The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

11.37am and no comments in here or the NXT threads, has the shine worn off? 

Nobody is making must see TV and everyone has more free time to view it at their leisure. I used to have to stay up to watch it, but today I didn’t even roll out of bed till 11 before sticking it on.

Decent show with a couple of really good bits like Dr Britt Baker. Cody and Allin have great chemistry as well.

This episode had a lot of black guys being used as jobbers. Most likely down to the area they are in, but it felt a bit weird only having white roster guys battering black workers over and over. If you went into this episode cold, you would assume the booker hates poc.

5 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

This episode had a lot of black guys being used as jobbers. Most likely down to the area they are in, but it felt a bit weird only having white roster guys battering black workers over and over. If you went into this episode cold, you would assume the booker hates poc.

Yeah this stood out to me during this set of tapings too. Britt curb stomping the lass a couple of weeks back rubbed me the wrong way a bit. At least they're finally doing something with Scorpio Sky, hoping that sticks when the crowds come back.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Nick James said:

11.37am and no comments in here or the NXT threads, has the shine worn off? 

Empty arena wrestling is a chore to watch and no fun really. I'm sure many feel the same.

Not a real knock on the product.

2 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Nobody is making must see TV and everyone has more free time to view it at their leisure. I used to have to stay up to watch it, but today I didn’t even roll out of bed till 11 before sticking it on.

Decent show with a couple of really good bits like Dr Britt Baker. Cody and Allin have great chemistry as well.

Yeah, without crowd noise AEW loses a lot of what makes its matches so fun.

Having said that, the silence added to Archer/Rhodes, which was a brilliant match. Watching him smash Dustin's head into the mat to utter silence made Archer's actions feel all the more violent. 

He's absolutely brilliant, I can't wait to see him face Moxley. 

I agree with @UK Kat Von D as far as POC go. For a company that really marketed itself on diversity, its men's roster kind of lacks in that. It does look like Scorpio Sky is about to get a push though, and he deserves it. I also hope they give Sonny Kiss a chance soon, he's great. I've said it a lot, but it's a crime that the terminally bland QT Marshall gets more main show TV time than he does. 

QT Marshall is the Dolph Ziggler of AEW for me, I find him unwatchable. 

I can’t recall where I read or heard it (possibly Cody) but it’s been said that Tony Khan has planned to push Scorpio Sky since before they even started running shows. Hence him getting the spotlight in replacing Christopher Daniels in the SCU tag matches, being the first tag champions, inflicting Chris Jericho’s first pinfall loss in AEW, getting the World Title shot and largely being protected. Remind me, was it Kazarian who ate the pin when they lost the tag titles?

Also, according to PWInsider, Tony Khan sat down and wrote the last 4 weeks episodes on his own ‘in a matter of minutes’ when the situation (with travel, crew, etc) became evident. Cody helped out. According to the report, Khan is a massive fan of Memphis Wrestling and Continental Wrestling.

Edited by uklaw

I felt like the Cody v Darby match was a bit of an awkward clusterfuck, that ending was lame and along with forgetting which leg to work more than once it made Darby look a little dumb. It also 100% looked like Cody fucked over his missus on purpose, too, coming back out with the water added nothing either.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I stomached about a week of silent shows then binned it off. I’ll watch again when the crowd’s back.

I can imagine that if you consider wrestling to be a performance art and are motivated by the moves themselves, maybe a bit like the silence in some Japanese venues, then its not too bad. But I need all the bells and whistles otherwise the deathly silence and no one watching just makes it feel pointless really.

• Paid Members

I’ve not seen a lot of Dynamite, but the bits I have seen also suggest Chris Jericho is the best commentator in the business right now. Manages to do heel colour better than anyone in forever. He’ll be getting my vote for commentator of the year.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I made this point to my mate too. On Dark the night before the 3 jobbers on that show were all black too. It would be nice to see some black representation that isn't getting battered by a white bloke.

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I made this point to my mate too. On Dark the night before the 3 jobbers on that show were all black too. It would be nice to see some black representation that isn't getting battered by a white bloke.

I think they are getting a lot of their jobbers from QT Marshall’s school which is based in Atlanta Georgia, according to Google the racial composition of Atlanta is black at 52% and white at 40% 

So it makes sense that a lot of his students would be black and it is good that they are giving guys opportunities. It just doesn’t come off well when Scorpio Sky is the only poc who isn’t getting beaten with ease and Marko Stunt is the only white guy who gets battered.

If that is AEW’s primary school for training new prospects I would expect them to have a pretty diverse roster down the line. It just looks bad right now when they are having to rely more on squash matches using only local talent