The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Some of them look like decent future prospects too. The guy Jimmy Havoc faced on Dark and Lee Johnson both seem like they have something so hopefully they're given more chances in the future.

I thought this was another good show given the circumstances. Cody vs Darby was fine but nowhere near as good as their first two matches - the finish made Darby look stupid and I wasn't sure what the Brandi stuff added to it. I'm enjoying the Wardlow and Brodie Lee squashes (hopefully Marko goes for Wardlow left, that should be a fun massacre). Best Friends vs the Goth 'n Jock Connection was a fun hardcore match, but they should really keep Orange Cassidy away from these no-fan shows. Doing his shit to no reaction is taking the shine off him quite a bit in my eyes. Lance Archer came across as a vicious bastard in the main event and him vs Cody should be a great scrap.

Really enjoyed the Britt Baker and Jon Moxley promos too - struggling to see who Moxleys next challenger could be though. Maybe MJF, but even that seems a little too soon.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Really enjoyed the Britt Baker and Jon Moxley promos too - struggling to see who Moxleys next challenger could be though. Maybe MJF, but even that seems a little too soon.

According to the rankings (I know, I know), it should be Kenny Omega or Lance Archer. While I enjoyed the hardcore match, I wouldn't object to a more straightforward Omega/Moxley match.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Archer would be fun, if done once Jake is back by his side again. Him and Mox trading promos would be great and there'd be some decent brawls in that series. 

While I agree, I think that's worth saving for a while. Archer isn't ready to lose yet.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

While I agree, I think that's worth saving for a while. Archer isn't ready to lose yet.

Do we think they're putting that TNT title onto him then? Because it makes less sense having him dabbling around the mid card to maintain a non losing record. 

It could be an interesting final. I'd like to see them do something completely different and just have Archer brutalise Cody to the point of being DQ'd in the final. Cody wins the belt but instantly there's a slew of contenders that say he doesn't deserve the belt and got it because Archer didn't want it. 

If they place Archer as a killing machine he could be the one to topple Moxley. Maybe having Jake back in the corner to influence will stop him going down the route of throwing away a victory the second time round. Archer takes the belt has a run with it for a few months and eventually because at some stage Cody will have to win the belt even though he's not allowed too, Jake and Archer call out Cody for a match as he's the only person to not actually be beaten by Archer. 

Would lead to a full circle redemption for Cody. Have MJF and Jericho both face Cody as ways of erasing those mistakes on his part with both claiming that he shouldn't be allowed the title match and fighting him for it. You build into a match where Cody has to survive, make it no DQ so that the same mistake from Archer isn't made twice. 

I've wrote all that and you know they'll just go with Cody rolling up Archer now. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Do we think they're putting that TNT title onto him then? Because it makes less sense having him dabbling around the mid card to maintain a non losing record. 

I don't think it's a bad idea. Have him destroy Cody, take the title, then feed anyone and everyone to him for the next while. Moxley's only just got the title - he could do with a reign too, and a solid couple of defences. Eventually, have it be that Archer can only challenge for the world title if he vacates the TNT title or something.

I like your version as well, except that I think Cody not being able to challenge for the world title should stick. Have Cody work with the TNT title long-term instead.

• Paid Members

Yeah Archer must be winning and it's the right move. He's been great so far and feels like a huge deal. They've booked him excellently and he works like a killer. A babyface champ and a killer heel on the rise as secondary champ feels like the right thing to do. Feuds against Darby Allin or Hangman Page are very enticing too.

The roster has some shitarses still but it feels like they're steadily building a really strong stable of homegrown stars: Archer, Allin, Page, Sammy, Cassidy, Santana & Ortiz, Scorpio Sky, Britt Baker. Just need to get Pentagon and Fenix to that next level now to round it up.

• Paid Members

I'm probably alone in this, and that's fine, but I've become so used to these shows in front of half a dozen people that it barely registers as being weird any more, and I'm not sure it's affecting my enjoyment one bit. I've especially liked them since they went to QT's school rather than Daily's Place, where it's smaller and darker.

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Eventually, have it be that Archer can only challenge for the world title if he vacates the TNT title or something.

That could actually be a good loophole if they ever want Cody challenging for the main belt again. In a rare occurrence of TNA doing something worth nicking, treat it like Austin Aries' Option C where they brought in the rule that the X Division champion could vacate the title for a shot at the world belt.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Moxely telling us to call our grandmothers was amazing, promo of the year!

I don't know about promo of the year, but it was by far the best promo anyone has cut since the pandemic began, simply for the fact that he acknowledged it. After weeks of WWE guys acting like weird, emotionless robots, continuing to pander to a crowd that isn't there and doing everything possible to pretend nothing's happening, it was refreshing as fuck to have someone act like a real person.

"Tough times never last forever and I promise one day we will all be back together and I will be bleeding and swearing in a sea of fans once again."

Typical AEW, doing super simple, basic stuff, but it feeling like a complete revelation after years of major league pro-wrestling being scripted by an oddball , senile weirdo exclusively.

The Moxely promo was an amped up more character based version of what I suggested Roman Reigns do in the Smacky D thread. 

5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

"Tough times never last forever and I promise one day we will all be back together and I will be bleeding and swearing in a sea of fans once again."

From a guy in Reigns position that would be such a feel good quote. Mox nailed it though and I understand why WWE won’t do that. I just think their reasons are stupid 

21 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Give it up Kat Smacky D isn't getting over.

The only people who it isn’t getting over with are just pissed off that I’m not their Daddy. I’m going to push it for the next few years regardless