The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Speaking of proper heels, where was Britt on the Muta scale last night? Maybe because you never really saw women bleed in wrestling much at all but that looked sick, it was just pouring out of her nose.

Edited by Merzbow

I thought this weeks show was excellent - full of solid matches. Really enjoyed Britt Baker v Hikaru Shida, Omega / Nakazawa v Best Friends and Cody v Speaks. Archer continues to look like a monster and simple and effective build to Moxley v Hager is good. Jericho on commentary was great fun and really added to the show. Good stuff. 

Britt was brilliant last night (is she not a heel if I acknowledge she plays a great heel?) Shout instruction to commentary, playing upto the camera and the mad look in her eyes were all great. Asking the ref for one of the gloves his gloves so she could stick her fingers in Shida’s mouth was clever touch.

Every time they say Murderhawk it makes me think of Step Brothers. Still though, the guy is a beast and Jakes promos continue to be the brilliant. They are such a solid pairing

Worst match I have ever seen Kenny Omega in. Didn’t like Jericho bringing up every embarrassing thing he has ever done. Saying he has had great matches with little girls and blow up dolls was not cool.

Cody and Spewrs had a great match, enjoyed the finish. Jericho did well at keeping the pace up and they had a good amount of video packages through out the episode 

• Paid Members

Thought that was another solid show given the circumstances. Jericho on commentary gave it a boost, there were a few good squash matches, Baker is way more impressive as a heel and the main event was good too.

They've gotta keep Omega away from his loser friends though. It brings out all his worst habits. Best Friends seemed to be trying to hold the tag match together but I'd be hapy if I never saw Nakazawa again.

58 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Other than PAC battering Nakazawa to piss off Omega I can’t think of anything he has ever contributed to positively. 

And they even forgot that for 3 weeks

With regards to what’s been said about AEW having “proper” heels, I think they’ve got a real possibility to have one with Lance Archer, and perhaps to the best for them to do that would be to have him take out Jake Roberts. Not right now obviously, but when they’re back in front of crowds and Lance has plowed through a few people, he takes out Jake saying that he’s his own man and can’t be controlled by anyone

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Jericho is clearly having the time of his life at the moment and that really makes anything he does enjoyable.

He's certainly on the positive side of the 'more creative freedom for wrestlers' argument, but it's not always the case that someone knows what's best for themselves.

Am I remembering this correctly?

Wasn't there a whole kerfuffle about WWE using the Broken Matt stuff when he & Jeff resigned in 2017 because Anthem “owned it” when they bought into TNA/Impact?

Have AEW had to agree something similar? Or does nobody care anymore because it was the flavour of the month back then

Edited by WyattSheepMask

22 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Am I remembering this correctly?

Wasn't there a whole kerfuffle about WWE using the Broken Matt stuff when he & Jeff resigned in 2017 because Anthem “owned it” when they bought into TNA/Impact?

Have AEW had to agree something similar? Or does nobody care anymore because it was the flavour of the month back then

He isn’t Broken anymore, now he is Damascus and in WWE he was Woken. Can’t imagine they’ll be able to own someone just talking like a dickhead as opposed to signature words. 

AEW should have called him Token Matt Hardy.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

It’s all coming across too TNA at the moment. Using broken-down midcarder Matt Hardy as one of the top guys is not a good look, and hopefully short lived. Harper doing the Voodoo Kin Mafia thing isn’t as bad, but is also very TNA.

Increasingly I’m thinking it was a mistake to have Kenny Omega fucking about in the midcard the whole time. He’s pretty much the only one of their stars who isn’t a WWE has-been or reject, so he’d help the company establish its own identity somewhat. As much as Bubbly Jericho and Wacky Ambrose are a laugh and have star power, they’re WWE guys. 

I’m also hoping that MJF doing a grand total of fuck all since he beat Cody is just because of the lockdown circumstances messing stuff about. Cody has been all over the shows since, but the win hasn’t done anything for MJF.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Increasingly I’m thinking it was a mistake to have Kenny Omega fucking about in the midcard the whole time. 

I'm fine with him beating mid carders in competitive matches for the time being. Don't want him tagging with nobodies against comedy tag teams though. That's dragging him down.

Not sure what more you'd do with him at the moment though. It's clearly holding pattern because his team with Page and that build to Wargames is all on pause. No point putting him in with Jericho for no money. Not many other decent heels on the shows other than ones who shouldn't be losing - and Kenny shouldn't be losing right now.

37 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Harper doing the Voodoo Kin Mafia thing isn’t as bad, but is also very TNA.

I made the comparison to Voodoo Kin Mafia last week to point out how far removed AEW is from TNA.

This is more like an episode of Peep Show than anything AEW are doing. Except Peep Show is funny