The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I like the run-down of the statistics - if that's a regular thing, I think it makes sense to do. Gives a little bit of a sense of who's important for newcomers and casual viewers. Jericho on commentary was brilliant - irritating and funny in equal measures, and engaged throughout. Between him and the audience, it added a fair amount for atmosphere. Considering I wasn't keen at all on Britt Baker a while ago, her match with Hikaru Shida was excellent.

The tag match - it isn't something I'm going to remember, and I find Nakazawa's schtick amusing enough. The shows are generally better than I've expected recently, and I found it inoffensive. Don't think it's the disaster some are making out - I don't think it was a win either.

Holy shit, but Jake Robert's promos are just next-level stuff.

I hope they can move into the stuff they have filmed in advance. It feels like the wrestling world is one of the few places still doing all this right now, and I'm worried it'll backfire on them.

46 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Do you actually believe the nonsense you come out with?

What lies are you talking about and do you actually think that is the only reason they have rankings and win-loss records?

The various lies they told to appeal to your sort. "Real sports feel" and "Wins and losses matter" and all that bollocks that you lap up. And to be fair to them, those lies have worked on full morons - you're so deep in the ranks of the AEW Defence Force that you can't help yourself but get apoplectic any time someone isn't All In, which never fails to make me laugh. Their rankings and win-loss stuff is a load of bollocks, same as WWE's Power 25 shite. The only way they'd make sense is if you take a load of cool-dude drugs before looking at them, or maybe if Scott Steiner taught you maths. And the thing is, it doesn't matter that they're a load of bollocks. It's a wrestling TV show, not the 1994/95 Division One league table. 

Edited by King Pitcos

Fuck me. If I never hear "real sports feel" thrown out as a dig against AEW again it'll be too soon. "Real sports feel" doesn't mean everything they do is a worked shoot MMA bout, it's just that the main focus is the happenings inside the ring and the wider arena with less emphasis on backstage events or other seemingly out of place skits such as limo's being blown up or monster trucks running over heel wrestlers cars etc. For those of us who aren't literalists, AEW have largely lived up to their "real sports feel" and "wins and losses matter" mantras.

Edited by Love-Wilcox

Thing is for the most part they've follow through on the wins / loss matters. They tried to avoid too much 50/50 booking, and generally a win at the previous PPV usually gives some indication as to where storylines are going. Naturally some of this has gone out the window with Coronavirus fucking up the booking a bit. 

Forgot about the little Luke Harper segment. This Vince stuff is really bad. He's one guy i wish had just come in sticking with his WWE stuff. His timing has perhaps been a bit shit as he'd probably have been a great fit for the spot Archer now has with Jake. Although with both of them coming in about the same time could have built them up separately face and heel for a big hoss collision down the line,

• Awards Moderator

The Brodie Lee stuff might work better if he’d changed his own look a little bit. He still looks exactly like he did in WWE which makes it that much harder to think of him as someone else. If he’d cut his hair, got rid of the beard, or worn something totally different in matches it would help.

• Paid Members

If they're gonna go the gimmick, might as well lean into it - have Lee wrestle in a black sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off worn over an orange t-shirt, big chunky elbowpads, weightlifting gloves, plain black trousers & boots.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:23 PM, Love-Wilcox said:

Fuck me. If I never hear a dig against AEW again it'll be too soon.

Fixed.

“Real sports feel" doesn't mean everything they do is a worked shoot MMA bout, it's just that the main focus is chasing drones or cult meetings etc. Such good shit.

I dunno, man. He’s always had loads of potential, with crowd engagement being one of his weaker points, and the competition for Best Empty Arena Match isn’t great. I’d be surprised if I enjoy it more than Rock vs Mankind, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s really good. 

It has already been recorded, so it isn’t so much a prediction as hyping a match he has already seen. Obviously it is his job to say it’s good, but I doubt he would be that confident in the match if it wasn’t very good 

I've just always struggled with Hager. Like there's a lot of people that are seen as underutilized and full of potential etc and most of the time I agree, but I felt he got as far as he could and should have in WWE. He's fine but I just don't see anything more than what he's offered already.

I guess if there was ever an opportunity to get something good out of him, it would be something like this heavily edited etc. So I'm definitely curious to see if it lives up to the hype.

14 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I dunno, man. He’s always had loads of potential, with crowd engagement being one of his weaker points, and the competition for Best Empty Arena Match isn’t great. I’d be surprised if I enjoy it more than Rock vs Mankind, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s really good. 

Surely it's Funk vs Lawler? "MY EYE!"