MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's fair, there was debate on here about whether Jericho should lose but that was all from the "we could book wrestling" angle that we all come at it from. On the shows leading up to and on those PPVs, the fans were for the babyfaces. Which is the goal.

I'm not convinced we'll ever get a purely hated heel again. Who was even the last one? You give Cena/Punk as an example of having a character to truly rally against but the guy to rally against was the promotion's #1 babyface.

The last one was Rollins. Before that, Reigns. Before that, Cena. Which again comes from the "we could book wrestling" angle - the most hated heel is a babyface "being shoved down our throats" when there's another babyface who is "buried" but would (in our fantasy booking) draw more money than the one who actually has the belt. In terms of actual heels, there's Corbin and Miz, but even with them it's the meta thing of not doing flips and never wrestling for NJPW, and being pushed ahead of guys who do flips and worked for NJPW. Of course there's Shane McMahon, and the Authority before him, but both of those were about the bookers booking "burials" and putting themselves over the talent etc etc.

I don't see a hated heel happening without the meta element, and I don't know how that's achievable in AEW because the company/fan dynamic is still Kool-Aid rather than toxic. Even when MJF is being a right bastard to Cody, we know that it's Cody who has booked it to be this way - so it's nowhere near as upsetting as Daniel Bryan getting screwed out of a title shot by Triple H, the creative head who (we assume) doesn't rate Bryan like we do. And so you never get the WrestleMania 30 moment of pure catharsis, or the WrestleMania 31 moment of Rollins saving the day from Roman Reigns. I guess that's my point - WWE can work fans into getting apoplectic by using history, Internet gossip etc, and those fans then treat the big match result like it's life or death. How can AEW do that, and who do they have who is viable as the target of the rage? Is it even important that they do it? I'd probably say it isn't right now, but it will become so once the new car smell has worn off.

13 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I don't see a hated heel happening without the meta element, and I don't know how that's achievable in AEW because the company/fan dynamic is still Kool-Aid rather than toxic.

To have a hated heel, you need a really beloved babyface. That's better in theory than practice as we saw from Randy Orton just a couple of months ago. But it's possible. If they get Adam Page into a top line position still being as popular as he is now and someone fucks him over, that person should get mega heat. It would be lovely to see someone actually manage that these days without the need for any insider aggro. They did it with MJF but they weren't really going with him afterwards so it didn't have the gravitas.

It is hard though. Your last three hated heels were all babyfaces. Your actual heels were hated for being shit, though Miz has got better.

I can't think of a really hated heel who wasn't an authority figure since Triple H. Though he was pretty much an authority figure.

Guys like Jericho and MJF are heels that fans do want to see lose, but not heels that make fans switch off their tele. Wrestling should be about generating emotion and excitement, not pissing the fans off as much as possible. 

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

It is hard though. Your last three hated heels were all babyfaces. Your actual heels were hated for being shit, though Miz has got better.

That’s the thing - you’re never going to get a proper heel in this day and age who has Internet points, and that applies more to AEW and NXT than it does to the big boy shows, because AEW and NXT have 0% normals in the crowd 100% of the time. (Raw and SmackDown at least have a chance of being in Bumblefuck, Alabama on occasion.) 

And in AEW, wrestlers can’t yet lose internet points for the same things that wrestlers can in WWE. So the only near future option I could see is by having someone be “shit” and wrestle like a heel, without doing flips and such. Like Cactus Jack in ECW when he was doing his pro-WCW rest hold gimmick. But even that would potentially be turned into a semi-babyface comedy thing pretty quick, even as I think of it now I can already see it being funny against Orange Cassidy.

The more I think about it, the more I think it won’t matter for a while yet and something might fall into place by the time it does - like a turn on Hangman. But there was a spell of about fifteen minutes the other day where I was trying to work out who’d be easiest on the roster to make a proper top bad guy.

Speaking of proper heels, where was Britt on the Muta scale last night? Maybe because you never really saw women bleed in wrestling much at all but that looked sick, it was just pouring out of her nose.

Edited by Merzbow

I thought this weeks show was excellent - full of solid matches. Really enjoyed Britt Baker v Hikaru Shida, Omega / Nakazawa v Best Friends and Cody v Speaks. Archer continues to look like a monster and simple and effective build to Moxley v Hager is good. Jericho on commentary was great fun and really added to the show. Good stuff. 

Britt was brilliant last night (is she not a heel if I acknowledge she plays a great heel?) Shout instruction to commentary, playing upto the camera and the mad look in her eyes were all great. Asking the ref for one of the gloves his gloves so she could stick her fingers in Shida’s mouth was clever touch.

Every time they say Murderhawk it makes me think of Step Brothers. Still though, the guy is a beast and Jakes promos continue to be the brilliant. They are such a solid pairing

Worst match I have ever seen Kenny Omega in. Didn’t like Jericho bringing up every embarrassing thing he has ever done. Saying he has had great matches with little girls and blow up dolls was not cool.

Cody and Spewrs had a great match, enjoyed the finish. Jericho did well at keeping the pace up and they had a good amount of video packages through out the episode 

Thought that was another solid show given the circumstances. Jericho on commentary gave it a boost, there were a few good squash matches, Baker is way more impressive as a heel and the main event was good too.

They've gotta keep Omega away from his loser friends though. It brings out all his worst habits. Best Friends seemed to be trying to hold the tag match together but I'd be hapy if I never saw Nakazawa again.

Other than PAC battering Nakazawa to piss off Omega I can’t think of anything he has ever contributed to positively. 

58 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Other than PAC battering Nakazawa to piss off Omega I can’t think of anything he has ever contributed to positively. 

And they even forgot that for 3 weeks

With regards to what’s been said about AEW having “proper” heels, I think they’ve got a real possibility to have one with Lance Archer, and perhaps to the best for them to do that would be to have him take out Jake Roberts. Not right now obviously, but when they’re back in front of crowds and Lance has plowed through a few people, he takes out Jake saying that he’s his own man and can’t be controlled by anyone

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Jericho is clearly having the time of his life at the moment and that really makes anything he does enjoyable.

He's certainly on the positive side of the 'more creative freedom for wrestlers' argument, but it's not always the case that someone knows what's best for themselves.

Am I remembering this correctly?

Wasn't there a whole kerfuffle about WWE using the Broken Matt stuff when he & Jeff resigned in 2017 because Anthem “owned it” when they bought into TNA/Impact?

Have AEW had to agree something similar? Or does nobody care anymore because it was the flavour of the month back then

Edited by WyattSheepMask

22 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Am I remembering this correctly?

Wasn't there a whole kerfuffle about WWE using the Broken Matt stuff when he & Jeff resigned in 2017 because Anthem “owned it” when they bought into TNA/Impact?

Have AEW had to agree something similar? Or does nobody care anymore because it was the flavour of the month back then

He isn’t Broken anymore, now he is Damascus and in WWE he was Woken. Can’t imagine they’ll be able to own someone just talking like a dickhead as opposed to signature words. 

AEW should have called him Token Matt Hardy.

Edited by UK Kat Von D