The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Nothing perfectly sums up what a disaster COVID-19 has been for pro-wrestling than Orange Cassidy going from a match of the year candidate against Pac, with thousands of fans going apeshit, to a match with Jimmy fucking Havoc dressed in a bin bag in an empty warehouse. Sad.

Edited by Supremo

Has anyone noticed the ring was smaller on Dynamite last week? And why that might be so? I’m guessing previous shows were recorded in empty arenas where as this one was recorded in their version of the Performance Centre. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Meej81 said:

Has anyone noticed the ring was smaller on Dynamite last week? And why that might be so? I’m guessing previous shows were recorded in empty arenas where as this one was recorded in their version of the Performance Centre. 

It was recorded in QT Marshall's training school so I presume they used whatever ring he has there. They also might have used a smaller ring for extra space for production equipment. 

4 hours ago, Meej81 said:

Most rings will be smaller. There aren't many companies that have used a 20x20 ring other than WWE and AEW. As said in the post above, these tapings were all done when they had to scarper out of Florida and do what they could at a training school.

53 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Most rings will be smaller. There aren't many companies that have used a 20x20 ring other than WWE and AEW. As said in the post above, these tapings were all done when they had to scarper out of Florida and do what they could at a training school.

I remember being jarred the first time I saw FWA and wondered why they were wrestling on a postage stamp. 

• Paid Members

I've just watched a couple of clips of the Bubbly Bunch on YouTube and they are tremendously daft. I'll be very surprised if the Inner Circle aren't huge babyfaces when they get in front of proper crowds.

It's mostly great because Jericho hams it up but it will be interesting to see if the other three can get a bit more shine out of it.

Jericho is working overtime on commentary and makes up for having no fans in attendance. He is putting everyone over great too even when heeling it up. Last night was great and everything hit its mark, video packages were awesome and matches were fun. Cody opened up good and put everyone over in the tournament, Matt Hardy was the best he has been in ages, Darby and Sammy will always be good, Orange `Cassidy was great and would have had a crowd eating out the palm of his hand and Omega had a nice little match. Dark Order is in a holding pattern which I don’t find that bad, wouldn’t say it’s good but it’ll do. Main Event was weak on paper, but that match was okay. Could have done with Archer running out to maul Dustin for a bit more of a dramatic ending, maybe including a some kind of short Jake promo. Imagine he will destroy Dustin to add heat to the finals with Cody
They can’t do much in the way of story telling but they are putting out fun easy to watch TV every week. 

Obviously we don't know when we'll see wrestling in front of crowds again, but it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity to have Orange Cassidy's first AEW victory take place in front of...well...no one. I'm not really sure what benefit anyone gained out of that. It feels like a waste of what could have been a special moment. 

Edited by RedRooster

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Obviously we don't know when we'll see wrestling in front of crowds again, but it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity to have Orange Cassidy's first AEW victory take place in front of...well...no one. I'm not really sure what benefit anyone gained out of that. It feels like a waste of what could have been a special moment. 

I think that's the problem - we have no idea. They've got loads of things that could be special in front of a live crowd - certain matches, debuts etc. But without knowing the future, they can't hold everything back unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think that's the problem - we have no idea. They've got loads of things that could be special in front of a live crowd - certain matches, debuts etc. But without knowing the future, they can't hold everything back unfortunately.

Even with that in mind, I don't think this was the right time for them to do that. Minimal build-up, an opponent with limited momentum and story build. Heck, if this was in front of a live crowd I'd have argued against it. Beating Jimmy Havoc on a random episode of Dynamite with limited build-up is such a huge waste.