The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

That Nakazawa match is the worst Dynamite match since launch, the guy is awful and made Omega look terrible by association. Would gladly never set eyes on him again.

After a tough start Kenny was really finding his way and I was beginning to see why he's so highly rated, but he is suffering from the hangman not being around.

The wooden pre match segment was nearly as bad as the match itself. Only bright spot was Jericho's commentary. 

7 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm fine with him beating mid carders in competitive matches for the time being. Don't want him tagging with nobodies against comedy tag teams though. That's dragging him down.

Not sure what more you'd do with him at the moment though. It's clearly holding pattern because his team with Page and that build to Wargames is all on pause. No point putting him in with Jericho for no money. Not many other decent heels on the shows other than ones who shouldn't be losing - and Kenny shouldn't be losing right now.

It’s not so much about what he’s doing, it’s that the rest of the singles main event scene is just WWE guys. Aside from Page and Omega, every PPV so far has been headlined by someone from WWE. And now they’re at the stage where they bring in WWE midcarders to do the “Vince bad” promo and go straight to the top spots.

Shouldn’t judge too much on the current shows because of the restrictions, but I don’t get the impression that Hardy and Harper would have been radically different if there were crowds in. And it’s not so much the content, moreso the sense that every WWE release means one less spot on the next (+90 days) PPV for an MJF, Jungle Boy, Lucha Bro etc.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

It’s not so much about what he’s doing, it’s that the rest of the singles main event scene is just WWE guys. Aside from Page and Omega, every PPV so far has been headlined by someone from WWE. And now they’re at the stage where they bring in WWE midcarders to do the “Vince bad” promo and go straight to the top spots.

Shouldn’t judge too much on the current shows because of the restrictions, but I don’t get the impression that Hardy and Harper would have been radically different if there were crowds in. And it’s not so much the content, moreso the sense that every WWE release means one less spot on the next (+90 days) PPV for an MJF, Jungle Boy, Lucha Bro etc.

I know what you mean. Apart from the Luchas though, who are being underutilised, none of those guys are nearly ready to be the big deal yet. Not even Allin and Sammy. So from that point, I don't mind them cycling in a guy with name recognition and getting what they can out of him for now. Hopefully that helps all these talented guys improve and evolve without getting exposed early and then dying a death. 

There is a tipping point which I hope they see. For now, they've still hot a small roster, especially at the moment, which was exposed after a few weeks of Dynamite as being same old. So there is scope to add to it. Plus, if these guys aren't being put over, it's not bad. Spears is a good example. He came in, they gave him a spotlight, "their" guys beat him, he dropped down the card.

That's where I don't get the TNA comparison. TNA didn't just put guys in spots, they put them over their fresh guys time and again. 

5jx8gdl.jpg

Look, I know it shouldn't, but these ranking needs some sort of transparent and mathematical formula.

One thing I love about the NJPW G1 is every night checking out the scores and seeing who needs to win what to get points. But the points don't seem to matter at all. I rather they leaned on these or don't have it at all.

I mean, how can Jericho be ranked 2 without a single victory this calendar year? 

XH8eu1z.jpg

The women's is just as guilty. Why is it Statlander is higher up when Baker actually has the same number of victories and less losses?
I wish they could keep it simple.

> Every victory equals a point. Every loss equals a minus point. This determines rank.
> In the event two competitors have the same points, then overall determines who is higher up. OR whoever had more victories over the other goes higher.

If they want to go down the more realistic sporting route, then fucking do it. Have something I can sink my teeth into. Also it needs meaning. The top ranked guy should always been the number 1 contender. Otherwise these rankings mean jack shit. I should be able to look at this and go "well such and such is getting the next shot UNLESS such and such beats them next week".

Or maybe I take this too seriously.

• Paid Members

They also factor in who they beat, and Stadtlander's win over Riho gives her more ranking points, I guess. I mean, it's just a bit of fun with a hint of "science" behind it.

As for Matt Hardy, Anthem surrendered all rights to him early in 2018, so he could have done Broken in WWE but Vince doesn't like anyone else's ideas on his show.

Omega's always been a wrestler that is serious one week, comedic the next. He came up through DDT, where that's not seen as a problem. While he's taking a backseat to help others get over as top guys, I guess he's trying to train AEW fans to accept that, too.

And the ratings? I don't wanna sound like an apologist but there's this thing going on called a pandemic which is kinda taking people's attentions away at the moment...

3 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

TNA had Christian Cage turn down a contract with WWE and choose to sign with TNA. Did anyone else choose TNA over WWE? TNA was filled with WWE rejects, signing whoever they could and putting them over their younger homegrown talent. AEW have acts like The Revival who seem to be just waiting for their opportunity to leave WWE, which we have never had with TNA. TNA never had guys like Orton entertain the idea of switching, even as a transparent try for a pay rise.

Obviously the landscape is different now that WWE wants to sign every wrestler they can, but all the former WWE guys walked away from contracts to be in AEW. They haven’t automatically signed anyone from WWE they can. They’ve gone after the big names and the under utilised.

Wonder if AEW could do a "Indy exposure" type deal where they have a Indy prospect against an aew name to save burning through matches, do a video package of guy and helps Indy guys with bookings/making money in this dodgy world.

Assume if they could bring guys in it would only be Florida based which limits options as all the other factors that could hinder things.

54 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Wonder if AEW could do a "Indy exposure" type deal where they have a Indy prospect against an aew name to save burning through matches, do a video package of guy and helps Indy guys with bookings/making money in this dodgy world.

Assume if they could bring guys in it would only be Florida based which limits options as all the other factors that could hinder things.

You mean TNA Gut Check?

I don’t think they did a particularly bad job on Gut Check, just seemed daft to waste that much TV time building people for a one off appearance.

Better building their wrestlers and bringing jobbers in to give their actual roster a couple wins and a better record. It is going back to basics but they might as well do that as much as possible while fans aren’t expecting regular programming 

34 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I don’t think they did a particularly bad job on Gut Check, just seemed daft to waste that much TV time building people for a one off appearance.

Better building their wrestlers and bringing jobbers in to give their actual roster a couple wins and a better record. It is going back to basics but they might as well do that as much as possible while fans aren’t expecting regular programming 

Normally yeah but I was thinking about the current issues to fill tv but not burn though matches or future feuds, since both company's seem to have a limited roster (although wwe have non tv nxt/pc guys to use in that spot)