The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I came on here to post just that. I saw the video on twitter this morning and it had me howling. "RELEASE THE HOUNDS" followed by half a dozen wee dugs on the charge is genuinely great.

As discussed, the Broken stuff works better if the people involved know it's a comedy gimmick. Hopefully this is just mostly Jericho and Vanguard.

Yeah, that's piss funny. The tiny, disinterested dogs mooching about whilst Jericho screams at a drone along with "That little bastard stole my t-shirt" got proper laughs. I don't need to see this shit infront of an arena full of fans but keep it on Twitter or on Dark and with plenty of involvement from Jericho and it's gold.

Edited by cobra_gordo

This is the best way to deal with the Broken bollocks. Have Jericho royally taking the piss and let Hardy play it straight. Keeps Jericho from falling down a rabbit hole of nonsense and shows Matt up as a right tit for not realising his gimmick is pants. 

That is absolutely mega. An inanimate object is more over than Hardy. Mad thing is, I really want Vanguard 1 to turn. "La Palais de Le Champion" was another great touch. AEW are great at adding rewatch value and fine details that flesh out the characters. Jericho's having a blast, just all in on the ridiculousness of it all. He has EXACTLY the sort of dogs a guy who calls himself Le Champion would have. Release The Hounds is a t-shirt waiting to happen.

I admit I skipped last week's show, but the clips I've seen of this week's have a nice lo-fi vibe to them so I'll check back in.

Edit: And did Jericho call Hardy "Dumbass-cus"?? I'm never unhearing that. Hardy's toast.

Edited by CavemanLynn
Did he? He did, didn't he?

A step back on track for Dynamite this week and as others have said, the Jericho video was sensational. 

Lance Archer looked pretty impressive and Jake's promo was excellent once again. Social distancing has worked wonders for Jake, these video promos are so bloody sinister. His initial promo with Cody was fantastic, but for me, this presentation has added a level of mystique and menace to the Archer/Roberts pairing. I absolutely love it. 

On the flip side, Brodie Lee's gimmick is a bit pants. Why does dressing and acting like Vince McMahon lend itself to a cult leader gimmick? Why is anyone following him in the first place, what does he provide them with? What is the point of The Dark Order? What is Lee's end goal? 

It's only a matter of time before he beats up one of his followers for using a 'banned term', mark my words. 

Don't get me wrong, wrestling characters based on pop culture figures can and have worked, but this just...doesn't. Given that they have apparently shot a few episodes in advance, I suspect this gimmick will long outlive its shelf-life. Which, to be fair, was zero weeks. 

Lee is a talented guy though, once they course correct he can and will be an asset. 

2 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

The Brodie Lee is stuff is comedy really, the only thing it does when he makes a subtle or overt reference to what we know about Vince is make me laugh, it's not intimidating or intriguing at all really.

That's gonna be the struggle, I think. His voice doesn't have any conviction or menace to it, so whenever he speaks it tends to make him less scary. It's early days, but his appearances so far have shown why he's mostly been in a bodyguard/tag team spot previously.

• Paid Members

I worry it took AEW months to rein everyone in, edit out all the shit ideas and slot everyone in productive roles, only to bring in a bunch of new guys and end up back at square one. I like Matt Hardy. I love Brodie Lee. Their ideas need a lot of work though and I feel the problems are less likely than ever to get addressed when they don’t even have a crowd to listen to.