The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I've just always struggled with Hager. Like there's a lot of people that are seen as underutilized and full of potential etc and most of the time I agree, but I felt he got as far as he could and should have in WWE. He's fine but I just don't see anything more than what he's offered already.

I guess if there was ever an opportunity to get something good out of him, it would be something like this heavily edited etc. So I'm definitely curious to see if it lives up to the hype.

I’ve always thought of him as a good mid-level heel to put against your up & coming face that you’re trying to get over, who can also slot into an upper card match to fill a gap, which is what AEW are doing here, but I’d never try to build the company around him. A solid enough worker who a face can bump for

Double or Nothing 2020 has been moved to a closed location to go ahead on May 23rd.

They've announced that Double or Nothing will return to the MGM Grand on May 29th 2021, with tickets bought for 2020 remaining valid or refunds are available.

Cant say that I’m suprised even with President Trump trying to reopen the country at all costs at the start of May

Dirty psycho shower of bastards, man. It’s going to blow up in their faces and one of the wrestlers is going to die from being forced to work.

That said, my moral code is pretty flexible when it comes to wrestling, so I’m still gonna watch the product.

9 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Feel sorry for the fans that thought AEW were different. Carny bastards. I wonder if Tony was always like this or being around wrestlers has turned him into a cunt. 

Well they aren’t holding live shows every week like WWE and have only announced one show to take place in five weeks time. So it isn’t really the same level as what WWE are doing. 
That being said they really should save it for when regular attendance shows are back on, for both safety and creative reasons. They postponed Blood and Guts because they knew it wouldn’t work without a live crowd, don’t see how this is different 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Imagine sitting through Wrestlemania, as I’m sure all of them did, and thinking, “yeah, pay per views without crowds is a good idea, we should do one.”

You know they all sat there and thought they could do it better. Which they probably can but it still won't be good.

31 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Ah yes, the old 'well what they're doing isn't quite as bad as what someone else is doing so IT'S FINE' argument. Cool.

When did I say it was fine? When did I say anything similar to it being fine? I said they shouldn’t be doing it. Pay attention. 

Filming two or three live shows a week is worse than filming one live show in five weeks. Unless you don’t understand what math is then that is a totally reasonable statement. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

You know they all sat there and thought they could do it better. Which they probably can but it still won't be good.

To be fair, for a company who does seem to learn as they go on, maybe the whole pay per view will just be daft, mad mini-movies? I’m not sure three hours of that would really work but it’d be preferable to shit, dull, lifeless empty arena wrestling.

3 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

That being said they really should save it for when regular attendance shows are back on, for both safety and creative reasons. They postponed Blood and Guts because they knew it wouldn’t work without a live crowd, don’t see how this is different 

They can't just postpone everything, because there's no guarantee they can pick up where they left off. If Jesus rocks up tomorrow and says everything's gonna be back to normal on June 15th, fair enough. It might be possible to squeeze through a couple of months with repeats of stuff without the TV stations fucking it off. But it's unlikely Jesus will do that, so we don't know how long it's going to be before arenas and stadiums are back open. Big crowd gigs could be one of the last things to come back. If it's six months, eight months, a year, filling the time in between now and then with Matt Jackson vlogs from his house isn't going to cut it. They can't keep every storyline ticking over for that long with no wrestling happening. When things came back, they'd essentially be relaunching the promotion - at the same time that loads of other, more popular things in the world are also relaunching.

Wrestling isn't built around season premieres and finales the way most other sports and TV shows are. The ongoing churn is its big appeal, not just to the TV networks but to the audience. It's always there. It's rarely a big, exciting event like a new Game of Thrones season, but it's something you can rely on every week when there's nothing else on. Game of Thrones gave an hour or so for about ten weeks a year. Between WWE and AEW, there's nine hours of new wrestling on cable TV a week. Even if it's just on as background noise, it's something new.

Keep in mind as well that a lot of what keeps us on here still following wrestling is the backstage gossip. With fuck all happening though, there's nothing for Bryan Alvarez to REEEEEE about. All the sub-Meltzer clickbait YouTube channels with their silhouette thumbnails would fade away. There'd be little cause for new On-Topic threads on here. Sure, the Usos and Jeff Hardy would get arrested now and again, and Cody might get another awful tattoo, but that's not enough to keep us going.

TL,DR; With no end date to social distancing measures, wrestling either does stuff without crowds or waits for a live audience that might not come back. Both have risks. They can, to some extent, mitigate the risks that come with doing empty venue shows.