the same wrestler he was before, only his music started with a silly laugh now. If AEW can find a suitable middle ground for him, it could work. If they indulge him too much, it won't.
iPumaPants Posted March 30, 2020 Posted March 30, 2020 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: If AEW can find a suitable middle ground for him, it could work. If they indulge him too much, it won't. This is how I feel. I get that AEW want people to explore their own creativity, and say their own words, run their own gimmicks, etc, but it's a weekly episodic TV show, and the Broken Matt stuff doesn't fit at all with what they've been doing, and not in a good way. The teleportation stuff is (hopefully) going to be short lived, as they can't get away with that with a crowd. I get that they wanted to use the lack of crowd, but it was shit and they have to know that. AEW management/agents need to be more involved in the direction of gimmicks. Sure, have Broken Matt come in, but does it need to be "I'M MAGIC!" bullshit? Absolutely not.
WyattSheepMask Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 (edited) Starts on next week’s Dynamite, so presumably participants will be announced this week. Final to be held at Double or Nothing in May (assuming it still goes ahead) Edited March 31, 2020 by WyattSheepMask
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 31, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 31, 2020 First half of the bracket being revealed on tonights Dark, apparently.
Merzbow Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 So have they already filmed shows or are they still going out and performing?
Paid Members JNLister Posted March 31, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 31, 2020 They're still doing Wednesdays live for as long as possible, but they've also taped a bunch of extra matches that they'll use to cobble together shows if and when they can't film any more.
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 31, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 31, 2020 A secondary title is great news. I'm really hoping they put it on Darby Allin.
The King of Old School Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 I was hoping they would leave the tournament until crowds are allowed back in the arena.
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted March 31, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 31, 2020 42 minutes ago, The King of Old School said: I was hoping they would leave the tournament until crowds are allowed back in the arena. That was my first thought when I saw it this morning. Annoying seeing something potentially interesting on these pointless shows.
Paid Members Fatty Facesitter Posted March 31, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 31, 2020 Agree to an extent - on the other hand it's guaranteed fresh content and a new narrative to pursue in the current climate. We don't know when the crowds are coming back - as nice as it would be to sit on everything and wait for things to improve, you can't push everything back six months.
AVM Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 Am I the only person that thinks the whole Broken Matt schtick is well past its shelf life? It was amusing for a while, but I'm finding it pretty tedious now. Jake Hager looks great, I've nearly forgotten he was Jack Swagger. Great job from AEW and Jake himself with that.
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted March 31, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 31, 2020 2 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said: Agree to an extent - on the other hand it's guaranteed fresh content and a new narrative to pursue in the current climate. We don't know when the crowds are coming back - as nice as it would be to sit on everything and wait for things to improve, you can't push everything back six months. Is that you Vince?
WyattSheepMask Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 3 minutes ago, AVM said: Am I the only person that thinks the whole Broken Matt schtick is well past its shelf life? It was amusing for a while, but I'm finding it pretty tedious now I take it you’ve not read anything on the last 6 or so pages
Philjax Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 I would imagine the lineup is based heavily off who has been on the shows the last 2 weeks so not ideal, but it should elevate somebody! Is Pac even in the country still for instance? I think I would want them to strap a rocket to THE BUTCHER in this instance and just fire the other guy. He'd make a great first champ squashing all those jobbers for 6 weeks on Dynamite or Dark. Darby Allin is the most obvious shout as I think he's probably some years away from the World Title but I reckon he gets screwed in the final after going through hell. Potential lineup: Darby Allin, Kip Sabian, Colt Cabana, Joey Janela, SCU Member, Shawn Spears, Brandon Cutler OR QT Marshall (but hopefully neither) and a member of the Dark Order. Of course I'd rather interchange many of those with Jungle Boy, the aforementioned Pac, maybe Dustin, and Hager instead of potentially Brodie Lee.
The King of Old School Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 I think Cody will definitely be in.
Recommended Posts