The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

57 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

I agree with him that we dont need an authority figure really. But the reason he gives is proposterous considering all the shite they have on their show.

Why didnt he just say whathe really means which is "we dont do it because we know people whinge about wwe doing it"?

Just because he didn't need to, I suppose. We all know what he means. And between stuff like the throne entrance, the Harper McMahon impressions, and Ambrose's "I used to wrestle in WWE! Hey remember me from WWE? I didn't like it! I'm in AEW now. I was in WWE though! WWE WWE WWE" real life gimmick, they've already been leaning on WWE references a bit much.

1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

They can still go a few ways with this. 

Have Archer get disqualified for too much brutality. Jake can cut a great promo about how it was never about the belt etc.

Have Dustin throw the towel in leading to a heel Dustin feuding with Cody. Possibly on a road to retirement. 

Have Cody cheat to win and allow the cracks to start to show about how much titles mean to him. 

Has a tournament final, especially one for a title, ever finished in a DQ before? I mean, if not then there’s probably a reason why it hasn’t

Edited by WyattSheepMask

9 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Has a tournament final, especially one for a title, ever finished in a DQ before? I mean, if not then there’s probably a reason why it hasn’t

Agreed it is a horrid way to end a tournament, it was more to show that they do have options. 

They could do a time limit draw and have the judges award it to Archer for being dominant through out. AEW wheel out legends to act as judges incase a winner must be decided.

Edit: hopefully the judges aren’t there live and it’s a few old boys on live stream.

I reckon the most likely scenario is for Dustin to throw in the towel to save his brother’s life. That story would have more layers than an onion 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

I now really want it to go to a time limit draw, but maybe where Archer has Cody destroyed but refuses to end it, and Cody getting a last-second desperation rollup that misses the final bell, just so we might get Arn Anderson vs Jake Roberts arguing their cases for their respective charges. I'd eat that up.

• Paid Members

I made the suggestion of Archer getting DQd a few pages back and I still think it's the best option. 

Have Jake not in his corner as he has f been for the last few weeks and have Archer just lose it and destroy Cody and get DQ'd. You either then can go like 3 different ways, have Archer hunt Cody for the belt, have Archer move onto someone else like Ambrose or even Omega or someone for a small story and that allows a host of heel challengers claim Cody doesn't deserve the belt as he won it by being beaten senseless. 

You get the idea with Cody even though he's VP his character is always worried about living in the shadow of everyone else or that he's not seen as world class. So you get the fighting champion in him until he meets Archer again. Putting what is essentially a weekly TV belt on Archer is gonna take the shine off him real quick when he should just be appearing to squash people. 

9 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

They hardly ever use DQ finishes for regular TV matches, they won’t use it for a tournament final to crown an inaugural champion 

That's why it would be good. 

They can push the fact that referee's occasionally show a little leniency and discretion when it comes to potentional DQ situations, and that emphasises that the match had gone too far, that Archer had gone too far, and there was nothing else the referee could do. 

19 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I made the suggestion of Archer getting DQd a few pages back and I still think it's the best option. 

Have Jake not in his corner as he has f been for the last few weeks and have Archer just lose it and destroy Cody and get DQ'd. You either then can go like 3 different ways, have Archer hunt Cody for the belt, have Archer move onto someone else like Ambrose or even Omega or someone for a small story and that allows a host of heel challengers claim Cody doesn't deserve the belt as he won it by being beaten senseless. 

You get the idea with Cody even though he's VP his character is always worried about living in the shadow of everyone else or that he's not seen as world class. So you get the fighting champion in him until he meets Archer again. Putting what is essentially a weekly TV belt on Archer is gonna take the shine off him real quick when he should just be appearing to squash people. 

I love all of this.

• Paid Members

AEW Unrestricted podcast this week us really interesting. Tony Khan breaks down how the last months of shows happened and the logistics. Very informative and he comes off very well. Crazy that a guy with limited wrestling and production experience wrote weeks of decent, logical wrestling TV in one evening on his own last minute with a severely limited crew at his disposal. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

It would totally shit on the new title though, and Cody too. In fact, I'm not sure how Cody could even accept it like it given his character so far. It's hardly "Doing The Work" if you win a title by getting your head kicked in is it? You'd be essentially turning him heel, but in a very very weak way.

Dustin throwing the towel in is the way to go for me. It would put over Archer without hurting Cody and give you loads of interesting options going forward. 

Have Archer get DQ'ed, then gimmick the belt so he can rip it in two with his bare hands. Have him destroy Cody and tear apart Cody's big new project. Jake has said all along he's only after Cody's 'share', and Archer just wants to hurt people; I doubt he cares if it's for a title or not.

• Paid Members

Regardless of how you feel about all the scumbags in pro-wrestling and MMA still doing live TV shows during a global pandemic, there’s no denying that this was easily the best empty arena show anyone has produced so far.

Those last ten minutes in particular were absolutely fantastic. So much fun. The stuff with the golf carts was brilliant!

Sammy Guevara is THE BEST.

When it’s good it’s fucking great.