The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I hear Kenny Omega went back and forth in a competitive match with a guy not even signed to the company.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Meltzer has been in fine form over it on twitter apparently.

I haven’t got that far into the show yet so no idea how long the match went or anything

17 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I hear Kenny Omega went back and forth in a competitive match with a guy not even signed to the company.

Jericho covered it pretty good I think. He said it was a tune up for Omega, like a comedian doing a five minute set to keep up to speed. They talked about it like the guy had no chance and that Omega wasn’t in danger, but then got surprised while the kid showed unexpected skills. Jericho was saying stuff like “this kid can use the fact he landed a move on Omega as part of his highlight reel” and saying how even working with Omega would look good on his resume. 
That could either be the way Omega set the match out, or just Jericho being really fucking good at salvaging anything in front of him. I enjoyed it a lot, but I don’t think I would have without someone as good on commentary 

I'm usually the first to shit on Omega's bad instincts but I didn't particularly have a problem with it. I thought they framed it fairly well, Jericho always does a good job in covering for Kenny's self sabotage. Loved the vid of Tazz going over Omega's various techniques for the V-TRIGGER and snap German thing too. It was definitely a step up from watching Omega piss about with Nakazawa's underwear the other week anyway.

Sammy/Darby was great - snug, bloody and grounded and completely different from their first match. 

Jimmy Havoc though. I didn't think a skippable Orange Cassidy match was possible, but there it is. Fuck that. I get that they're short staffed, but if there's anyone whose aura should be preserved and saved for a live crowd, it's Orange Cassidy. Looks like Havoc already knows he should get in the bin.

Is that the first time they've advertised BTE? I've never watched it but I'm gonna have a look. That Jackson vs Jackson match looks like a right laugh.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Omega should've been putting a guy like that away easily. Terrible booking really.

They were rushing to shoot a load of shows quickly. Rightly or wrongly (wrongly), Kenny doesn’t give two fucks about coming off like a big star in AEW, and the match filled six minutes of TV - a two-minute squash would’ve meant coming up with something else to do for those four minutes. Which seems doable, but if they’re taping four or eight shows at once or whatever it is, going a bit longer on matches takes some of the pressure off to come up with other content for the limited number of performers that are there.

And as Maxwell said, they could explain it away easy enough on commentary for it to be passable.

My main question from the show: Is Sammy gonna fight Funhouse Matt and Jericho fights Fiend Matt, or is it the other way round?

6 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

My main question from the show: Is Sammy gonna fight Funhouse Matt and Jericho fights Fiend Matt, or is it the other way round?

Tag Match, obviously. I really like the sudden switch, forgot that Matt knew how to do a proper promo like that. He could go Mick Foley with a few characters that all interact with eachother 

17 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Tag Match, obviously. I really like the sudden switch, forgot that Matt knew how to do a proper promo like that. He could go Mick Foley with a few characters that all interact with eachother 

Shit, they can actually do it as well. I’d love it just for how much it’d drive Cornette nuts! 😂

It’d be a thing for the Revival to moan about as well, if they’re coming in doing the Tag Wrestling = Serious Business gimmick.

6 hours ago, Supremo said:

I watched the match. It wasn't that bad. Jericho actually put over "Kenny's holding back a little bit to give the younger guy the opportunity" which I thought was really sound logic. Watching the match it came across like that too.

When his opponent kicked out of the first V trigger you could also see Omega, not be frustrated, but instead say "oh okay... it's like that? Good kick out, now Im going to hit you full force." Omega then handily put him away with a V trigger.

Personally I thought it was "competitive" but they actually very intelligently structured it in a way to say "Kenny isn't going 100% here, but he knows he could end this at anytime."

• Paid Members

The V Trigger also isn't really Omega's finish anyway, it's the set-up to the One Winged Angel. He's not going to bust out his kill move on a jobber, but that also doesn't mean that his set-up is going to get the job done on its own either.

There was a story I hoped they would tell at one point, that Excalibur alluded to during (I think) the Omega/Jericho match, when Jericho was able to escape the One Winged Angel, and counter some of Omega's stuff. Omega relies so heavily on sequences of moves to get to the point where he can eventually hit his finish, that the best way to counter that is for his opponents to recognise the sequence and stop him from completing it. I was hoping that would lead to Omega developing some new moves, or a new approach, and growing as a wrestler, which would be a really interesting SPORTS-BASED PRESENTATION angle to run.

In terms of kayfabe justifying why Omega didn't just squash a guy, it's easy. There's what's already been discussed, that maybe he's not taking him 100% seriously so not working as hard as he would against a Jericho or a Moxley, maybe he's being a nice guy and letting him get some shine in for his first TV match, that's all fine. But maybe it's because he doesn't know the guy as well as the guy knows Omega. There's a ton of footage of Kenny Omega out there, on AEW, on NJPW, and elsewhere on YouTube. If you wanted to scout him, it's easy. If Omega wants to scout the new guy? That's trickier, and that puts him at a disadvantage.